GPS Systems for Long-Distance Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stevemelia

GPS Systems for Long-Distance Touring

Post by stevemelia »

I am planning to cycle across Europe next year (covid and visa questions permitting - have already posted on the latter). I have always used paper maps up to now (they have so many advantages, but that's another story...) It would probably be too difficult/expensive to buy paper maps to cover the whole of a route across Europe so I am wondering what the next best alternative might be.

I was wondering if any of you have experience of using GPS systems for flexible mapreading (i.e., where you want to change your plans as you go along instead of following a route from A to B). Most of the reviews of different systems seem to assume that you will have access to a computer, which obviously you won't if you are long-distance touring. The standard garmins, with "turn left turn right" instructions, don't seem suitable. Some people I know use mobile phones, which pose recharging problems.

Does anyone have personal experience of doing this, and if so, which systems did you use?
Jdsk

Re: GPS Systems for Long-Distance Touring

Post by Jdsk »

You're going to get the dedicated device v smart 'phone discussion, again.

You're going to get the "Just buy the same device as me" discussion, again.

On your specifics:

1 I strongly recommend a device that has all of the relevant maps preloaded, so that you're never reliant on access to a data network.

2 Why do you think that a "standard Garmin" might not be suitable... the combination of built-in route planning and the ability to enter waypoints to match the required flexibility seems to me to do what you'd like. More, please.

Jonathan

(Currently using a Garmin Edge 1000, and if I were looking now I'd consider an Edge 830.)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

You could use your mobile for planning with kamoot this gives the felxability to change route, and then use the Garmin for following the route. to be honest though the more modern Garmins like the Tour are pretty capable of route planning and can be changed on the fly.
NUKe

Post by PH »

I use paper maps, a Garmin Touring and Google maps on a phone.
Paper maps for planning and to get the bigger picture. You don't need loads, even the pages out of a road atlas are usually good enough.
I'll load a track* onto the Garmin a day or two in advance, I might not stick to it, but it's there if needed and also useful to see where I am in relation to it. I'll also have a campsite list loaded as POI's, that way when I've had enough riding I can get turn by turn directions to one.
I'll use google maps and headphones for directions in urban areas, or to specific places. Yes I know the arguments about restricting your hearing, though I use ones that limit this, IMO the audio is less of a distraction than looking at a screen.
That ought to cover it, though if I have a general idea of where I'm going I might not look at any all day. The important thing to remember is these are all tools, none of them ought to be the master. That you spend hours planning a route doesn't mean it's obligatory.
I have no problem keeping any device charged, it's not the issue some would have you believe, or maybe was in the past.

* Track rather than route, so you get a line on a map rather than directions, that way you can stray off the route and still see it. Though it's so many years since I loaded a route I've forgotten just what the options are.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

That's basically how I toured and lot of it comes down to electrical power.
How much can you generate and how do you make up any short fall.
Do you use a large scale paper map or a phone/tablet with a preloaded map to forward plan any route changes, I used the paper map route.
Things like more power hungry your satnav device is, the less you have for other devices, phone vs satnav.
Little things like I run my Garmin off rechargeable AA but in an emergency I can run it off Duracell's.
Etc, etc, etc.

Luck ........ :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

For me maper vs electronic depends to some extent n what you enjoy from cycle touring. For some, studying paper, then using printed map whilst underway is part of the pleasure (e.g. managing sans-technologie, ability to navigate, etc.). For me I enjoy looking at the countryside, villages, etc. so having an electronic device warn me of the next turn and deal with all what I see as the mundane aspects suits me (others don't regard navigation as "mundane aspects" so don't like electronics doing all that for you).

There is no right/wrong way paper vs electronic - down to what you enjoy and how you enjoy doing it.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Dedicated GPS vs Smartphone: There is no right answer and so much depends on what sort of electronic navigation you are after (e.g. turn by turn spoken through earphones vs screen instructing of next turn). Or you may just want a display you periodically get out and see your route drawn over a map (bit like a printed map with a red line drawn for your route.

