CTC type plastic Bike Bags Lidl

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
delilah

CTC type plastic Bike Bags Lidl

Post by delilah »

Just to let you know that Lidl are selling the plastic CTC type bike bags for £3.99. Useful for touring by air with a bike. Marked with a cycle, good quality and much cheaper so there should be no complaints from the Airlines???
Steve

Re: CTC type plastic Bike Bags Lidl

Post by Steve »

Hmmmm......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Couldn't find them can you post a link? Are these there middle isle thing or a regular item?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

you don't by any chance delilah mean the bike covers they sell now and again - for keeping dust off a bike in a garage or whatever?
would those be accepted by an airline?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sweep wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:09am you don't by any chance delilah mean the bike covers they sell now and again - for keeping dust off a bike in a garage or whatever?
would those be accepted by an airline?
I bought one of those in a ¥100 shop. Pretty sure they would double up as a bike bag for flying. Mine is 100 deep by 200 wide which is more than big enough.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I have seen the bike covers they are presently selling. These are for covering bikes in transit as on the back of a car or just protective covers from the weather.
I am not sure that they would be as tough as the CTC plastic bags which I have used a few times while taking the bike on airlines. I may be wrong but they certainly don't look the same thickness in the packet on display in Lidl
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Today I noticed a bike bag in Aldi. This seems very substanstial indeed and more so than the ones in our local Lidl store. The Aldi ones have a handle and I think would be very useful by comparison with the CTC plastic bags available

Pity I am not about to fly off anywhere soon.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

We've booked to go to Spain, flying out on 24th December! No dog to look after now and just don't want to be here, people who I don't want to see coming round for free food and drink, well this year they'll be in for a shock, be nobody here!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 9:39pm We've booked to go to Spain, flying out on 24th December! No dog to look after now and just don't want to be here, people who I don't want to see coming round for free food and drink, well this year they'll be in for a shock, be nobody here!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
talk about thread drift.
I trust you won't be burying anyone in one of the bags in the departed back garden.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I was waiting to see one of those bike bags from Aldi, but they were delayed. Look good for the price if you want a re-usable bag to take on your trip. https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-storage ... 2494185400

I bought a much more expensive (nearer £90) from NZ called the body bag some years ago. Mainly to use in emergency if I can't get a box at end of tour. I don't s'pose it will last 5 times longer than the Aldi one.
delilah

Post by delilah »

Just been down to Aldi. They do indeed have some (well one) bike bag in. They are substantial, like a padded bag only no padding. It depends how you want to use it. They would not be good for carrying around in your luggage to use on the return flight as they are too big to carry around (unlike the Lidl bag)
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

delilah wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 11:34am Just been down to Aldi. They do indeed have some (well one) bike bag in. They are substantial, like a padded bag only no padding. It depends how you want to use it. They would not be good for carrying around in your luggage to use on the return flight as they are too big to carry around (unlike the Lidl bag)
Thanks for starting this thread, because (thanks to Antbrewer's contribution above) I managed to pick up one of the bigger bags in my local Aldi yesterday. (These things were advertised to have been on sale weeks ago, but appear to have been affected by the worldwide container shipping problems.) The Aldi bag is excellent - the perfect compromise in between being too bulky (like my previous enormous Planet X bike bag) and too flimsy. Once you've unpacked them and thrown away the removable floor liner, it will fit into a smallish rucksack leaving room for a bit more luggage, so perfect for my uses, e.g. riding down to the train station on my full-sized folding bike and then using the Aldi bag to get it on the train as a large item of luggage. I've tried it out, and with the two shoulder straps extended, it's no problem carrying round my hefty folding bike, including my heavy toolbag and lock. The quality looks pretty decent so far - even the zip looks pretty heavy-duty, which is surprising at such a low price.

Re. the Lidl 'bag.' I also stopped in at my local store yesterday, but as Sweep mentions above, the only thing they had on sale which fitted your description was a silver bike cover - not a bag. Am I missing something - got a link to a Lidl bike bag?
delilah

Post by delilah »

No you're right the Lidl bag is more of a cover but I guess you'll get away with it as a cover with most airlines except Ryanair!
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

delilah wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:10pmNo you're right the Lidl bag is more of a cover but I guess you'll get away with it as a cover with most airlines except Ryanair!
Yeah, I've previously toyed with the idea of using something very lightweight and compact like that Lidl cover as something to bring on my travels to magically transform a folded or disassembled bike into hand-luggage to get it onto the train when required. You could probably do this by inserting a few more eyelets around the edge and threading a pull-cord through them all to turn it into a giant duffle bag. I wouldn't try that Lidl cover on a plane though as it would almost certainly be in tatters by the time it had been through the luggage handling at the first airport and there's every chance it would lose its label and end up going astray. I reckon the Aldi bag would stand a fair chance, although I wouldn't want to risk it with a mega-expensive bike.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've used my (expensive) version of the Aldi bag once, coming back from Japan. Found it difficult to get bike box there so carried this as an emergency. Worked well with cardboard protection down the sides.

I will be using next week to fly to Portugal. I can get the train (£20) and pack at airport. I prefer a bike box, but that requires a lift to the airport and unless I can get a friend, it can cost £70 for a mere 50 miles.

They are a bit bulky to carry on tour, but as far as my Surly is concerned - because it is worth it.
Last edited by simonhill on 8 Oct 2021, 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.