World Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BikeBuddha

World Touring

Post by BikeBuddha »

Hi, this is probably covered elsewhere, but, when will expedition travel be possible to other continents?

Any thoughts?

Or should I hang up my plans for a bicycle?

:D
Psamathe

Re: World Touring

Post by Psamathe »

I assume you are thinking with regard to Covid. On assumption in relation to C-19, my personal opinion is it's impossible to say. Difficult to predict how vaccine supply to many countries will improve, how vaccination programs will work, how relaxation of non-pharmaceutical interventions will impact spread, how keen countries will be to encourage tourism vs risk to population, what new variants will arise (and they are/will - just a question of their characteristics). Too many variables and unknowns to predict.

Also, depends on the nature of intended trip(s) e.g. two weeks in a single country might be easier than 6 months crossing a continent through many countries. A European tour might be more likely that to many other regions (as western countries seem to be grabbing all the vaccine they want whereas many other countries are getting very small quantities).

Ian
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

BikeBuddha wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 6:20pm Hi, this is probably covered elsewhere, but, when will expedition travel be possible to other continents?

Any thoughts?

Or should I hang up my plans for a bicycle?

:D
Looking at this

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... pe=journal

it seems there's a fair few folks out there doing some big tours.

So depending on where you want to go and what degree of paperwork you're happy with, 'expedition travel' is possible even now!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why do you think my crystal ball is any better than yours?

I agree with Ian that crossing borders will be the problem. A quick glance down that list on crazyguy all appear to be within either a single country or the EU.

I've been looking at a few of my favourites in Asia and even though some are opening up, only by air or possibly sea (cruise ships). For example, India is offering tourist visas again, but their land borders are closed to tourists.

You could do something like cycle across Europe then fly to India for six months there. If you want to head on it'll probably be flying for the foreseeable future.

Having said this, there are still plenty of countries that are not allowing in tourists. Too many to list.

Sad to say, maybe you have missed the boat and will have to wait a year or two. Nonetheless, your 'what bike' or 'what bit of bike' is best posts should allow you to get a decent bike and do some UK and EU touring. You only get experience of the road and your gear by sitting on your *rse (on a bike).
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Thanks everyone..

I will buy the bike, and tour UK, and IReland.... build up these old legs. REally appreciate your thoughts..

Have a great Christmas.
Per Terram

Post by Per Terram »

And you could do a lot worse than that. I had planned to be in South America this autumn but my plans were eventually scuttled so I went to Ireland for a month cycle / camping. I was lucky with the weather but, regardless, it is a great place offering great cycling, genuine friendliness and lovely countryside. There are places, Galway for instance, which would rival any place in the British Isles as a holiday destination. Whatever happens, Ireland should remain open for British travellers because of the Common Travel Area.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Per Terram wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 11:18am And you could do a lot worse than that. I had planned to be in South America this autumn but my plans were eventually scuttled so I went to Ireland for a month cycle / camping. I was lucky with the weather but, regardless, it is a great place offering great cycling, genuine friendliness and lovely countryside. There are places, Galway for instance, which would rival any place in the British Isles as a holiday destination. Whatever happens, Ireland should remain open for British travellers because of the Common Travel Area.
I have thought Ireland to be my first destination. Always wanted to go. Hillwaking, mainly. I wonder if I could combine world touring with hiking.

But while Covid happens, and it could be generating problems for a good few years, can tour scotland, and the outer isles. Get my kit sorted, before heading on big trips.

I've never toured, don't much like traffic, and get anxious at the drop of a hat. IT feels very scary. Going to purchase bike next week. Feels surreal.
doodah

Post by doodah »

BikeBuddha wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 4:16pm I've never toured, don't much like traffic, and get anxious at the drop of a hat. IT feels very scary. Going to purchase bike next week. Feels surreal.
Out of curiosity, what bike did you finally choose to buy?

Doodah
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

doodah wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 4:59pm
BikeBuddha wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 4:16pm I've never toured, don't much like traffic, and get anxious at the drop of a hat. IT feels very scary. Going to purchase bike next week. Feels surreal.
Out of curiosity, what bike did you finally choose to buy?

Doodah
I'm too exhausted to choose, my friend.
Too much pressure to spend too much money while there is so much else going on.
Too many options, and too many unknowns.
V brakes, disc brakes, tube thickness, bike makers, dynamo hubs?>>>>>

I was going to go with OBW beacue all the thinking had been done. But, I think it would be mistake to buy a touring bike.
Supposed to get fitted on Monday, but cancelling.

I was going with v brakes. This goes against my...... anyway, another topic.

PS.. Hope you are well.

Nick
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi Nick,

PM sent.