Why I like single touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: Why I like single touring

Post by reohn2 »

simonhill wrote:I'm afraid the most interesting thing for me is how only 2? of the original posters are still active.....

Perhaps they prefer to be alone :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
althebike

Post by althebike »

I love passing the time of day with folks I meet on route. If I can ride the odd mile with a friendly person, it provides me with a happy memory which stays with me for years. However committing myself to a group is different. If the group is too fast I get anxious if it is too slow I get bored .Sometimes I am hanging on the back hoping a coffee stop comes soon, other times I rue the cafe breaks and want to press on .
PH

Post by PH »

honesty wrote:the one time I did a weekend with a mate by the second day we were splitting up rather than cycling together and just meeting for lunch etc. anyway...

Some of my all time favourite tours have been with a companion which worked just like this, it wasn't the original intention, but evolved over several trips. We had different cycling abilities, preferences and interests - we might spend all day together or one might go off to explore something not of interest to the other, if one wanted to get up at dawn and the other wanted a leisurely lie in, there was no need for either to compromise. It was IMO the best of both, I miss that he no longer tours.
I have toured in groups or with companions where it didn't work so well, the problems can always be traced back to not having a clear idea at the planning stage. The relationship with my E2E companion deteriorated throughout the ride, we were hardly on speaking terms towards the end, I'd seen it as a challenge he as a tour, not a question of right or wrong, but we'd have both preferred solo rides.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Patrick wins the thread resurrection trophy, Plus One, might never have seen this otherwise :)
Wet & windy here too, trying to decide if I dare cycle to the train station

+1 :D
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I like both. I love touring with just my wife, now that the children go on their own trips. She likes to visit old churches and towns, so we potter along at a quite relaxed pace. I can do this for weeks without getting bored.
Unfortunately our schedules do not always match, so in some years we have to compromise and that may involve longish solo trips on my part. Those are a quite different experience, with a usually more strenuous plan. Since I am used to quite long solo trips for work (up to a few months or even more) I am quite used to being on my own. Even so, I have found that my solo bike tours should not be longer than about two weeks. After that, I get a bit bored. But sure, riding alone, with your own thoughts and your own plans for the day, is wonderful.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonhill wrote:I'm afraid the most interesting thing for me is how only 2? of the original posters are still active.

What's the average life of a forum member. I've been on since 2007 and am surprised I didn't contribute to this thread.

Pretty much a die hard solo tourer now, not only because I prefer it for all the reasons given above, but also because I don't know anybody who would want to go touring now. Any old touring partners I had have: given up, got too old/incapable, died, got married, jobs, etc. Sad but true.

I see I’ve been here since 2010 but I’m an intermittent poster with .22 posts a day- which is probably plenty! I lean to solo touring but find it difficult for a prolonged period- it’s my biggest worry for the USA tour. I do find though that I am stronger mentally when I am physically fit and well prepared for the trip so I’m hoping preparation on and off the bike will help me through any low moments.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

My first tour abroad was the Pamir Highway with 3 of the nicest folk you could wish to meet.
I hated it.
Group touring was not for me. Too many variables/ desires/ etc.
Maybe it would have been better to only stick roughly together.
Each to their own of course.
I think I decided to do it for safety reasons.
But that proved totally unnecessary.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who dislikes going alone? Needs to be in a group?

Does the ctc organise solo rides? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I prefer to ride alone. I'm more likely to talk to other people, in fact I'm generally at my most sociable when touring alone. I tend to experience greater hospitality, can cut short or do lots of miles on a whim, wild camp more easily in some really cool places, have head space. Besides I'd drive other people mad stopping to explore and take photos all of the time!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Had Latin at school, I like the Italian but can not quite understand it :wink:
Care to post a translation?
Gracia
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Had Latin at school, I like the Italian but can not quite understand it :wink:
Care to post a translation?
Gracia

A rather big ask.

Suggest you use google translate.

Have used it a few times searching for hidden english content in your posts :)

On core topic, i tour alone - don't know anyone who does my sort of touring.

No problem chatting to folk along the way and find that folk are often very open to a cyclist stopping to ask a question then segueing into a natter - can't imagine they would be quite so open to a person pulling over in a car, winding the window down and nattering.
Sweep
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

All my tours are with my wife of 34 years. Nowadays we do a 3 month camping tour most summers. Aside from the fact she wouldn't let me go alone, because she wants to do it as well, I find touring as a couple has several advantages.
Weight of camping equipment is shared between 2 (a 2.2kg tent is much more comfortable for a couple than a 1.1kg tent for a solo).
Tools and common spares are pooled so less need to be taken.
Sharing chores - it is more efficient for me to be pegging the tent out while she inflates air mattresses.
Shopping - in dodgy areas there is someone to watch the bikes while the other buys food.
As we have been together a long time we know what each other is thinking - we are more understanding if one or other of us is ill or just having a bad day.
Difficulties along the way are less daunting with two of you.
You eat better - it is more worthwhile cooking "proper food" when it is for two of you.

There are compromises to be made though - Janet would be happy at 40-60km per day, I prefer 60-100, so we compromise on a norm of 50-80. One of us can be in need of a rest day when the other would prefer to push on, the rest day usually prevails, so you actually have more rest days than a solo would.

I do realise that I am probably in a fortunate minority to have a partner who enjoys the same lifestyle as I do.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes you sound truly blessed robin.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I tour on my own.

First, I'm a miserable antisocial old git. Second, I cycle far too slowly for anyone else. Third, I like to stop whenever I want for as long as I want.
John