Is it too soon to be planning for 2022?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Redvee

Re: Is it too soon to be planning for 2022?

Post by Redvee »

foxyrider wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 8:25pm
Is there some sort of map of the Avon Cycleway - and the Wilts version for that matter, i keep seeing signs in diverse locations but have no idea where either actually go!
I've got a .gpx saved of the route that I saved from elsewhere online.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Quite a bit of jnfo here: https://avoncycleway.co.uk/ and there's also a facebook group.

I've got a paper map that I picked up in the library years ago, but not sure if it's still available anywhere.

It's a good ride - but the bit near the airport between a370 and a38 is a bit rat runny so best to avoid being on that bit in rush hours.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Not sure if clear enough to read but here's the map
Attachments
20211127_134737.jpg
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hayers wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 1:54pm Not sure if clear enough to read but here's the map
looking at that, i think i've ridden it all - just not all in one go! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Certainly do your planning but be prepared to alter or cancel the plan. Covid is far from finished and we'll likely have more exclusions, red lists etc.
I'd plan two tours, one abroad and another closer to home.
This way you'll have something to look forward to.
Excellent advice! I'm looking at doing bits of the North Sea Cycle Route - Dunkerque to Hoek van Holland, or the East coast of Scotland, which is also part of it.
But next year it will be 40 years since I first did a cycle tour... I've been meaning to retrace my route through East Anglia - if I can find the diary! Or maybe I'll leave it till the 50th anniversary...!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Too soon? No way.

I’ve been planning my 2022 trip to the USA for about 3 years!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
ossie

Post by ossie »

hayers wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:24am
Redvee wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 1:34am I've got some rides planned that I haven't felt able to do in the last two years, one ride is the Avon Cycleway and the other is Bristol to Shaftesbury and back via a certain cobbled hill.
Sadly IIRC Gold Hill has got no cycling signs so recreating the hovis ad might be off... but nonetheless that will be a very nice ride, in fact am currently planning a multiday tour from S Glos with overnight in Shaftsbury having passed through on a previous route.
Is that new ? The only reason I ask is that there used to be a cycle race up Gold Hill every year, as a matter of fact the local Council actively encouraged it..see link. The reality is the average tourer might struggle to turn their peddles so would probably walk it.

https://thisisalfred.com/community/new- ... ng-record/

Its a lovely area though, a regular cycling haunt of mine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MarcusT wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 5:20am It is never too soon. I plan about 5 trips a year. I only go on 1 or 2, but planning is a joy. With that, I have knowledge of dozens potential trips and destinations, ready to go
Plus, what else is there to do on dark winter days, other than unnecessary maintenance on your bikes?
+1