Overwintering 'Somewhere' Sunny with Good Cycling in Europe?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
borisface

Re: Overwintering 'Somewhere' Sunny with Good Cycling in Europe?

Post by borisface »

In much of the Med region, whilst the weather is likely to be much warmer than the UK outside, although also could be cool and wet, the inside of houses and apartments tends to be somewhat different story. Many properties are built more for the hot summer temps with the result that they tend to be cold inside during the winter months with inadequate sources of heating and insulation and non-existant damp proof courses. Heating costs can also be expensive. I live in rural central Portugal where the inside temperature is often cooler than the outside in the winter and I often find myself taking a layer ot two off when I go out. For example, whilst the day time temps are currently mid or high 20s, I'm currently wearing 4 layers of clothing inside during the evenings. We often have to have heating from end of September to May in the evenings which is probably not much different than the UK. The majority of locations suggested are mountainous and do not underestimate the effects of microclimates. I have some friends who live less than 10 miles away and they have significantly colder winters than I do - I live at 500m, they live at 200m. By the coast is almost certainly going to give you warmer temperatures than in the hills but sometimes being lower can also be colder.

My tips are to try and establish that there is an adequate heat source (with a ready supply of fuel) such as a wood or pellet burner or central heating and take some warm clothing, especially socks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I use this site to check out what the weather is like. It gives a good overview of most aspects. Change town in box top right.

https://weatherspark.com/m/32397/10/Ave ... o-Portugal
Gregoire_500

Post by Gregoire_500 »

Thank you for the replies everyone! Lots of great suggestions to consider.

I've managed to snag an Irish passport due to a grandparent I never even got to meet, so visas or restrictions are happily less of an issue. I was referring to doing academic rather than paid work anyway, but I do have half an eye on trying to find a job in the EU anyway and 'going on holiday' also seems a bit frivolous when in a bit of a precarious spot job-wise.

The sensible but less relaxing choice might be to find a residential language school somewhere in South Germany like Freiburg to get a head start on that, while also being able to ride at weekends etc, but equally my soul is craving a bit of time and space to recharge the batteries and enjoy some care-free pedalling!
Gregoire_500

Post by Gregoire_500 »

VinceLedge wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:15am Do you need a country with no extradition agreement with the UK? :D
not yet! ask me again in a few days though...
Gregoire_500

Post by Gregoire_500 »

Carlton green wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 6:42am The obvious answers might not be the best, but they might be good enough. My attention would be focussed towards coastal Spain, Portugal and Southern France and, of course, somewhere where there are expat communities could have value. You mention work or rather needing to work, I suspect that that’s an area of life that needs at least equal priority in your decision making process. Not all work can be done remotely and sometimes we need to go to where the work that we can do is. Consider local laws on employment and tax too, etc. Do you now need any permits to go and work in other European countries and what European languages do you speak?

Good luck.
Speak good French and basic Spanish, Italian and German. Economy-wise I'd probably be best served settling in Germany and with my new Irish passport that's not much of an issue but would definitely need to do a fair bit of work on my language skills.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Have you considered Ireland? There is plenty of low-traffic space (especially in the SW), and you could spend some time learning the language you missed out on learning as a child :)
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

mattheus wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 4:06pm Have you considered Ireland? There is plenty of low-traffic space (especially in the SW), and you could spend some time learning the language you missed out on learning as a child :)
Wet windy and dark here over November and December, given the choice I'd head far south, and leave Ireland for Feb or May, generally our drier and sunnier months :-)

Cheers,

Keith
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Gregoire_500 wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:32pm
Carlton green wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 6:42am The obvious answers might not be the best, but they might be good enough. My attention would be focussed towards coastal Spain, Portugal and Southern France and, of course, somewhere where there are expat communities could have value. You mention work or rather needing to work, I suspect that that’s an area of life that needs at least equal priority in your decision making process. Not all work can be done remotely and sometimes we need to go to where the work that we can do is. Consider local laws on employment and tax too, etc. Do you now need any permits to go and work in other European countries and what European languages do you speak?

