Chainring sortout

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NickJP

Chainring sortout

Post by NickJP »

I eventually (after many years) got sick of searching through multiple boxes every time I wanted a chainring of a particular size and BCD, so I put up a pegboard, emptied all the boxes onto the floor, and hung up the chainrings sorted by BCD and size. I was actually a bit shocked to find how many I had accumulated over the decades:
PXL_20210910_040419240.jpg
Seeing them up there reminded me of a conversation with a farmer who collected tractors, and one of his sage pieces of advice was: "Never line them all up next to each other".

My wife, as an ex-librarian, was so thrilled at seeing order out of chaos that she made no mention at all of the sheer number of them.
Jdsk

Re: Chainring sortout

Post by Jdsk »

NickJP wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:47amMy wife, as an ex-librarian, was so thrilled at seeing order out of chaos that she made no mention at all of the sheer number of them.
Dewey-eyed?

: - )

Jonathan
pq

Post by pq »

That is a lot of chainrings, far more than I have, and I thought I was bad. You appear not to have my excuse of having a load of old track and TT chainrings from my racing days either. Having said that I am quite good at re-using old ones till they wear out and then binning them.
One link to your website is enough. G
rjb

Post by rjb »

pq wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 4:44pm Having said that I am quite good at re-using old ones till they wear out and then binning them.
I reuse all mine reversing them when needed until worn out. I then cut all the teeth off to use as a chainguard. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D