Taking bikes on a tour to Europe by car

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Taking bikes on a tour to Europe by car

Post by st599_uk »

Thehairs1970 wrote:I’m late to the party here but are we saying that taking a bike to an EU country needs a carnet that costs £300? Netherlands too? We are planning a mini break and tour there in April.
That's what the British Cycling website states. I hope they're wrong as they're a bureaucratic nightmare (it has to be accompanied by an authorisation - so you'll need to write a letter to yourself saying you allow yourself to use the Carnet)

As for the Carnet, it may be cheaper to pay VAT on entry to the EU than to buy a Carnet.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... xit-FAQs-0
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't think I am going to worry about taking my bike into the EU, certainly not my battered Surly.

Transporting a car load of bikes is a different matter.

Unless they decide to specifically target individual bikes I can't see it being a problem. Especially as the EU are generally pretty bike friendly. As said before, one iPhone blows the limit substantially.

I like to be aware of the rules and the law, but also then see what 'custom and practice' is.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Perhaps this is a problem only when the bikes outnumber the people in the vehicle.

That's a shame nevertheless. I was hoping to get around the difficulty in organising surface travel for continental group tours, given the desperate lack of bike spaces in Eurostar and other fast trains, by loading all the bikes in a support van at St Pancras. Two of us would then drive night and day across Europe, while the participants travel by train and have a city sightseeing day while the van catches up. I'd end the tour in another interesting city and reverse the process.

Seems like everyone except Cycling UK really WANTS touring cyclists to fly!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

New guidance out today:

"Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022":
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transport-g ... 1-may-2022?

Exclusions include: "you are transporting goods on a non-commercial basis (not for ‘hire or reward’)".

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 2:05pm New guidance out today:

"Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022":
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transport-g ... 1-may-2022?

Exclusions include: "you are transporting goods on a non-commercial basis (not for ‘hire or reward’)".
That's an exclusion from needing the new licence. It does not seem to exclude people from the requirements described already.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've been searching for this thread for a while so update delayed.

This thread refers to bikes on cars into EU, but questions were also raised about solo travel with bike. The 'into the UK' thread has got most of the updates, including the into EU ones. So I'll update this one.

I can now report a successful carriage of my bicycle into Spain on 16 Feb 22. Bagged in expensive bike bag (not poly). Malaga airport. Admittedly, as they are refurbishing I wasn't aware of even seeing the Customs area, but there were a few guys standing around looking disinterested.

That's now 2 entries for me, t'other in October 21 at Porto in Portugal.

As I said previously, I think tourers to the EU can sleep peacefully.

I will update the other thread after I return, but do not anticipate being detained by UK Border Force.
mjr

Post by mjr »

So, not by car, so no help to people who don't want to burn the planet flying their bicycle around.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Aduana at Malaga airport are part of the same organisation as the Aduana at Santander or Bilbao ferry ports.

With little hard info on what some see as a potential problem I was at least able to supply an actual experience. I also explained why I had deviated from "on cars".
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

FWIW: Peak Tours are now advising all their clients on the European tours that Peak Tours can no longer carry their luggage onto the Continent and there will be a surcharge for bikes there and back. Bringing back into the UK exactly what is taken out is the issue.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 5:12pm FWIW: Peak Tours are now advising all their clients on the European tours that Peak Tours can no longer carry their luggage onto the Continent and there will be a surcharge for bikes there and back. Bringing back into the UK exactly what is taken out is the issue.
Thanks for the heads-up.

https://www.peak-tours.com/shop/bike-tr ... to-europe/

Jonathan