Eurovelo 15 - Andermatt

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mediumbird

Re: Getting to Andermatt for the Rhine Cycle Route

Post by mediumbird »

The muddiest track was day 1 from Oberalpass. The other off road routes were forest tracks or canal towpaths. Not sure why the flickr link doesn't work, think the album is set to public.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

FatLad1980 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Or fly Lufthansa to Munich and get the Flixbus to Chur and train to Andermatt. No dismantling required and in theory possible to do in a single day!

Accommodation in Andermatt is quite expensive and tbh I wouldn't use the campsite except as a last resort - it really is poor and very exposed. I went last time in August 2014, there was fresh snow on the passes and at 1400m (Andermatt) it was quite chilly - I was glad of a hotel room and the underfloor bathroom heating! (I flew to Basel and did a big loopy tour, I had to abandon plans to go over the top to Disentis etc as the weather was too dire!

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

The one reason I want to go by train is because I really don’t want baggage handlers throwing my bike about, or the hassle of having to deal with bike boxes.

I’d be looking to go mid May. I’m going to the Cycle Touring Festival at the beginning of May and then will be cycling the Trans Penine Trail to Hull to visit family. This would be perfect opportunity for the ferry to Rotterdam as it saves any expensive of travelling by train to Hull at a later date to do the trip.

To clarify - Lufthansa and indeed Flixbus do not require any packing of bikes just the removal of panniers/bar bags. I took my carbon road bike with them in 2016 with nothing more than a bit of pipe lagging on it - arrived in perfect condition.

The Hull ferry is indeed convenient but it's also quite expensive but I guess if you are using long distance train travel too that's not an issue for you.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

mediumbird wrote:The muddiest track was day 1 from Oberalpass. The other off road routes were forest tracks or canal towpaths. Not sure why the flickr link doesn't work, think the album is set to public.

The link works when clicked here, just not when copy n pasted in a text message.
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

foxyrider wrote:
FatLad1980 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Or fly Lufthansa to Munich and get the Flixbus to Chur and train to Andermatt. No dismantling required and in theory possible to do in a single day!

Accommodation in Andermatt is quite expensive and tbh I wouldn't use the campsite except as a last resort - it really is poor and very exposed. I went last time in August 2014, there was fresh snow on the passes and at 1400m (Andermatt) it was quite chilly - I was glad of a hotel room and the underfloor bathroom heating! (I flew to Basel and did a big loopy tour, I had to abandon plans to go over the top to Disentis etc as the weather was too dire!

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

The one reason I want to go by train is because I really don’t want baggage handlers throwing my bike about, or the hassle of having to deal with bike boxes.

I’d be looking to go mid May. I’m going to the Cycle Touring Festival at the beginning of May and then will be cycling the Trans Penine Trail to Hull to visit family. This would be perfect opportunity for the ferry to Rotterdam as it saves any expensive of travelling by train to Hull at a later date to do the trip.

To clarify - Lufthansa and indeed Flixbus do not require any packing of bikes just the removal of panniers/bar bags. I took my carbon road bike with them in 2016 with nothing more than a bit of pipe lagging on it - arrived in perfect condition.

The Hull ferry is indeed convenient but it's also quite expensive but I guess if you are using long distance train travel too that's not an issue for you.

Interesting. I'd still be worried about it getting damaged though.

The ferry is indeed the most expensive part. Using the Dutch international railways website it was showing as €40 to Andermatt which is pretty good going, but that doesn't include any bike charges.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cruiseferry is an experience and does save paying for one overnight

There is live music on board, several restaurants and TWO cinemas
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

FatLad1980 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
FatLad1980 wrote:

Interesting. I'd still be worried about it getting damaged though.

The ferry is indeed the most expensive part. Using the Dutch international railways website it was showing as €40 to Andermatt which is pretty good going, but that doesn't include any bike charges.

That sounds remarkably cheap. You will need an international bike ticket, last time I needed one it was @ €20. I would want to confirm that price by speaking to a real live human though.

As an aside it's about a 20km ride from the ferry to Rotterdam railway station including a major river crossing so when booking give yourself plenty of time from landing to get there. There is no passenger rail from the terminal area.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

Question for those that have done this.

Where you have the option to cycle on either side of the Rhine could you advice which side is the best, please advise where to switch sides.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

FatLad1980 wrote:Question for those that have done this.

Where you have the option to cycle on either side of the Rhine could you advice which side is the best, please advise where to switch sides.

There are many bridges and ferries
Many towns spread over both sides, can not be avoided
Either side is good probably
FatLad1980

Post by FatLad1980 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

I was thinking of things to see, wouldn’t want to cycle past them because I’m on the wrong side of the river.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

FatLad1980 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

I was thinking of things to see, wouldn’t want to cycle past them because I’m on the wrong side of the river.

The thing is, there's stuff on both banks. For example, Xanten, a huge Roman town complex is on the west bank, a few miles south, Kaiserswerth with its castle is on the opposite bank. So the best thing is to actually check on the maps and plan your crossings accordingly.

Only you will know what you want to see so any advice on here will always biased to the givers preferances.

There are bridges and ferries at decreasing frequency as you head towards the sea although there are two ferries between Rotterdam and the coast.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to do the trip twice, once left and once right of the river

The Rhein Gorge in Germany is full of castles and historic towns

In your place I might (a) read up, decide what museums, towns, castles interest me, or (b) not bother to plan and see what happens :wink: It is worth learning a bit of German and/or French
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Any advice on booking trains from Basel to Andermatt, please?

The Deutsche Bahn website lets me find trains that carry bikes but doesn't offer reservations.

The SBB website says that I'm too early to book for June.

Thanks

Jonathan
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

See this post from the past:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=119154#p1192240
I should never book a train in Switserland beforehand.

Peter
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

So how did it go and how did you decide to get there?
Hope you had a good time!
:D
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

Hello everyone, I'm new here!!
I'm planning my 1st ever long-distance solo trip along the Eurovelo 15 (Rhine).
I am in Devon, UK.
My plan is to get the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland (in July 2020) then catch a train down to Basel/Zurich for Andermatt.
I heard there was a sleeper train to do this in one hit from Arnhem to Zurich but cannot find any such tickets online. The closest I can find is a change half way and anything up to EIGHT change (!!!!!) which i'd rather avoid.
My bike is basic and doesn't fold and I don't wish to pack it. i will be camping the whole way.
PLEASE can anyone suggest a way to get to Zurich or Basel from Hook of Holland? (I don't fly)
Or an alternative route via Eurotunnel/Paris which will actually take a bike?!
I bow to your superior knowledge and hold out hope for a positive response????!!!

with thanks, demelza