Is it too soon to be planning for 2022?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Is it too soon to be planning for 2022?

Post by Slowroad »

I get quite a lot of anticipatory pleasure in the winter by planning future cycle trips. However the planning seems to get earlier and earlier, probably due to having missed out going abroad for the last couple of years. I already have too many ideas for my limited time next year, but still interested in what you all are hoping to do. Abroad at last (or again?) Or still staying localish? I need some vicarous travel!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
simonhill

Re: Is it too soon to be planning for 2022?

Post by simonhill »

2022 is only 40 or so days away, so definitely not too early.

I'm looking hopefully, but not expectantly, at a couple of Asian countries for Feb/March. More likely a trip to southern Spain.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've derived enormous pleasure from the many bike tours I've planned and not done! Next year might include, all or part of the route of the Turin-Nice rally, a 'training' ride across France to get to the start of it, a ride from Nice or somewhere down to Naples, a month or so in Naples doing short rides and hanging out. Or it might just be Leeds to Hull and back.
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

Its never too soon to start planning your next tour I have been planing next year's tours
since June this year in fact I am half way through planing my tour for 2023 all being well.
The planing is arguably the best part of any cycle tour.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I have read that to gain access to restaurants etc - over 65s have to have a covid passport showing evidence of the booster jab.
Apparently the EU passport has this but the UK has no plans to include it. :?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

ANTONISH wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 5:39pm I have read that to gain access to restaurants etc - over 65s have to have a covid passport showing evidence of the booster jab.
Apparently the EU passport has this but the UK has no plans to include it. :?
Booster jab has been shown on English certificates for a week or so. Wales and Scotland to follow.

The Minister originally told Parliament that it would happen sometime in the future. Then it happened a few days later. Presumably cos it was needed by people to travel to certain countries like Israel and Croatia.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

It is never too soon. I plan about 5 trips a year. I only go on 1 or 2, but planning is a joy. With that, I have knowledge of dozens potential trips and destinations, ready to go
Plus, what else is there to do on dark winter days, other than unnecessary maintenance on your bikes?
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Certainly do your planning but be prepared to alter or cancel the plan. Covid is far from finished and we'll likely have more exclusions, red lists etc.
I'd plan two tours, one abroad and another closer to home.
This way you'll have something to look forward to.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

francovendee wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 8:00am Certainly do your planning but be prepared to alter or cancel the plan. Covid is far from finished and we'll likely have more exclusions, red lists etc.
Wise advice - things are likely to change at short notice and not in a good way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 8:00am Certainly do your planning but be prepared to alter or cancel the plan. Covid is far from finished and we'll likely have more exclusions, red lists etc.
I agree: smart.

Jonathan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got some rides planned that I haven't felt able to do in the last two years, one ride is the Avon Cycleway and the other is Bristol to Shaftesbury and back via a certain cobbled hill.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

If we're allowed into France I'd rather like to do the Veloscenic (Saint Malo/Mont St Michel—Paris). Mrs F is talking about wanting to do Lon Las Cymru on her e-bike – it's a long time since I've done that and I'd love to do it again.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Never too soon.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hayers

Post by hayers »

Redvee wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 1:34am I've got some rides planned that I haven't felt able to do in the last two years, one ride is the Avon Cycleway and the other is Bristol to Shaftesbury and back via a certain cobbled hill.
Sadly IIRC Gold Hill has got no cycling signs so recreating the hovis ad might be off... but nonetheless that will be a very nice ride, in fact am currently planning a multiday tour from S Glos with overnight in Shaftsbury having passed through on a previous route.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hayers wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:24am
Redvee wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 1:34am I've got some rides planned that I haven't felt able to do in the last two years, one ride is the Avon Cycleway and the other is Bristol to Shaftesbury and back via a certain cobbled hill.
Sadly IIRC Gold Hill has got no cycling signs so recreating the hovis ad might be off... but nonetheless that will be a very nice ride, in fact am currently planning a multiday tour from S Glos with overnight in Shaftsbury having passed through on a previous route.
Didn't see any signs when i walked up there last year, perhaps they are only on the downhill but i could be mistaken, the very top is nigh on impossible anyway due to the various kerbs/steps across the top.

Is there some sort of map of the Avon Cycleway - and the Wilts version for that matter, i keep seeing signs in diverse locations but have no idea where either actually go!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!