West Kernow Way - polite request from a farmer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SteveStuth

West Kernow Way - polite request from a farmer

Post by SteveStuth »

Hi, anyone doing the West Kernow Way (WKW) just a polite request from a farmer at Polkanuggo Farm; just before the village of Stithians (between Mabe Burnthouse & Lanner).

He has had an outbreak of Bovine TB and had to cull 11 cows already. To prevent any more spread the farmer has asked if anyone doing WKW diverts via the lanes around the farm.

The link below shows a map where the dark line represents the WKW route; you can by-pass the farm by staying on the A394 and taking the second left then take a left at the fork to re-join the route.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae8bs4p2ag2kw ... n.jpg?dl=0
rjb

Re: West Kernow Way - polite request from a farmer

Post by rjb »

I would have thought diversion of public paths would be an issue for DEFRA. Whilst I sympathise with the farmer Bovine TB is not spread by humans, so diverting routes without authorisation is spreading the wrong message.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Bovine TB: Reducing the Risk of Human Infection: Information for farmers"
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s_2015.pdf

"Transmission of M. bovis can occur between animals, from animals to humans and, more rarely, from humans to animals and between humans. Transmission to people can occur through consumption of unpasteurised milk and unpasteurised milk products from infected animals. It is also possible to contract M. bovis infection by inhaling the bacteria shed by infectious animals in respiratory and other secretions, or through contamination of unprotected cuts or abrasions in the skin while handling infected animals or their carcasses, although this is rare."

"Relevant regulations require farmers to adopt appropriate measures to minimise exposure of employees and farm visitors to infections that can be transmitted to humans from animals."

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 8:40am "Bovine TB: Reducing the Risk of Human Infection: Information for farmers"
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s_2015.pdf

Snip
I’m unsure of what it is you’re trying to say?
Are you implying the farmer is trying to protect the health of cyclists? Rerouting to avoid passing over ground some culled animals walked over last week.

I’d suggest the farmer is upset over loosing cows. Probably has never been keen on cyclists passing through and looking for any excuse to not let them through.

Is this legitimate? I don’t think so and if it were there are a lot of TB hot spots you’d better prepare for not being allowed into.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Can't say I blame him. He is going through a tough patch and anything that may help or even appear to help should be applauded. The agriculture of our country is considerably more important than people leisure and as there are alternatives it would be churlish in the extreme to refuse his request.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mattsccm wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:10pm Can't say I blame him. He is going through a tough patch and anything that may help or even appear to help should be applauded. The agriculture of our country is considerably more important than people leisure and as there are alternatives it would be churlish in the extreme to refuse his request.
Plus one.

A responsible action by the Farmer who has already suffered loss and doesn’t want neighbouring farms to similarly suffer, and possibly reinfect him at some later date. If the general public can help then they should help, Bovine TB is a really serious issue for Dairy and Beef Farmers and it can also impact on the food chain.

From my years of local experience gained by talking to Farmers outbreaks of TB can be limited/isolated to one farm. Sometimes the TB is brought in by wild animals and sometimes unwittingly via the purchase of an infected animal that joins the herd. Additionally domestic pets (dogs) belonging to walkers have been known to bring in diseases - I’d have never thought it necessary in cattle supporting farmland but please remember to pick-up after your dog.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I know I’m not a very sympathetic person and I am slightly, in a pleasant way, surprised at the support given in the two previous posts to the wishes of a farmer.

I don’t know the farmer, the farm or even the area.
mattsccm wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:10pm Can't say I blame him. He is going through a tough patch and anything that may help or even appear to help should be applauded.
Perhaps matt knows him? How is it a 'tough time' tougher than the normal. He is living and farming in SW England the whole area is a 'dirty' area for TB. It’s not for no reason they are in a 6 monthly testing area.
I thought the evidence of transmission from human to bovine was rare yet somehow it’s a good thing to let the man think otherwise. I can’t agree with that it’s pandering to what they want to believe and absolving themselves from any of their actions. I’m sure his movement book would be up to date otherwise his payment would be in jeopardy. Be advised movement records contain ID tag numbers not the actual animal.
mattsccm wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:10pm The agriculture of our country is considerably more important than people leisure and as there are alternatives it would be churlish in the extreme to refuse his request.
If agriculture has become more important than people's access to the countryside then that is very worrying. You’ve poor access laws in England to begin with. I haven’t tried to find the place on a map but I could agree on alternatives if it helps a business and is not onerous to the user.
A quick search for Polkanuggo Farm shows they have converted cattle sheds into holiday cottages and seem to be fairly reliant on tourism. Will their occupants be told not to go walking on any neighbouring land? I have my doubts.
A search for Stithians produces an interesting Ashley and Hilary Wood who have an enclosed Improver herd. They are a prominent voice on TB in the area and have spoken with ministers on the subject. The cynic in me thinks if they have become infected then the way animals are valued for compensation might be well below their perceived valuation.
It’s up to you guys what you think but I’d be very very careful of allowing people accessing the countryside to be up there with the hated badger. Speaking as someone with a lifetime experience of working for and with farmers I can assure you visitors are often tolerated and rarely loved. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

E2E info
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

An update from the route team on this one (ie. me and others)

On hearing about this we, out of respect for the farmer and understanding of his upset and concerns, have re-routed the main published GPX to avoid his farmyard.

We felt this was prudent and responsible of us as part of working *with* communities and landowners to benefit everyone rather than there being any real scientific evidence of BTB spread through rights of way use, or legal need to. We have already been able to confirm this is a recorded ‘breakdown’ (ie. failed test) rather than just someone trying it on, and we have spoken to the farmer to make him aware of the reroute.

This was also out of consideration that the Bridleway does go directly through his farmyard rather than around it - as it happens I think that current diversion procedures are difficult, unwieldy and expensive and could be simplified in order to allow reasonable diversions around working farmyards for biosecurity & health reasons and we have been involved in discussions to that end in Wales as part of the access reform groups.

We took the opportunity to modify a couple of other small things at the same time, where we found people had had difficulty, so the GPX files available for download have been updated and a mail sent out to those who registered their details to download the new route.

Also to confirm that we wouldn’t recommend turning right along the A-road, there’s a better route that takes riders off earlier down a lane and then the only stretch of A-road is through a speed restricted area with Gatso camera, (and pavement too) so much safer.

You may be aware that there are a couple of other ‘contentious’ spots on WKW, where we have put forward evidenced claims regards unrecorded higher rights. We remain confident on these and the site with the most ‘grief’ is a neighbour rather than landowner (similar issue encountered with a neighbour ok KAW). Detail on all the ‘lost way’ sections available here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/what-are ... kernow-way

ED273113-9698-48A3-85C9-E4236B06A566.jpeg
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would definitely cut the farmer some slack on this. They are going through a very difficult and horrible time and are clearly struggling to find a way through it. I'd try to find some generosity of spirit and keep away until they are through this situation. It doesn't matter whether the suggested diversion serves any practical function. The thing that matters is that the farmer thinks it does, and for their state of mind we should divert. As one human being helping another.

Just to be clear, I am not normally compliant with landowners arbitrarily re-routing public rights of way. A farm a few miles from where I live has a sign up, permanently, asking people not to use a public footpath across two fields because it might scare the livestock. If every farmer with livestock did that, and folk complied, there would be little of the PROW network left. So I ignore that sign. But on this occasion, with these exceptional circumstances, I would stay away. This is a request for a bit of help, from someone who is struggling.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The main mode of transmission is respiratory. I don't know if there is much supporting evidence for measures like closing paths through a farm with cases of TB, *however* it can be spread by manure, and it's generally not recommended to share uncomposted manure or spreading equipment between cattle farms, spread uncomposted manure in areas where cattle will graze, etc.

So, I don't think that it is an unreasonable measure, under the circumstances. The farmer may very well be trying to protect other herds or farms.

A vaccine for bovine TB is being trialled, now. Hopefully that will be effective and become available, soon. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 084604.htm
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pwa wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 7:58am

<snip>
But on this occasion, with these exceptional circumstances, I would stay away. This is a request for a bit of help, from someone who is struggling.
I would agree with all you have said,
But
1 If there really are exceptional circumstances no one has AFAIK yet mentioned them on here. Loosing stock to BT is very much the norm, not exceptional, in hot spot areas.
2 What’s he 'struggling' about can you tell me? I don’t think @matt has explained yet why it is a tough time :wink:

However my research does show contrary to the OP it’s an order, not a polite request, and in force until the 11th of October.
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/aodb3 ... notice.pdf

E2E info
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Oh my! I thought I was part of a group that feels unseen by the general public and uncared for.

And yet, the lack of sympathy to someone whose livelihood could be ripped from underneath him if TB gets into the rest of his herd is absolutely staggering. A herd is often built up over years and cannot simply be replaced by ‘buying another one’.

Diverting your ride is not going to change your life, have a heart.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 9:06pm Oh my! I thought I was part of a group that feels unseen by the general public and uncared for.

And yet, the lack of sympathy to someone whose livelihood could be ripped from underneath him if TB gets into the rest of his herd is absolutely staggering. A herd is often built up over years and cannot simply be replaced by ‘buying another one’.

Diverting your ride is not going to change your life, have a heart.
Are you referring to my comments perhaps?
I think this thread has been full of sympathy and I fully agree complying with an order and take an alternative route without question.

You are obviously privy to information I haven’t found I didn’t know there was a rest of the herd but there again it’s rare initially for all animals to be infected. It’s a 57 acre farm of grazing where the owners have diversified (began keeping livestock) to help their application for the removal of planning restrictions on their holiday cottages.

A herd is often built up over years and cannot simply be replaced by ‘buying another one’. if this were true there would never be any livestock sales other than fatstock and no one would have ever restocked after F&M. Whilst the valuations for TB aren’t as generous as the heady days of 2001 I wouldn’t worry about his cash flow.

Probably 50 years of working for and with farmers has left me a little more cynical than the upright rosy characters many here appear to believe they are.

E2E info
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

It's not passing from cow-to human-to cow. It's walking on ground or grass that has the virus then that same person walks on the grass of another farm. Standard procedure for all types of animal contagions.

Yup, some unpleasant people here
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

MarcusT wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 5:22am It's not passing from cow-to human-to cow. It's walking on ground or grass that has the virus then that same person walks on the grass of another farm. Standard procedure for all types of animal contagions.

Yup, some unpleasant people here
That’s right Marcus and as to why it is an order that not even I are disagreeing with.
Initially I was challenging catering to the whims of a farmer which the OP brought to attention lacking any reasons.

Your last sentence suggests plural but please correct me if I’m wrong what you’d have liked to say is person. I’m feeling persecuted for offering facts and a viewpoint built with experience from differing viewpoints which offer feelings, thoughts and presumptions from the authors minds.

If someone skids a car with 4 bald tyres do you have sympathy for them?
Maybe a comment in my second post was a little subtle for those not in the know but based on what I know of outbreaks from years ago I’ll repeat it.
Be advised movement records contain ID tag numbers not the actual animal.

E2E info