Winter touring in North East - with children!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pebble

Re: Winter touring in North East - with children!

Post by Pebble »

The college Valley is not that far from where I live, I often ride up it. It is certainly worth a visit. As for wild camping, you would soon get moved on camped at the side of the road, but high up in the Bizzle or Hen Hole and I seriousl would doubt anyone would bother you, I have bivyied up there on many an occasion. there is even the refuge hut at Auchope Rigg and that is a regular overnight stop for those on the pennine way.

There is a big memorial thing now in the valley for all the lost planes, here are some pics from a few months ago
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I think there's also a hostel in the College Valley. Not far from the National Park's Auchope hut.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I add a couple happy snaps incase you do opt to stay wooler and do the college valley
I'm not sure what order they came out
All in striking distance of wooler
Northumberland ancient Kings palace
St cuthberts cave
College valley map at hethpool car park

Some polite advice...if you do visit any of the plane crash sites you are expected not to touch or remove anything as it is a place where airmen lost there lives and there is still a fair amount if wreckage at some sites
The spitfire site has no wreckage is very hard to find and has a cross with pilots name on so as to pay ones respects
Attachments
20200525_144646.jpg
20200630_154538.jpg
20200630_160727.jpg
20200630_161452.jpg
20200630_161631.jpg
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Apologies for the photos
I just click on my gallery which are all correct way up ?? So I'm not knowing how to turn them round now ...sorry
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Others have mentioned Alnwick, which we have visited many times, but when we were based in Wooler we visited Berwick Upon Tweed which we thought was much nicer. Lots of very interesting arty shops and the walk around the city walls (if that's what they are called) was lovely. It's about a 40 round trip, so well suited to the OP's needs. Also the route goes through Lowick where we ate at the Black Bull Inn (https://blackbulllowick.co.uk/) on our last evening and where the food was superb. Definitely the best meal we had all week by far. I'm not in the habit of leaving online reviews but as someone manages a café and cooks professionally I know when food is really well done - they obviously have a really good head chef.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Lookrider wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 9:32am

Some polite advice...if you do visit any of the plane crash sites you are expected not to touch or remove anything as it is a place where airmen lost there lives and there is still a fair amount if wreckage at some sites
The spitfire site has no wreckage is very hard to find and has a cross with pilots name on so as to pay ones respects
Thanks - wouldn't dream of being at all disrespectful.
I know there are some wartime air crash sites/memorials on the Bowland Fells as well.
That toll is terrible - why so bad? - was it a training area?
(though I note that there are at least two German crashes as well)
Sweep
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

It's a good question and one thats always asked when first heard of
There's the official reports etc and what ever else you can find in a web search
I've walked/ridden these area several times and with my son who can fly a light aircraft
He says as well as the archiac instruments back in the day ....a lot if war planes never had things like altimeter and other instruments as it meant more stuff for the pilots to learn and also to keep watch on
And remember these airmen were in short supply so they need to qwickly learn to fly aircraft very fast and not be concerned with instrument overload ...
Apparently he reckons this was one if the reason the spitfires and hurricanes were so successful because they were very basic
I guess if your flying without altimeter in pennines when the mist or fog fast approaches then your in trouble
It is unbelievable sad how multiple fatalities can occur without any seemly upgrades to instruments or training to prevent future fatilities time and time again

Maybe others have other official explanations to the loss of these aircraft's but as you see your self...it beggars belief
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Tangled Metal wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 4:27pm

We visited it on a few days we got just north of Alnwick this summer. Not sure I would want to cycle the coastal roads in summer. They were busy with idiots in cars, vans, motor homes and cars towing caravans.
East of the A1 in North Northumberland is ruined now with the volume of traffic, especially so in the summer months (and definitely around the xmas period when tyneside comes out for a drive in their oversized SUVs)

The area around wooler is still great for cycling all year round, plenty of roads where you will see little traffic, then further west into the Scottish Borders is just wonderful for deserted roads, I did 40 mile yesterday, seen 3 cars, Here's a pic I took down near tow ford.

(bottle cage snapped off last week hence the makeshift water bottle)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 12:23pmThat toll is terrible - why so bad? - was it a training area?
Is it featureless... no big rivers or roads or towns?

Lookrider wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 1:27pm He says as well as the archiac instruments back in the day ....a lot if war planes never had things like altimeter and other instruments as it meant more stuff for the pilots to learn and also to keep watch on
I'd be surprised if these aircraft didn't have aneroid altimeters...

Jonathan
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

The deserted Rd by TOW FORD opens up another possibility as its not far from DERE ST roman Rd...maybe we are giving you too many options in the vastness if nothumberland
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Lookrider wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 1:27pm It's a good question and one thats always asked when first heard of
There's the official reports etc and what ever else you can find in a web search
I've walked/ridden these area several times and with my son who can fly a light aircraft
He says as well as the archiac instruments back in the day ....a lot if war planes never had things like altimeter and other instruments as it meant more stuff for the pilots to learn and also to keep watch on
And remember these airmen were in short supply so they need to qwickly learn to fly aircraft very fast and not be concerned with instrument overload ...
Apparently he reckons this was one if the reason the spitfires and hurricanes were so successful because they were very basic
I guess if your flying without altimeter in pennines when the mist or fog fast approaches then your in trouble
It is unbelievable sad how multiple fatalities can occur without any seemly upgrades to instruments or training to prevent future fatilities time and time again

Maybe others have other official explanations to the loss of these aircraft's but as you see your self...it beggars belief
Thanks for the info - I never realised that many planes didn't have altimeters.

(edit - I see there's a certain debate about that)

Incredible.

On the bomber crews, I can recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000 ... bl_vppi_i4

Respect. RIP.
Sweep
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 1:37pm
Sweep wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 12:23pmThat toll is terrible - why so bad? - was it a training area?
Is it featureless... no big rivers or roads or towns?
I would not of thought it to be that featureless, big rivers with the Tyne and the Tweed.

I suspect it was a big training area, it certainly is now and can be a great place to see low flying jets as they run sorties into the bombing rangers at otterburn, I think Otterburn was in operation in WW2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otterburn_Training_Area
(a good place to take the bike through when the red flags are down!)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Lookrider wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 9:36am Apologies for the photos
I just click on my gallery which are all correct way up ?? So I'm not knowing how to turn them round now ...sorry
Are they in Australia and Russia? :wink:
I tried turning my phone but it just turned with it. So I'm currently letting the blood leave my head after a spell standing on it checking the last view out! Lol

Looks a nice place. I once looked at a wildcamping, backpacking route up there. Iirc there's official spot for that up in that neck of the woods. A spot you have to backpack to that the local forestry set up. Never got to do that walk for family reasons but one day...
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 22 Nov 2021, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Pebble wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 4:24pm I think Otterburn was in operation in WW2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otterburn_Training_Area
(a good place to take the bike through when the red flags are down!)
It definitely was, it's pre-WW1 there is a full WW1 Trench system still there to train officers in going over the top. https://gridreferencefinder.com/#gr=NT8 ... _s_02571|1
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

st599_uk wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 5:26pm

It definitely was, it's pre-WW1 there is a full WW1 Trench system still there to train officers in going over the top. https://gridreferencefinder.com/#gr=NT8 ... _s_02571|1
It is often said that the Army train to fight the last war. In this case the last but one, or more, depending on how you reckon it!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?