Highest Road?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrsbloomsburybarton

Highest Road?

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

What is the highest road in England and the highest road in Wales? I define 'road' as something at least marked yellow on an OS map!
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Donkey's years ago, one of the cycling handbooks (the sort of thing you used to read if you arrived at the YH a bit early and too cream-crackered to explore) used to list the A 689 between Alston to Wearhead as the highest A class road in England, I think. I know that wasn't the question but that's the nearest I have.

There is a village in N Wales on the A 525 bteween Wrecsam (AKA Wrexham) and Llandegla with a sign saying it is the highest in Wales.

Even less connected with your question, Wanlockhead YH ( is it still there?) used to claim to be in the highest village in Scotland.

Are you entereing a pub quiz? :wink:
workhard

Post by workhard »

harthorpe moss and or killhope cross, both in weardale, should float your boat as highest public roads in England; others will argue for Great Dun Fell but it is 'only' a bridleway.

Bwlch y Groes in Wales is the highest there to the best of my knowledge. YMMV.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin

You have probably achieved the record ( or the most buzzing in your ears) for the longest link ever :shock:
cranky

Post by cranky »

...and I thought the idea was to make links shorter :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
workhard

Post by workhard »

thirdcrank wrote:There is a village in N Wales on the A 525 bteween Wrecsam (AKA Wrexham) and Llandegla with a sign saying it is the highest in Wales.

wonder what the good folk of Llangurig in Mid-Wales have to say about that claim?
Dean

Post by Dean »

Aye, Harthope Head from Langdon Beck in Teesdale to St John's Chapel in Weardale and Killhope Cross from Alston in Tynedale to Weardale (A689) are both listed as 627m. They're the highest through roads in England. Just up the road is Coldberry End, though you wouldn't get most cars over it.

My claim to fame? I've ridden all three 8)

More info here:

http://www.4x4xplore.com/about/highroadsindex2.html

Note the section on low roads: I've ridden along one of those too...

Glenshee, on the A93 in the Cairngorms, is listed as the UK's "highest through tarred public road". 670m. I haven't ridden that. Yet.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

workhard wrote:wonder what the good folk of Llangurig in Mid-Wales have to say about that claim?

Weineb dros dro?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:Cunobelin

You have probably achieved the record ( or the most buzzing in your ears) for the longest link ever :shock:

cranky wrote:...and I thought the idea was to make links shorter :)

I know - but the book title is so wonderfully eccentric that it would be criminal to shorten it

It also describes the contents precisely
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is * confirmation for Gt Dun Fell at 848 m as being the highest (Tarmacked) road in Great Britain!

*Short enough link?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think there's more to life than just breaking records :wink: (Although two in one thread is pretty good 8) )
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I'm heading for Teesdale next week, only to be heading South via Grains o' th' Beck. No high roads for me, thank you.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:I think there's more to life than just breaking records :wink: (Although two in one thread is pretty good 8) )

Is U sayin that I is SAD?
workhard

Post by workhard »

Cunobelin wrote:There is * confirmation for Gt Dun Fell at 848 m as being the highest (Tarmacked) road in Great Britain!

*Short enough link?

It isn't a public road. It is a public bridleway that the owner happens to have tarmac-ed for their own convenience..... so does it really count from the OP's perspective?