Cycling the Ridgeway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Cycling the Ridgeway

Post by nirakaro »

I've walked it, centuries ago, and I'm daydreaming about revisiting it on a bike. But I can't recall how cyclable it would be, for one who can do knobbly tires, but doesn't have suspension, and is really more at home on tarmac. Anyone remind me?
Aikon

Re: Cycling the Ridgeway

Post by Aikon »

It’s doable on a gravel bike, better on an MTB IMHO, I’ll be on it this week and taking my MTB.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I cycled it in the mid 90s. Early MTB, 18 speed no suspension.

All doable, except some deep mud pools. Which were doable, as long as you didn't mind slime over your gears.

Worth doing, but aim for a dry period.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Cycled it earlier this year on a sportive and then while doing King Alfred's Way. Ruts were annoying but I'd been lucky with weather so wasn't too slippery or the puddles too deep. I was using 2.6" tyres though!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I did it one spring mid 80s it had been a wet spring and rained a bit on the weekend I did it, indeed there were times I gave up on sections and resorted to using parallel roads so deep was the mud in places. Think I turned up at the hostel to be greeted by some fellow hostellers just popping out to the shops with; Oh look a lady rough stuffer... such was the amount of mud splashed up my legs.
If doing it I would do it asap while we have had a reasonable dry spell and the tracks will be fairly dry. My ex had done it the Easter of '76 when they only found one area of mud typically the only place one of them came off :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells