Why I like single touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
james01

Post by james01 »

I like both: I've found that solo and/or accompanied tours are totally different from each other, enjoyable in different ways.
But you can't beat that feeling of liberation (especially if you're used to demanding family life) when you head off for a couple of days alone, without having to put every decision to the committee :)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I must admit that I am spoilt. I get a week each year more leave than my wife, and this is kept "for emergencies"

By management and planning, most floor fitting plumbing etc can be fitted in by bribing MiL or the odd day of time off in lieu.

This gives me a week in March each year to go touring on my own.

It is as said above different, I can travel as far and as fast (or slow) as I like, and without the responsibility for anyone else I can stop where I want, investigate what I want, and stay where I want!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I like both types equally. Though if touring in a group,I'd prefer if they were strangers at the start. I think that touring with your usual club-mates is just like an extended club-run. Fine for some,but I like the idea of CTC tours where you all start off together and hopefully become freinds along the way. All sharing new experiences together so to speak.
No time sadly for a CTC tour this year. Have done a couple. Thoroughly enjoyable too.
But when I've got just a few days off,then solo touring it is. The peace, ability to please myself,do as many or as few miles as I like and change the route on a whim if I feel like it.
I also seem to notice more about the countryside when I'm on my own.
cidermartin

Post by cidermartin »

I have always toured solo and love it. However, winter tours with stops at YHA hostels to provide some interesting people to converse with and provde the best of both worlds
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

Wildduck wrote:I'm quite happy with a day run with others. Having a natter and just pottering. But anymore is just too much!

So should we worry about the fact that you're thinking of a LEJOG with a group?!

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Don't worry too much, just a view point! I've actually done a few weekends with people I know and three days with strangers that I met on route with no problems. I'm usually pretty easy going but there is something to be said for single touring and not worrying about others whether its their cycles or their physical, emotional or psychological well-being (eg offending them :wink: ). Four significant tours (one over seven weeks long) kinda got me used to my own company (and somehow I wasn't bored once!).
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My thoughts; weekends away when I first started touring were great fun and an extension of the sunday clubrun. My first tour was with a boyfriend but the following year we had a group of 7 club members, by the end of 2 weeks we were getting a bit frayed around the edges with each other and but for the fact we had reserved seats I think we might have been in different compartments on the train home.

Have done a CTC where most of the group were strangers and a complex mix of personalities and abilities, we naturally coalesced into smaller groups of similar abilities for the day's riding meeting with everyone else at the end of the day.

Mostly have toured alone due to the fact not everyone that I cycled with had holiday at the time I wished to go on holiday/CTC tours did not go where I wanted to go. Mostly have had more fun by myself, meet more people/talk to more people (cos you have to) etc etc. Though sometimes it is better to share the bad times with someone; when you can't make the hotel proprietor understand/the bike gets a mechanical etc.

I guess if you are doing a longish tour with someone you need to get along really well with them and be aware of each other's strengths and weaknesses to support each other thru bad times, to have similar goals for the trip and have similar abilities.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tony

Post by Tony »

Lying in a tent in Western Australia last year, looking up through clear skies to more stars than I will ever see again, silence, solitude.....
Yup, I'll keep soloing.
Patrickpioneer

Re:

Post by Patrickpioneer »

mr_hippo wrote:When I was a member of a club we did have weekends away but there were normally 10-15 riders. I did arrange to go on a three day tour with a club member - he seemed OK. The route was Widnes - Holmfirth - Matlock - Widnes. The first lunch stop was at Glossop at a chippy, I ordered fish and chips but Big Tom ordered two portions of fish and chips, two meat and potato pies and four thick slices of bread & butter. Has anyone ever had a meat & potato pie sandwich? Place the pie between two slices of bread and squash it! He devoured his lunch with all the expertise and elegance of a JCB! We set off after lunch and I had to think of a good excuse why I had to go home - this was before the days of mobile phones. We parted company just after Woodhead and I vowed never again!
I've been on various club runs out here but they are not for me.
Now, I'm all on my lonesome but it has many advantages - my route, my pace, my stops, if I want to cut the run short then I can do. If only I could persuade Mrs Hippo to get a tandem!!!

I am still reading old post and I think this is hilarious and cheered me up no end this wet, windy morning
:D
Pat
Cyril Haearn

Re: Why I like single touring

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Patrick wins the thread resurrection trophy, Plus One, might never have seen this otherwise :)
Wet & windy here too, trying to decide if I dare cycle to the train station
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

When I cycle alone, I yearn for company....When I cycle in company, I yearn for solitude.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

largeallan wrote:When I cycle alone, I yearn for company....When I cycle in company, I yearn for solitude.

Thats very deep, I love philosophy.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

largeallan wrote:When I cycle alone, I yearn for company....When I cycle in company, I yearn for solitude.

Me to a tee.

As a fully paid up member of the MOG Society, I tend towards the singular. Sometimes when out with mates, but not involving touring - although there might be a bike somewhere - a visitor might think they had walked on to the set of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm afraid the most interesting thing for me is how only 2? of the original posters are still active.

What's the average life of a forum member. I've been on since 2007 and am surprised I didn't contribute to this thread.

Pretty much a die hard solo tourer now, not only because I prefer it for all the reasons given above, but also because I don't know anybody who would want to go touring now. Any old touring partners I had have: given up, got too old/incapable, died, got married, jobs, etc. Sad but true.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’m a single tourer. I find I have a limit of around 5 days by myself before I feel the need to have actual conversations with humans. Now and again wish I had someone on holiday to share the experience with, but the one time I did a weekend with a mate by the second day we were splitting up rather than cycling together and just meeting for lunch etc. anyway...