Cycle touring: time to ditch the smart phone?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wirral_cyclist

Re: Cycle touring: time to ditch the smart phone?

Post by wirral_cyclist »

mattheus wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 6:23pm Also Android 9, but on a Moto G6.
Settings, battery, usage (since last charge).
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

The last few European tours we've done, having a smartphone has been quite useful:
  • I plan most of the routes ahead of time using RideWithGPS, but if for some reason we decide to vary that, I can use Locus on the phone to plot a new route, and then either cross-load it to the GPS or use Locus to provide the navigation. I think the last tour on which I used paper maps was about 15 years back.
  • When in a strange city, the the phone is useful for finding accomodation/restaurants/museums/galleries etc.
  • I also carry a small fold-up Bluetooth keyboard that packs down to about 6"x3"x0.5", and use that with the phone if I want to write something up or need to answer emails. My wife also uses the keyboard with her phone as she usually keeps a crazyguyonabike journal of our trips that she writes up each evening.
I also find myself using the phone as a camera much more frequently than the actual camera that I also carry. On our last tour in 2018, on looking back at the photos I find that except for photographing the races at the world championships in Innsbruck, where I needed the speed and zoom range of the dedicated camera, virtually all of the rest of the photos were taken with the phone.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not using a smartphone on tour is harmless to others.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

mattheus wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:22pm Goes to Settings/Apps ...
I've got 71 apps! How do I tell which ones are drinking my juice??
Hi Matt, are you a droid?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tiggertoo wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 6:31pm
mattheus wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:22pm Goes to Settings/Apps ...
I've got 71 apps! How do I tell which ones are drinking my juice??
Hi Matt, are you a droid?
Difficult to say ...