Good luck.
Speak good French and basic Spanish, Italian and German. Economy-wise I'd probably be best served settling in Germany and with my new Irish passport that's not much of an issue but would definitely need to do a fair bit of work on my language skills.
I had a relative that lived in Germany; it gets somewhat cold there in the Winter (much more so than the U.K.) and so it’s not that likely to fulfil some of your objectives. In terms of climate and language it sounds like Southern costal France would be one of your better options, but could you find work there?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gregoire_500 wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:27pm Thank you for the replies everyone! Lots of great suggestions to consider.

I've managed to snag an Irish passport due to a grandparent I never even got to meet, so visas or restrictions are happily less of an issue. I was referring to doing academic rather than paid work anyway, but I do have half an eye on trying to find a job in the EU anyway and 'going on holiday' also seems a bit frivolous when in a bit of a precarious spot job-wise.

The sensible but less relaxing choice might be to find a residential language school somewhere in South Germany like Freiburg to get a head start on that, while also being able to ride at weekends etc, but equally my soul is craving a bit of time and space to recharge the batteries and enjoy some care-free pedalling!
I have a relative who lives near Freiburg and it tends to be colder than much of the UK in winter.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do you have a tandem? just asking for a friend....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James
Gregoire_500

Post by Gregoire_500 »

have found a (very) cheap German-owned apartment in Cala Millor in Majorca to see me to January... but have also had serious temptation from a few places in Puglia.

Obviously not the most adventurous destination, the resort is a bit touristy and not on the more desired north east coast for riding the Soler but still seems to have some good routes. I've also had health issues for a while so probably more realistic to be doing flatter, rolling roads rather than having a crack at the big ones and hyperventilating my lungs through my colon :shock:

Weather in Majorca is comparatively warmer if cloudy. Should be able to ride mornings, do my dissertation afternoons and partake of a few copas in the evenings.

Before I pull the trigger any voices of dissent?

After much swearing the bike is cleaned, serviced, and then dismantled and pipe-lagged in double cardboard boxes so hopefully the baggage handlers can't add too much to my misery! Now just got to pack up the rest of the house, hire a van, put it into storage, go to the tip, clean the house, sort covid tests etc etc etc. :roll:

Will feel like I've earned a break after all that I think?
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

simonhill wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:31am Cyprus could suit. It is reasonably warm in autumn/winter. Plenty of off season accommodation. Popular with Brits so could be useful (or not).

I have been looking and there looks like some decent cycling in the hills.

Also it's not in Schengen yet, so doesn't use up your 3 months in 6 limit.
Don,t know how relevant this is but went to Cyprus 25yrs ago to the Akamas peninsula in the N.W.Hired a mt bike and a car.My feeling was that it was a paradise for off roading on easy trails.Cheap accomodation(then).Quiet on this side of the island.Fascinating and eerie abandoned villages.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

On the face of it Majorca seems to tick most of the boxes so even if it’s not the best solution it’s a workable one.

January will soon arrive so I think that that rental is overly short, but might you find something else once there? Transport links via ferry and airplane seem to be there and the Island isn’t that small (so plenty to explore and if you need it then it will have significant infrastructure/facilities). The Island is directly South of the U.K. so flights home might be short and not too expensive. You speak some Spanish already and now have the opportunity to learn more, it’s likely that there is an expat community there too. A small cycle trailer would be a very handy thing for anyone moving home by bike.

Good luck with the dissertation and the change in location.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Carlton green wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 8:32am On the face of it Majorca seems to tick most of the boxes so even if it’s not the best solution it’s a workable one.
Mallorca is a great place, I'd love to spend six months there pootling about cycling, it's got very varied terrain for a small island, well mapped at the 1:25k scale for exploring the byways and getting off the beaten track, plus great walking too if you fancy a more leisured pace.

If the island gets a bit too small in the time you're there you can always pop over to Barcelona on the ferry or visit the other Balearics--http://www.cemar.it/dest/ferries_spain.htm

cheers,

Keith
delilah

Post by delilah »

I'd recommend Benidorm . Costa Blanca has the best Spanish Winter sun record. Accommodation and eating out are cheap and the cycling is First class