And then maybe you already have a smartphone and dedicated GPS devices cost so budget considerations. And how much use would a dedicated GPS get when recreational/training riding back at home?

There is no right answer beyond that some say "Go smartphone" (more because that is what they've done to meet their needs whilst others "Go dedicated GPS" because that is what they've done to meet their needs. And your [OPs] needs are maybe different from those "Go smartphone" or "Go dedicated GPS". Such discussion is more about the characteristics of the different devices and that all comes after the printed vs electronic decision.

Ian
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The other thing to take into account is exactly where you are aiming for, how long you've got and how you plan to get there.
Most of the main European river/canals had good sign posted route along them. I only need a satnav for the last few miles to a camp site or if I looped away from the one I following.
Eurovelo routes can be a bit more tricky. Some are well signposted, some can be signposted with only the local route name and some are missing large stretches of signposts.
Cutting across country to see interesting sites tend to be more about keep off busy main road. Then plotting the route into the satnav the night before can help you remember where to go when you reach a junction.
My main use of the satnav when on tour was to easily navigate myself out of a city or off a busy main road I got onto by mistake.
But I had no real goal other than being away from home for the summer, so I did alter my route and wander where I felt like it along the way.

Luck ........... :D
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

What I did, using an Etrex Vista, was plan the route on a small scale map (1:250,000 or 1:400,000), enter waypoints on the Etrex by driving the map pointer to the relevant place, press the joystick to create a waypoint, give it a name like "1 Ledbury", and when I'd put all the waypoints in, create a route by adding "1 Ledbury", "2 Leominster" etc, and navigate the route.
The most annoying bit was the on-screen keyboard for the names.

These days, I plan the route on paper the same, and just treat the GPS map as a reminder.
The exception is towns I'm going through. I stop outside, put the pointer in the middle, and navigate to it. On the way out, I go to a point on the correct road outside the town.

If I change my mind, I just get the paper map out again.

Pre-GPS, I'd just navigate using a paper map in the back pocket, making the route up as I went along.
Reading glasses don't permit that any more :(
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I do something similar with my Etrex 30.
Route planner -> New route -> Use map.
This then lets me scroll across the map adding points roughly 2-10 miles apart along my next days route.
I then let the Garmin calculate a route between all these points.
I then need to double check there are no silly Sustrans like diversions between some of the points.
If there are then I delete the route and redo it with added points to fix the diversion.
With practice I can do the next days route in two attempts.
But it's something to do in the evening while I wait for my pasta to cook.

YMMV ........... :D
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have the touring plus from garmin. I hate it with a passion. I end up using my phone and cycle.travel (which can export a route to the garmin). YMMV.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think you need to decide how you want to tour. Dou want something that will hold your hand at every turn or just something to replace your maps.

I'm at the basic end and use my phone and Google maps to navigate. Admittedly most places I (used to) tour, don't have that many roads but this got me across France twice.

Vaguely thinking of getting headphones so I can be guided out of big towns without constantly taking my phone out, but apart from that I pedal till I need to know which way to go then look at the (phone) map. Stopping doesn't bother me, then again, I also have a compass.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

PH wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 10:44am I'll use google maps and headphones for directions in urban areas, or to specific places. Yes I know the arguments about restricting your hearing, though I use ones that limit this, IMO the audio is less of a distraction than looking at a screen.
Illegal when driving or riding in France. 135 € fine.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks, didn't know or think of that.

It would probably be only one earpiece. My favoured choice is a neck wallet, I just want to be able to hear the audio.

As far as distraction goes, trying to focus on a tiny screen on your handlebars seems far more dangerous. I'd rather have neither but needs must.
stevemelia

Post by stevemelia »

Thanks for all those comments. They are very useful.

In answer to the general question, I will be away for several months (partly because of the new situation created by Brexit) so I will be stopping, meandering, probably following Eurovelo routes but also wanting to understand the geography of the places I am riding through, rather than simply following routes.

Those of you who used phones, did you manage to avoid batteries running out?