Dartmoor

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Dartmoor

Post by st599_uk »

I see in this morning's free commuter paper that a Dartmoor byelaw consultation is coming out soon looking at banning wild camping, caravans, motorhomes and BBQs due to bad behaviour during the last 20 months.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Dartmoor

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Very difficult to police especially bad weather.
Fat chance.........NEVER :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Consultation on draft revisions to Dartmoor's byelaws
Dartmoor National Park Authority today agreed draft proposals to review Dartmoor’s byelaws.
There will now be a public consultation which will start week beginning September 20.

https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u=21 ... b1024dbadb

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:36am Hi,
Very difficult to police especially bad weather.
Fat chance.........NEVER :!:
Those drones will have difficulty seeing through the fog and mist. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

More details here https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/__data/asse ... eports.pdf (pg 49) (via the link posted by Jonathan). The bit on camping seems to be clear it is not intended to ban wild camping:

"Camping: This byelaw has changed significantly to address the rise and impact of so-called ‘fly camping’ and also to re-affirm the original intention of the Dartmoor Commons bylaws - to allow backpack camping away from roads and buildings as part of a walk or expedition"

and

"The revised byelaw makes it clear that camping is only allowed if you are in a small tent that can be carried in a backpack and in groups of no more than 6 people."

Tom