A sad,sad loss.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
francovendee

Sad news

Post by francovendee »

I've just heard the sad news that Iohan Gueorguiev who has been travelling the world on a bike has died.
The tribute is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGPBTf1Yys
I've watched all his youtube videos and he came across as a warm, adventutous person with a love of the world.

At 33 it's a sad loss to long distance cycling and mankind.
If you don't know of him take a look at his travels on youtube.
colin54

Re: Sad news

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the post, that's poor news .
His calm spirit was reflected in his great videos, a sad loss indeed. RIP.
A tribute at Bikepacking.com
https://bikepacking.com/plog/iohan-gueo ... 1988-2021/
Nu-Fogey
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Something in writing from bickepacker.com:

“Hello friends, it is with a heavy heart that I pass this news. Iohan’s journey in this world came to end on August 19th. He had been struggling with insomnia caused by sleep apnea for several years, and it was finally too much for him to bear. There will be memorial services in Canada and hopefully Ushuaia to help his journey to the next. We will share these with you all. In the meantime, please consider donations to suicide prevention organizations or sleep disorder awareness foundations in Iohan’s name. And certainly reach out to those who you love and let them know that you do. We’ll miss you Iohan. Fly high, brother, fly high. RIP Iohan Gueorguiev. 1988-2021”
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

This is very sad news indeed. I have followed this lovely inspirational man on youtube for a couple of years watching all of his videos and cannot believe that we will not see his wonderful clips anymore. I would often just watch his travels instead of the TV.
Such a humble and gentle man but with a determination and strength not seen in many on a bike.

Truly a great loss
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Saw this yesterday sad loss indeed.. a true gentleman. Hard to believe how or why.
I am here. Where are you?
hamish

Post by hamish »

Iohan was incredible. He was gentle, humble, inspirational and amazingly tough and stoic.

I loved his videos and although I never met him I felt I knew him. I guess we all did to an extent… except for the fact he was obviously battling with things we didn’t see. So very very sad.
molly

Post by molly »

Such sad news. His videos were awesome and his exploits inspired me. I feel like I have lost a close friend.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I also followed his progress on YouTube, after a recommendation on here. He lived his dream and probably packed more into his tragically short life than most of us can only dream of.

How desperately sad that someone who connected with so many had nobody to turn to when he most needed support.
pwa

Post by pwa »

An apparently cheery person who lived not far from where I live took his own life recently and people were expressing shock that someone who appeared so stable and at ease with the world chose to end their life so suddenly. Some people are just so good at keeping their feelings to themselves, and it leaves the rest of us thinking "If only we had known".
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, very sad.

I only recently learned that Damon Peacock, of audax you tube fame also sadly departed recently https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119610.0
reohn2

A sad loss

Post by reohn2 »

Iohan Gueorguiev a sad loss to the world of one of the most influential cycletourists :- https://youtu.be/9QGPBTf1Yys
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Re: A sad loss

Post by colin54 »

Indeed it is John, francovendee started a thread about Iohan's death here.
[topics merged by moderator]
I remember speaking to you about him when we went on a ride one time.
Nu-Fogey
Norman H

Re: A sad,sad loss.

Post by Norman H »

[topics merged by moderator]
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 11:38pm Iohan Gueorguiev a sad passing one of the most influentual cycletourists :- https://youtu.be/9QGPBTf1Yys
I've watched his travels almost from the start. It sounds daft but it feels like a personal loss.
His warmth towards people and all living things was very infectious. He also had the gift of making good videos with beautiful photography.
You would never have thought he had problems, so his death has come as a surprise.
It may be he managed by going on his epic rides and not being able to do this since the pandemic had a bearing on his death.
I shall certainly miss his updates.

I watch a number of bike travellers but he was my favourite.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 8:30am
reohn2 wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 11:38pm Iohan Gueorguiev a sad passing one of the most influentual cycletourists :- https://youtu.be/9QGPBTf1Yys
I've watched his travels almost from the start. It sounds daft but it feels like a personal loss.
His warmth towards people and all living things was very infectious. He also had the gift of making good videos with beautiful photography.
You would never have thought he had problems, so his death has come as a surprise.
It may be he managed by going on his epic rides and not being able to do this since the pandemic had a bearing on his death.
I shall certainly miss his updates.

I watch a number of bike travellers but he was my favourite.
I agree with all of that,his loss seemed personal to me also,his personality and film making were/are second to none,it's with a heavy heart I started the thread a sad,sad loss fornthe world not just cycling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
As I posted on the other thread if the mods wish to merge the threads or delete this one please do so.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden