London to Paris (but not for charity!)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sepulchre

London to Paris (but not for charity!)

Post by Sepulchre »

Hi all

I'm planning my first tour for August, i.e. camping out plus going abroad with bike.

I've a few questions that I'd like to ask; some of them will have been asked and answered before (please feel to re-direct me!) but I've not managed to find definitive answers from searching the forum. So, here goes.

1. As I'm going solo - I'll need a one man tent. I'm not wanting to break the bank (it's only a tent), can anyone recommend cheapish one man tents, of particular use will be short poles of course? The most important thing is obviously to get it in my pannier.

2. I've had a look at various maps of Northern France in Waterstones. Stone me, there wasn't any with campsites on them. The very detailed book ones did but there didn't seem to be any camp sites between Dieppe and Paris. Anyone got any suggestions? ---I'm tempted by the use of GPS, but it feels like cheating on the first go. Plus they're pricey.

3. Ferries - I'm thinking of just turning up to Newhaven with my bike, are the ferry prices that different if you book in advance?

Pretty simple questions I know, and I don't want to plan too much, the adventure is what I'm after. But if there were some shared answers, then it would be shared for others here and in the future.

I await your informed, idiosyncratic and throughly British what-what replies. ;)

Merci beaucoup and cheers in advance

Sep
"How can I be of use in the world? Can't I serve some purpose and be of any good?"
Vincent Van Gogh to Theo
July 1880
Letter 133
byegad

Post by byegad »

A lot of French small towns and villages have a local campsite, 'Camping Municipal' often mentioned alongside the name as you turn off main roads. Beware some can be quiet a long way out of town and others are slap bang in the town.
Try www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/france for their book a good investement if you're going to be on your own.

Most are excellent but they do vary, they are usually cheap too.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

I use a Millets tent, I have had it a few years although they now seem to sell it in kit form only via their site, I'm sure I noticed similar sized tents sold on their own when I called in recently, mind you the whole kit now costs less than I paid for the tent alone in 2001 :lol: (Edit a further search found this at £34.99)

Image 2001, Lejog

Image 2004, Channel to the Med

Image tent fits into a small pannier.

It packs easily into a rucksack and is very quick and easy to pitch (inner tent first). It has a polyester flysheet with taped seams and a breathable polyester inner tent that is vented to reduce condensation. The groundsheet is waterproof and the fibreglass poles are colour coded. There is a small porch for gear storage and internal storage"

This is a good set up even for one; as a tip something I have learned is that two sleeping bags can be a good idea, as they are lightweight and you can use one inside the other to regulate temperature, many popular tours such Channel to the Med' ride towards a warmer climate so at the start you simply use both bags and unzip one to regulate temp' etc. A hat for night time use is also a good idea, as is an Eye mask, not only keep the early morning light from waking you but keep your face warm during the night.

Most people naturally use the temperature rating on the bag as a guide, it is worth noting that many campsites are near rivers and the night time temperature can fall much lower than many expect, nothing worse than being cold and getting a terrible nights sleep as a result, this has to be the most common complaint at breakfast amongst my holiday companions, closely followed by "how hilly is it today".

One of the areas they keep costs down is the poles, they are fibre glass as apposed to alloy so not either as strong or durable, plus I assume they are not exactly made by master craftsmen based in Knights Bridge! like many I thought buy cheap and cheerful to see if I like cycle-touring-camping, then if I do upgrade and invest in a better one later.

After each two week tour I simply stick the tent in the washing machine (I use just water on the outer so as not to reduce the water repellent properties, on the inner I do use a solution designed for delicates/silk...only because I have some though, I confess I have no secret data as to why) and out it comes almost as good as new, I have had to replace the odd pole but that is normally down to me breaking one when being clumsy, as the poles do eventually get brittle and shatter/spilt. When this one gives up I will buy another

I would book ferry just to be on the safe side; mind you as you can see below we tried to go from New Haven and failed due to rough sea; very unusual that though. London-Paris is a lovely ride to do, here is a write up of the version I rode a couple years ago that may be of some interest; I hope you have a great time:

Sometimes cycle touring is as much about the adventure.............

Evelyn, Bob, John, Alistair (with cap part hidden), me, Steve, Liz, Alison, John and John at Morden Hall Park in South London, the other place is somewhere in Paris,

Thirteen of us started this four day cycle tour (with a fifth day off the bikes planned for sight seeing in Paris) at Clapham Common and headed south towards the evenings destination of Lewes near the Sussex Coast. To get out of London we used the very popular www.wandletrail.org, which as the name suggests is a trail/path, most of which can be used by cyclists that follows the River Wandle, from the Thames in Wandsworth to the river source near Croydon.

The Wandle Trail

Not only is this safer than the rush hour south London traffic but it is also much more picturesque, as the route takes you through the some beautiful parks along the route, like ‘Morden Hall’ near Merton Abbey Mills’, which is a park tucked away at the end of the London underground rail network Northern line, that like much of the trail turns what would be a rather hazardous and it has to be said not a particularly pretty road ride (I'm sooooooo sorry Morden, but pretty you are not) into what is a ride that many local to the area, myself included will actually chose to visit on a leisurely Sunday ride. Now when was the last time you ever heard someone say that Morden is worth a visit!

The Wandle Trail gate 86

We left the trail to join the famous London Brighton cycle route taking in the short climbs over the North Downs in Surrey with most of us stopping for lunch at the ‘Dog and Duck’ pub not far from Smallfields; just to be sociable of course, cycle touring is as much about the stopping bits as far as I am concerned! Shortly after Turners Hill we headed Eastwards meandering through the Pretty lanes towards Lewes and slap up meal at the local Inn where most were also staying for the night. Next morning we all cycled to Newhaven to catch the morning Ferry to Dieppe, which would have enabled us to spend the afternoon cycling thirty or so miles to the first night Hotel in France; it’s here our adventure really started to go all Phileas Fogg! For the first time in three months the Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry had been cancelled; we thought “oh well that’s it, we all have to go home, the end“!

Alison and Alistair in the Sussex lanes

Fortunately the ferry terminal put on a coach that would take foot passengers the 100 miles to Dover, the tour organiser, Kevin White, of Bike Adventures, taking all our bikes in the support vehicle, another coach we were assured would meet us in Calais to take us a similar distance to Dieppe. With the shorter Dover-Calais crossing that would only put us back a couple of hours, but if all went to plan this would not be a complete disaster as we would still just have enough time to the ride the thirty miles to the Hotel, most of which along a new cycle track that starts just outside Dieppe. The modern Ferry smoothed out the rough seas enabling us all to get a hearty meal inside us in preparation for what was now to be a late afternoon ride.

Much of the first day in France was through scenery like this,

Unfortunately on arrival at Calais the promised for coach was no where to be seen, although a very nice French lady on the answer machine repeatedly told me that my call was important to her and to remain in the queue while my mobile phone battery plummeted, I, indeed we all, remained optimistic that all would be well. Sure enough, quick as a flash, two hours later a chirpy garçon arrived with shiny coach to whiz us off to Dieppe. By this time we all realized that we would not arrive in time to do the ride so a plan was hatched to persuade the chirpy Frenchman to take us what would for him be an eighty mile round trip from Dieppe to the Hotel.

Chatuea D'Aveny

After much pleading; ok bribing (thankfully later paid for by Bike Adventures), he finally agreed. Although we had detailed route sheets, he was a bit of a spoil sport and completely refused to take the coach onto the new cycle network, so we quickly found him a map, all be it a not very detailed one which resulted in us getting lost 200 meters into the journey, note that I am now rather impressively referring to distances in metres; continental fashion. Not to be deterred chirpy garçon simply stopped the coach on major roundabout, blocking the dual carriage way, hopped out with engine still running and simply stood in front of an oncoming car to stop the driver to ask directions, strangely they didn’t seem to mind at all as if this was common practice, so after a quick smile and a wave we were on our a way ….only in France!!

Typical Ivy Clad house along the River Seine

We arrived at about ten o’clock, just in time to book into the hotel and head straight for the Local Chinese restaurant; not very French admittedly but we were all relieved to just be there! The morning route briefing was given in lovely sunshine and we all set off in cloudless sky. The wind however was still very strong, a mile into the ride this wind had changed the cloudless sky into a big black cloudy one and we were all soon to enjoy riding at forty five degrees with one eye closed in protection against a horizontal down poor!

Evelyn and Bob have a power rest

The shower was very short lived, plus we could often see each down poor arriving on the open landscape, so on many occasions we were able to take shelter, allowing for the short and very violent downpours to pass. By lunchtime a few of us decided to stop in a village that had a typical ‘locals’ restaurant, as in this case these often provide superb value meals, for fourteen Euros we got four courses, each delicious and well presented, all washed down with some good value yet very agreeable red wine. This for me is all part of cycle touring, absorbing the atmosphere that the local French people enjoy, I much prefer this style riding to the higher mileage tours, the food stops become a holiday memory, as apposed to simply a stop for fuel..

River Seine Click

On arrival at the hotel, most had managed to dodge many of the showers and some commented that they even had the start of a tan! I managed another slap on French meal in the evening with my new mates, something of a miracle as far as I was concerned; not the having new mates bit, but being able to manage any food at all after four courses earlier in the day!

The next day had us crossing the River Seine several times as we headed through the beautiful country side and Paris suburbs to our final destination at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The sun shone and we even had the occasional tail wind to help us on our way, the rain holding off until the Tower was insight. Bike adventures had found what was a relatively quite route into Paris, that included cycle routes, very impressive parks and suburban back roads.

No point in going to Paris unless you buy a silly...I mean sexy hat, John and Steve looking just "GOOOORGEOUS".

My friend Alistair and I were admiring the Eiffel Tower as we crossed the River Seine on a footbridge, pushing our bikes, the tower suddenly disappeared in another short lived down poor, with no where to hide we pressed on as we could see we were near the end. However the adventure for me had another twist, at the end of the footbridge I recall my last words to Alistair being “be careful this ramp may be slippery” as I held cycle in one hand and banister in the other I began pigeon stepping carefully down. A moment later I slipped on the wet decking surface, instinctively I tightened my grip on the banister, pulling my shoulder eight inches out of the socket as a result.

Paris rain, even the cars were finding it tough going, John took this at about the same time I was dislocating my shoulder!

As is common in moments like this I knew straight away that this was more than a simple slip on my backside and that I had hurt my self, confirmed moments later when little fountains of water appeared in each eye and my upper lip appeared to not be as stiff as a British man abroad should display; sorry Britain I have let you down! I immediately sent a text to Bike Adventures and some other friends ahead of us on the tour, unfortunately as I pressed send my mobile phone battery went flat; so I could only assume they had not been received! Alistair, who had managed to stay on his two feet, kindly asked some passing French people to phone for an Ambulance, who then sheltered me with their umbrellas until it arrived.

Even the Ducks dine well in Paris

There I was lying in the stretcher in the Ambulance shaking (in a rugged stallion like fashion of course) merrily away in shock, by this time feeling a tad sorry for my self; when Sue appeared in the doorway, I have never been so pleased to see anyone; ever! They had received one of my messages after all and came back to help! I must say that my fears of being treated as a result of an accident in a foreign hospital were completely quashed.

The care I received was magnificent, they allowed two of the group, Cliff and Sue to come with me in the Ambulance (the rest of the group Kevin swept up in van, I mean the Broom wagon; very Tour De France), at no time was I left alone, at no time was I made to wait, they were actively treating from the moment I entered the hospital to the moment that it took the four staff to pull my shoulder back into the socket; one pulling my good arm straight out as I sat in a chair, another pushing down on my shoulders, another trying to pull my bad arm straight out with the fourth also trying to pull my bad arm down, as my shoulder had popped under the socket, so it had to be pulled both out and down at the same time.

The doctor pulling my bad arm down was sitting on the floor, her legs up on the seat of my chair, eyes closed and grimacing and groaning (although it sounded sexy in French) as she pulled as hard as she could, all of which as you can image was pure joy :) hoorah for Morphine that‘s what I say! Within five minutes of it going back in I was in the Taxi on route to the hotel, modelling a trendy blue sling and rather fetching blue cape, the four staff all came to say goodbye and even the I can not speak any French I was able to make it very clear to them how grateful I was; a job well done.

The next day Bike Adventures transported all our bikes back to London Waterloo Station by van, meaning the rest of us had a free day in Paris to take in the sights, buy some souvenirs and have yet another slap up meal in a quaint Paris restaurant, before catching the late afternoon Euro star to rendezvous with our bikes at Waterloo. This tour may have been short, but it was action packed, as usual I met up with friends from previous tours and made some new ones. I may have to do it again next year; although with a few tweaks me thinks.

Group Photo somewhere in France, John and Liz, Me, Steve, Cliff and Sue, John, Bob and Eveleyn, John and Alistair
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 31 Jul 2008, 6:58pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
jake

London to Paris

Post by jake »

I have a route sheet for the Dieppe to Paris bit based on the help given to us by a professionally led group we met on the ferry. If you PM me your e-mail address I will forward it to you.
I would recommend a very under-rated, one man tent; the Lightwave t0 Trek. It weighs 1.59 kgs, is very stable in stormy weather and you should get it on the web for under £150.
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I have a tent I got from Millets its supposed to 2 man but at 6ft 2'' that would be tight but its very small and light and sits on my rear rack.

I guess get a decent sleeping bag although I use one my daughter got from the army which is good

You dont have to spend over £50 for tent unless your going on a long trip with severe weather or up mountains etc.
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

Forget tents - with French B&Bs offering such good value for money, why have the hassle after a long day's cyclling of pitching up and taking down next morning. Let alone cooking!

Example - 4-star (nearly 5-star) accommodation and evening meal in a B&B at Froissy for Euros 40 each - that's superbly appointed room with modern fully-tiled en-suite, evening meal with apperitifs (Kir-Normande), snail quiche and quails eggs, followed by 4-course dinner plus wine (organic food from farm), then breakfast of home made bread and jams - and eggs straight from the hens!

Beat that - you can find this superb B&B and others on three of my websites:

http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2005/froissy.html
http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2005
http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2004
http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2008
Sepulchre

Post by Sepulchre »

Interesting that - the old B&Bs - personally I wanted to use a tent, camp, and just use the skill of camping and trying to find a camp site. It was all about testing myself and testing whether I could travel without much cost. Freedom, sir.

I honestly feel the adventure was worth it...here's some pics btw

Thanks for all of your contributions btw... France was great for cycling - and the roads....smooooooooooooooooth.

And yes that is a baguette in my hand with a cheeky bottle of Kronenbourg Red! :o

Plus a video I made along the Champs Elysees...
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/murtaghj/London%20to%20Paris%202008/?action=view&current=DSCF3028.flv
Last edited by Sepulchre on 20 Aug 2008, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How can I be of use in the world? Can't I serve some purpose and be of any good?"
Vincent Van Gogh to Theo
July 1880
Letter 133
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

Sounds like a good trip - what route did you take btw (general idea - unless you have a detailed one to hand that is)? Just interested to see how you tackled the French side. Agree about the roads - put ours to shame!

Note yr 205 miles - we clocked 212 from Calais to Asnieres, Paris where we were staying, routing a little inland but more or less shadowing the coast from Calais to Baie of Somme, then eastwards across to Amiens and southwards following the Selle valley for a while before striking SE from Froissy acrosss to Creil and then S t SSW into Paris following minor roads most of the time (luckily I had the route from Froissy to Paris logged in my Garmin eTrek from a previous trip, so we had the advantage of being able to abandon maps and just follow the Garmin track!)

I'm still building the website but most of the photos are up at http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2008
Sepulchre

details of trip - ROUTE

Post by Sepulchre »

Hi there John - aka old geezer! :) My mileage was based on the entire London to Paris via Newhaven onto Dieppe then Paris.

Route from From London

The route I followed from West London I would record on bikely.com or myride.com but it never takes into account cycle routes or paths. Anyway, no matter, I essentially followed this route from Dr Rob who did the L2P in July it seems. I liked the sound of because it avoided the main roads and also avoided any NCN nonsense routes- Sustrans seriously rubbish routes and signage. This did not prevent me from encountering morning rush-hour idiots in Richmond etc. Various hand signs, aggression, speeding, getting very close to the bike etc. You know the score. It was stressful but held my own and concentrated on the fact I was off to nice France.

Bikely.com

Essentially bikely is rubbish if you want to use it on the road as directions, you cannot print with the route direct on it so you can only do screen shots and then paste it on to MS Word then print it off. I got lost at around Horsted Keynes mainly because I had tryied to cut down on paper usage and didn't print out a detailed enough road map at around that point.

I ditched the route and just got onto the A275 and then the main Lewes Road (A26) and headed down to Newhaven. It was a bloody ugly route I have to say, fumes, speeding cars, no views - plus it rained.

Dieppe

I followed the Avenue Verte from Dieppe - it's a 40 km cycle route, going through villages pretty much straight, following a disused railway line. I found it quite boring to be honest. I prefer riding through villages and seeing the sites and locals. A MASSIVE word of warning though. It took me an hour trying to find the entrance, it was NOT well signposted at the beginning in Dieppe. I had a good map but there was just no decent entrance signage, you know Departee or Bikes this way.... :arrow:

Anyway here's a route map:

Interestingly there are plans to extend the route all the way to Paris: "It is hoped a route will be in place for the 2012 London Olympic Games". I just hope it takes in some nice places, but cycle paths divide people I suppose.

From the Avenue Verte to Paris

I stopped at Forge-Les-Eaux and I followed a route given to me by someone who encountered a professional lot doing it a while back.

From Forges to Gournay I avoided the main D915. It was suggested to do the D921 to St Samson and then the D21. Highly recommended, some really tranquil countryside and great French villages.

From Gournay I headed to St Germer de Fly (pronounced Germay) which had a great and very ancient Cathedral/Abbey. A bugger of a hill then followed and I camped in Le Coudray-Saint-Germer right after it (obviously).

I finally left the campsite at Le Corduroy St Germer at 07.15; later than expected because the campsite had locked us in and I then had to carry bikes and panniers over some fences! It was a bit of a downer with the rain being so heavy for most of the morning but the grey skies, stark countryside, deserted roads and villages still asleep, it was an eerie experience!

Here are the next places I next went through...

Lalandelle
Le Vauroux
La Houssaye
Jouy La Grange
Jouy Sous Thelle
Le Mesnil Theribus
L'Ormeteau
Montherlant
Saint-Crépin-Ibouvillers

You really have to pay attention to the route map all of the time otherwise you do what I did. I took a wrong turning at Saint-Crépin-Ibouvillers and was in Lormaison before I realised my mistake. I turned around and took the longer route onwards to Villeneuve Les Sablons and then passing through Hénonville and Haravillers. It was by now about 10 am and up to this point in the morning I had been eating bananas, strawberries and chocolate, good high calory stuff for cycling. I ended up getting some breakfast further on at a boulangerie in Grisy-les-Plâtres. Some bread with melted cheese on it and a Suisse cake thing which was nice and sweet. The rest of the journey...

Gérocourt
Génicourt
Boissy-l'Aillerie
Puiseux
Pontoise
Courdimanche
Boisemont
Hautil
Chanteloup les Vignes
Carrieres
Poissy
St Germain en Laye passing the Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye - a French royal palace
Peco
Suresne

Maps

1) IGN Carte de Promenade 1: 100 000, Rouen/Abbeville (No 03) and Paris/Rouen (No 08).
2) Michelin No 101 Grande Banlieue de Paris, 1:53 000 (a good overview).
3) IGN Plan de Ville, Paris 1:12 000 (street map)
4) IGN Paris Mini Velo map

Summary sorta

Overall It was a really nice route, the weather played nice too until Sunday morning going towards Paris, but hey ho, I was prepared and it ended up being a pretty atmospheric ride what with the ominous clouds.

In planning I was tempted to go from Calais to Paris via the Somme, Agincourt and Crecy but thought it would take a lot longer and actually the countryside isn't that interesting along that way I've been told.

I think L2P is probably one of the highlights of my year and I’m sure I'll look back in life and have fond memories upon that first trip to Paris. I disappointed myself with no visits to churches (they all looked closed anyway, the French disinterested in the Church I expect).

I've renewed interest in France now and shall get to reading the Hundred Years War books I have on my shelf at home – highly recommended and written by a brilliant barrister by the name of Jonathan Sumption (The Hundred Years War III (due 2009))

People at work are impressed by what I’ve done - my fitness, stamina, audacity and also lack of any charity involved! I'm impressed with myself I have to say, quite chuffed really. France is very geared up for touring – I think I’ll need a new saddle before anymore trips, my backside got sore and I might get double handlebar thingys (butterfly handlbars) for any other business. As for the bike, well it is currently at Halfords getting a new headset, trued wheel, and possible new crank; a very good rate for three times a year service - only 30 quid. People complain about ""word corrected to Halfords"" but to be honest the independents and Evans are expensive; plus I don’t have to wait 3 weeks to book it in.

