Touring in the 50's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wheelyhappy99

Re: Touring in the 50's

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Just seen this topic and the posts about racks with 3 point fixing. They certainly flexed, even with fairly light loads. The one supplied with my Galaxy had a flat metal strip bolted to the c/p brake pivot. It eventually broke and rotated backwards until it picked up on the mudguard reflector, pulled that back too so it cut into the back tyre. Not great descending a long French hill. Replaced with four point fixing.
The joys of learning by experience.
cycle tramp

Re: Touring in the 50's

Post by cycle tramp »

Tigerbiten wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 2:45pm The biggest weight saving I can think of is from new weatherproof fabrics.

A cotton tent could be a couple of Kg when dry but double that when wet, whilst a modern tent stays a couple of Kg wet or dry.
Waxed cotton works (think Barbour jackets) but is heavy and stiff when compared with a modern outer layer.
Wool jumpers vs a modern fleece, less bulk/weight for the same warmth.

Luck ...... :D
'Cept of course the woollen jumper is breathable, anti-bacterial and I've found can be ridden in mist and light rain without you getting wet (my body heat rises through my clothing layers to the wool of the jumper and causes some of the moisture in the wool to evaporate)....plus it doesn't shed mirco plastics into the oceans every time its washed

I also have a ventile jacket used in very bad weather... whilst it gets stiff in the rain I found that the rain water just rolls off from it.. perhaps a different quality of ventile is used today?