Fosse 2

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Fosse 2

Post by mjr »

millimole wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 4:32pm It's curious that it avoids the B4455 which I've ridden many times over the years between Sharnford (Leicestershire) as far south on occasions to Shipton on Stour.
I've always found it a fairly quiet road and despite being very straight not one for unpleasant drivers.
The only reason I can see for missing it, is that it is boring (but allows a fair bit of mile-eating)
I've had trouble on that road from other motorists when driving. I think it's busier than you suggest.

It would cut about 20 miles off the 190 Newark-Bath, though. Another 5 can be cut by going directly along minor roads from Kemble to Malmesbury without the odd-looking kink through Tetbury.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 5:23pm
millimole wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 4:32pm It's curious that it avoids the B4455 which I've ridden many times over the years between Sharnford (Leicestershire) as far south on occasions to Shipton on Stour.
I've always found it a fairly quiet road and despite being very straight not one for unpleasant drivers.
The only reason I can see for missing it, is that it is boring (but allows a fair bit of mile-eating)
I've had trouble on that road from other motorists when driving. I think it's busier than you suggest.

It would cut about 20 miles off the 190 Newark-Bath, though. Another 5 can be cut by going directly along minor roads from Kemble to Malmesbury without the odd-looking kink through Tetbury.
On the plus for going via Tetbury there is a bike shop and several eateries but of course the same is true of Malmesbury. My personal experience of the Kemble - Malmesbury road is that it gets a lot more heavy traffic than the Tetbury route, i tend to avoid using it when i'm out that way for just that reason.

As for cutting across from Malmesbury directly to the Severn, whilst its not the busiest road - at least as far as Yate, it is a long drag all the way to Old Sodbury as you climb across the Cotswold massif, the Fosse down towards Bath is a lot more varied and pleasant especially if its a westerly wind! Of course you could cut even more distance off by going directly (ish) from Cirencester to Chepstow but I don't think the OP is looking to take the shortest possible route :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

foxyrider wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 7:02pm
As for cutting across from Malmesbury directly to the Severn, whilst its not the busiest road - at least as far as Yate, it is a long drag all the way to Old Sodbury as you climb across the Cotswold massif, the Fosse down towards Bath is a lot more varied and pleasant especially if its a westerly wind! Of course you could cut even more distance off by going directly (ish) from Cirencester to Chepstow but I don't think the OP is looking to take the shortest possible route :wink:
Don't go through Yate! Stick to minor roads further north: Somerset Monument - Wickwar - Tytherington - Alveston.
(but yes, could get windy - I've mainly done it west-east :P )
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattheus wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 3:52pm Don't go through Yate! Stick to minor roads further north: Somerset Monument - Wickwar - Tytherington - Alveston.
(but yes, could get windy - I've mainly done it west-east :P )
Thats even more obtuse and busier on narrower roads! I'm currently based in east Brizzle - i ride these roads all the time, the quietest route and i have to say most pleasant from the Cotswold edge is to go Tetbury - Hawkesbury - Horton - across Sodbury Common north of Yate to Rangeworthy - Iron Acton then either Alveston/Elberton or Rudgeway/Olveston.

Of course that begs the question why even go that far down, just do Tetbury - Wotton under Edge - Cromhall - Alveston - not the most pleasamt rpite but its certainly direct!

But this is all merely a diversion from where the OP actually wants to visit, ie Bath and then Bristol :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!