Touring on the telly

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Shoogle

Re: Touring on the telly

Post by Shoogle »

It's nothing to do with with Grayson Perry. It's just commercial TV I can't stand.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oddly, some of the best series IMV are in the commercial niches: Architecture the Railways Built comes to mind
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've watched most of the cycle touring offerings on TV.
I have to say they have all been mediocre.
The problem the program makers have, they have to appeal to a wider audience than cyclists.
Hence the use of comedy and celebs to pad out the program.
The best touring films are on Youtube. Real cyclists showing the highs and lows of life on the road.
Some are also very good film makers and you get a real sense of the ride.
Places you'd only dream of visiting or how wonderful the UK countryside is if you care to explore.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

francovendee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 7:38am I've watched most of the cycle touring offerings on TV.
The problem the program makers have, they have to appeal to a wider audience than cyclists.
There's none of that in the BBC Alba program.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mattheus wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 8:09am
francovendee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 7:38am I've watched most of the cycle touring offerings on TV.
Do you think I'll find it on BBC iPlayer?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

francovendee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 8:20am
mattheus wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 8:09am
Do you think I'll find it on BBC iPlayer?
"It"?
The scottish prog is in the first post - enjoy!
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The op was on the 29th Nov and I missed it.
Our internet is rubbish but I'll search iPlayer for it when our connection improves.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

francovendee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 8:42am The op was on the 29th Nov and I missed it.
Our internet is rubbish but I'll search iPlayer for it when our connection improves.
Just click the link in the post, no need to search.
Richard M
Cardiff
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Ta
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Agitate, educate, organise.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

If you can find a copy of "On Hannibal's Trail" it's worth a watch. Three brothers cycling on the trail of Hannibal, the warrior who marched from Spain to Rome at the head of an invading army. A good bit of cycling, camping, history and brotherly love (or not as it may be).
hufty

Post by hufty »

The great thing about the BBC Alba programme is it's just a couple of normal unassuming cycle tourists talking about a big trip. No meta-journey, no race against the clock, no staged interactions with locals. Loved it. Thank goodness they speak Gaelic otherwise it would never have been made.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

hufty wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:47pm The great thing about the BBC Alba programme is it's just a couple of normal unassuming cycle tourists talking about a big trip. No meta-journey, no race against the clock, no staged interactions with locals. Loved it. Thank goodness they speak Gaelic otherwise it would never have been made.
:lol:

Yes, I agree with all that!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Not Free to Air but GCN Plus has 3 (so far) episodes of Slow Cyling with Jack Thurston, the author of the Lost Lanes books, going out with a rider more known for fast riding on a 2 day jaunt.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Following on from my previous post, GCN are putting a couple of their videos FTA on their Youtube channel for a limited time over Christmas.

"Columbia An Andes Adventure" with Jenny Graham & Simon Richardson. Available from 4:30PM GMT Monday 27th December.
&
"Chile The Longest Descent" with Mark Beaumont & James Lowsley-Williams (AKA Hank). Available from 3:00PM GMT Thursday 30th December.

More details here - https://welcome.globalcyclingnetwork.co ... -adventure

I enjoyed The Columbia one (I have a subscription) but haven't yet watched the Chile one. I have however enjoyed the other videos I've watched of Mark & Hank's other exploits.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.