Quebec Montreal & Ottawa - experiences?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JC4LAB

Quebec Montreal & Ottawa - experiences?

Post by JC4LAB »

Anyone ever cycled around or between these cities?Please share your experiences.
p_pitstop

Post by p_pitstop »

I've just got back from Ottawa and it was great for cycling. There are quite a few USEFUL cycle paths that go along the rivers/canal and across Ottawa. The ones that were not next to water were a bit tricky to find but they have a solid surface. The downside is that you as they are so well used by pedestrians and cyclists you have to slow down a bit for manouvring - speed limit is only 20kmph.

Even cycling on the roads is fine. If you can cope on UK roads then Ottawa will seem quite empty.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

Thanks..I am pretty keen on this trip..I know its 143miles from Quebec to Montreal and cycling in this area would be a great way of seeing a lot of Canada in a manageable way....I believe Montreal bikefest in June gets 30000 riders which is something else to try one day....
aquilegia

Post by aquilegia »

A few years ago, I biked the length of the rail-trail "Le P'tit Train du Nord", which goes from Mont Laurier, which is north of Ottawa, to St. Jerome, a northern suburb of Montreal. It would certainly be a longer distance than riding directly from Ottawa to Montreal, but it would be a lovely route. The trail portion is 200km/125 miles. It was crushed stone when I rode it, but I understand much of it is now paved. The trail cuts right through the Laurentians and is quite scenic. The province of Quebec is developing an extensive network of bike trails called La Route Verte. Most are unpaved.
canamdad

Post by canamdad »

This link might be helpful: www.hedney.com/o-m.htm