Dynamo Hub and the tech you take.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BikeBuddha

Dynamo Hub and the tech you take.

Post by BikeBuddha »

Hi all..

Was thinking about Dynamo hubs.....

I guess they free you from having to spend nights in hostels, leaving you to wild camp for most of your month long, or year long trips. And they take around 3% of your peddle power, or something like that.

What are your feelings about them? A must have in this modern world. A drain? Useful, useless, or....?

I am interested in taking a DSLR camera. One that can be rechached with a usb lead. They are bulky. Is that crazy? I am thinking of photographing people and places, and making an online journal.

I was also thinking of a dedicated media player, to save charge vs phone, and a pair of sony noise reducing headphones for those long nights in the tent. Obviously, this might not be practical.

Someone mentioned that a dedicated sat nav saves power over using your phone....

Do I need a phone?

How about you? What tech do you take?

Tablets?

Do you charge in hostels, or use the dynamo hub?

Any thoughts to this erratic question.
Jdsk

Re: Dynamo Hub and the tech you take.

Post by Jdsk »

It's an important question. There's at least one recent thread where we swapped experiences and hints, including mine. I'll see if I can find it.

I don't think that you've mentioned USB battery packs, and they're a major component of many tourers' current (!) solutions.

Edited:

"Power Banks - Real Life Experiences.":
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148493
and my kit is in the second post.

"'Off-grid' campsites - how do you charge your stuff?":
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=147124

More thoughts over here:
viewtopic.php?p=1656950#p1656950

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My DSLR wont charge direct from a USB and the charger that came with it is mains only. But there are USB battery chargers for my (and many other) DSLRs, small not much bigger than the battery. Battery clips into it and pug a USB cable into it and use any standard USB power source.

The model I git for my DSLR was https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZNHS7MC. I has quite a range of choice and quite a few models for other DSLRs.

Ian
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've run a dyno for several years now on my tourer. My main reason is to ensure that come what may, I have unlimited light. Trains are delayed for example. For charging it works much better if it charges a power bank rather than directly.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

hamster wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 10:34am I've run a dyno for several years now on my tourer. My main reason is to ensure that come what may, I have unlimited light. Trains are delayed for example. For charging it works much better if it charges a power bank rather than directly.
I have a hub dynamo on my audax bike - only for the reliable light (supplemented by a battery light in case of a failure of the dynamo system) - I'm not sure how a delayed train would be a reason.
Could you explain ? I'm probably being obtuse.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:09pm
hamster wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 10:34am I've run a dyno for several years now on my tourer. My main reason is to ensure that come what may, I have unlimited light. Trains are delayed for example. For charging it works much better if it charges a power bank rather than directly.
I have a hub dynamo on my audax bike - only for the reliable light (supplemented by a battery light in case of a failure of the dynamo system) - I'm not sure how a delayed train would be a reason.
Could you explain ? I'm probably being obtuse.
You always have the powerful lights with you. So even if you don't intend to ride at night if something unexpected occurs you have them with you. A delayed train is an example of unexpected stuff.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hamster wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 10:34amFor charging it works much better if it charges a power bank rather than directly.
Totally agree. And I wish I'd known this before I discovered it for myself.

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have just acquired a GP Charge Anyway. It is a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, but once these are charged you can use them as a powerbank. It is a far lighter and more flexible solution than taking a charger and a separate powerbank.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

57 g, which I guess is without batteries.

Jonathan

PS: Someone else is using a different portable battery charger... I'll try and find it.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed, 57 gram without the batteries, so quite a bit lighter than a separate charger. My Garmin Etrex 30 gps takes two AA batteries, so I always brought quite a few of them (but no charger), and also a separate power bank for my phone. I can now integrate all these functions, and extend my range by bringing a charger without adding a lot of bulk and weight.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

willem jongman wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:23amI have just acquired a GP Charge Anyway. It is a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, but once these are charged you can use them as a powerbank. It is a far lighter and more flexible solution than taking a charger and a separate powerbank.
That could well have a place in our touring set-up. At the moment that's based on a dynamo hub and a USB battery pack. The back-up bike lights and the head torches use AA and AAA batteries, and I change them to disposables before setting off...

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

willem jongman wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:23am I have just acquired a GP Charge Anyway. It is a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, but once these are charged you can use them as a powerbank. It is a far lighter and more flexible solution than taking a charger and a separate powerbank.
That looks very useful!

Does it charge as SMARTly as my home smart charger?

(I currently have no way of getting charge from my hubs to any device ... looked into the various options a few years back, and got a headache ... :/ )
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have no idea what smart charging is. I know what it means in the context of solar panels and electric cars, but here?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 2:20pm
willem jongman wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:23amI have just acquired a GP Charge Anyway. It is a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, but once these are charged you can use them as a powerbank. It is a far lighter and more flexible solution than taking a charger and a separate powerbank.
That could well have a place in our touring set-up. At the moment that's based on a dynamo hub and a USB battery pack. The back-up bike lights and the head torches use AA and AAA batteries, and I change them to disposables before setting off...

Jonathan
IKEA used to do a thing for charging two AA or AAAs via a usb lead you could plug into a powerbank. Cost about £3. Discontinued I think but I think you see them on the bay. It does work, have used it while bivvying.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

willem jongman wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 11:23am I have just acquired a GP Charge Anyway. It is a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, but once these are charged you can use them as a powerbank. It is a far lighter and more flexible solution than taking a charger and a separate powerbank.
Sorry if a silly question but re the GP Charge Anyway; you run the wires from the front wheel dynamo to the GP Charge Anyway?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.