Salut!

Last edited by Sepulchre on 30 Aug 2008, 4:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Van Gogh to Theo
July 1880
Letter 133
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

Hi - a bit late at night now, and I have an early start - will write more tomorrow, but two quick points - saddle - yes, definitely get a new one - I now swear by a BG2 for my drop-bar bike, and a BG1 for my hybrid (BG = Specialized Body Geometry) - you can't get a BG1 now, but BG2 has been rebranded the BG Sport I think - I can go all day on it and not despair next morning when I saddle up again. Two - if you are a PAYE employee then buy your next bike via the Cyclescheme. I bought the bike I used for the Paris trip through it this year - a Specialized Tricross Comp Double (rides like a dream!) - tax saving (income tax and VAT) meant it was half retail price. If you want any more details drop me a line via the website email link.
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Just a quick question. How did you get back to the UK with your bike?

Michael
Sepulchre

Post by Sepulchre »

MichaelM wrote:Just a quick question. How did you get back to the UK with your bike?

Michael

The Eurostar takes bikes now as of April 2008, £20 mind, but you can book it in advance. http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/t ... cycles.jsp

Take it to the station about an hour before - then pick it up the other end. Waited about 15 minutes for it at St Pancras.

Sep
Vincent Van Gogh to Theo
July 1880
Letter 133
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Thanks, thats good to know.

Michael
bailout

Post by bailout »

Looks like it was a good trip. How long did it take you? I don't know whether you mentioned it but where did you camp? ( I saw one mentioned in France) and did you overnight in Paris?
Sepulchre

Post by Sepulchre »

bailout wrote:Looks like it was a good trip. How long did it take you? I don't know whether you mentioned it but where did you camp? ( I saw one mentioned in France) and did you overnight in Paris?

Sure - long answer

I left West London (Ealing Common) at about 10 am and got to Newhaven at about 4.30pm

I had a good pub lunch and stopped at a few places along the way.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/ ... CF1026.jpg

I cycled to the front of the queue at Newhaven Ferry terminal for the 6pm embarkation. No one seemed to mind - there was a fair bit of waiting around to get on board - around an hour.. Don't expect luxury at Newhaven, it's a real dump in fact. Mind you the cafe was very reasonably priced.

I got off the ferry at Dieppe about 11.30 pm, went up the wrong road, turned back, spoke bad French to a copper then went into the town proper. So basically bit a bit careful once off the ferry.

Dieppe at night I thought was rather magical - went over a few bridges through the town and saw lots of people mingling outside bars. No fighting, no vomiting. I then took a route up a long hill to a camp-site called Camping Vitamin http://www.camping-vitamin.com/. It was closed when I got there at 11.45pm (meant to be closed at midnight), but the bar next door was closing and lots of people were hanging around. I asked a British couple about and they said just camp up. I did, in the pitch dark beside some other tents and cars. Woke up, had a shower, left the camp site the next morning. And no I didn't pay. :twisted:

The next morning was beautiful, I cycled onto the Avenue Vert - I left at about 10 am. I camped at Le Coudray-Saint-Germer which was where I camped for the night and it was only 6 Euros - I got there at about 5.30pm.

The next morning I left pretty early at 07.15 am and got to the Champs Elysees in Paris at about 2pm. I didn't stay over night - I just cycled around Paris - which is awesome by the way, but probably enhanced by it being a Sunday. I cycled around the city streets and it was a real delight to be honest. The roads were practically deserted and the new cycle lanes incorporating the wildly successful velo system separated me from any traffic there was. I had a gander at the Paris map and cycled from the Arc De Triomphe to Le Trocadéro then down the Seine to I had a few hours to kill before my Eurostar train so I spent a few hours hanging out at Les Invalides which is where Napoleon is buried, having never previously visited it.

My Eurostar train was at about 7pm, I got there an hour before to hand in my bike. It's a bit disorganised with no clear signs but I picked up my bike at the other end of St Pancras.
Vincent Van Gogh to Theo
July 1880
Letter 133