Gears for numpties

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Gears for numpties

Post by nirakaro »

Pushing my luck perhaps, but my long-cage Deore mech handles 48-36-24 front and 12-36 rear.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Similar with mine, a MTB long cage 9speed derailleur can do 44/36/26 and 11-36 with a KMC chain. Does take the entire chain though, can't shorten it.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks nirak and st - I may have messed up things with excessive tinkering - will have more of a fiddle and report back.
The rear mech I am fiddling with at the moment is the XT 771 SGS long cage.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:58pm Will come back with answers soon- bike is currently locked away in my B&B accommodation and the owner is out so I’ll get the info as soon as poss.
How's it going?

Thanks

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

Sweep wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 8:49am I seem to be having trouble getting a build of mine to run properly with 44/32/22 and 12-36 - I thought it should work as was under the impression that it just mirrored my Hewitt but then I found that Mr Hewitt had actually put an 11-34 on the back and this may have skewed things.
Sweep wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 3:10pm The rear mech I am fiddling with at the moment is the XT 771 SGS long cage.
Judging by the photograph below I think that is a non-'Shadow' design derailleur, which was only designed to cope with a 34t maximum sprocket. Shimano introduced the Shadow design with subsequent versions, e.g. RD-M772 (second photograph below), which were specifically designed to cope with 36t largest sprockets (lower slant parallelogram). Chris Juden has written a number of posts on this.

I think you might be able to get your derailleur to work with an extender, but in your shoes I would get a 9 speed Shadow SGS derailleur. The XT version is discontinued, but as has been pointed out above Shimano are still making Alivio 9 speed components, and an Alivio SGS rear derailleur is probably your best bet (and likewise what the OP may need if her current rear derailleur is not a Shadow model).

Last edited by slowster on 17 Sep 2021, 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks slowster.
I have the alivio mech bike on another bike with a 36T big cog at the back (tho less difference at the front).
will check things out and report back.
Sweep
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Sweep wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 8:49am
LittleGreyCat wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:19pm Had my Spa Wayfarer down geared to make the hills slightly easier.

700C wheels
44/34/24 front
11/36 rear

Any lack of hill climbing ability is now strictly down to my legs.

I can spin out in top gear going down hill but that tends to be around 30 mph so is sufficient for me.

As others have said, you need to check that the derailleurs will handle the gear range.
Can I ask what rear mech you use to handle that capacity?
I seem to be having trouble getting a build of mine to run properly with 44/32/22 and 12-36 - I thought it should work as was under the impression that it just mirrored my Hewitt but then I found that Mr Hewitt had actually put an 11-34 on the back and this may have skewed things.

Hope my question isn't too ignorant - haven't redone my maths/double checked shimanospecs before posting - but still interested in your mech, particularly as I know there is SOMETIMES a bit of leeway with some shimano bits.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s225p38 ... S-Wayfarer
I don't think that they have changed the specification since I bought?
"Shimano Alivio RD-M3100"
Oh, just looked and it is a Deore.
No idea of the model number at the moment.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have that RD on my xc bike.

No maintaince and has run perfectly for the past 5 years.

Cheers James
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I have 11-34, and 22-32-44, which gives me 17.8" - 110", but when I looked a couple of years ago I couldn't find anything currently available that would give me the same range.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

slowster wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 6:27pmYou are better informed than me, but the higher quality components, i.e. XT and Deore rear derailleurs, are no longer available,
XT maybe not. I bought the last of them.

Deore M592 are still on sale, if you do a little bit of searching.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Hi all, back in the uk now (I got to Marseilles and I’ll post a couple of comments on the route elsewhere) and as I look at out local hills planning on posting all the gear info later today.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

nirakaro wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 1:12pm Pushing my luck perhaps, but my long-cage Deore mech handles 48-36-24 front and 12-36 rear.
Ditto with the Deore long cage - I have 44 - 34 - 26 with 105 10 sp and 11--36 rear cassette on my road bike.
I've recently bought a 12-36 9sp cassette and didn't realise that they may be discontinued.
IMO Mrs HJ's mechanic was wrong to impose his own gear preferences - I can remember some years back on this forum someone requesting advice for cycling in the Alps - one reply was "you only need to go down to 36 x 25 you'll be fine with that."
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 3:14pm
MrsHJ wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:58pm Will come back with answers soon- bike is currently locked away in my B&B accommodation and the owner is out so I’ll get the info as soon as poss.
How's it going?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hello, thank you for asking back now and keen to tackle this- will unwrap everything this afternoon and post the numbers.
slowster

Post by slowster »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 12:11pm will unwrap everything this afternoon and post the numbers.
As well as posting the numbers, I suggest you enter them into the calculator below. It's the best of the various gear calculators available online, and will allow you to compare your current set up with potential changes.

It's quite intuitive to use. Under 'Display', I suggest you select 'Gear Inches', because that is probably what most of us use to measure and describe gears, especially when discussing bottom gears.

http://www.gear-calculator.com/

Once you have entered your data, click on 'Link to the currrenty selected setup' at the bottom left hand of the page, and then include the URL of the new webpage in a post on here.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Ok, will do the calculator in a mo.

Finally reporting back post some Dartmoor hills fairly loaded and I had a few hills which were problems.

The back is now 11-34. It’s a slightly different block to last summer- which I think was 11-32.

The front is (tell me if I’ve picked up the wrong info and where else to look) shimano sora 9S 50-39-3C (it could be a 30 that has been slightly rubbed off but not necessarily). This was an emergency replacement when I was in the states and wrecked my crank but pretty sure they did like for like from what the uk mechanic had put on.

700c

I’ve now put this into the gear calculator but I don’t understand the output - nb I had to use 30-40-50 as there was no 39 and I used 29 as no 700c.

Looks like people might want some more info- will go and get that in a moment.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 12 Jun 2022, 2:12pm, edited 4 times in total.