What tent ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cosstick

What tent ?

Post by Cosstick »

Hey, im looking to get a new tent and im unshure what to get, Ive had a look around and like the look of the vango banshee, What do you think ?

thats about at the top of my budget (£60-70), so ive concidered the argos special aswel.

Any other suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks, Simon

PS. Im not the smallest of people so a 2 man would be preferable :D
cyclepete

Post by cyclepete »

hi have you looked at the coleman avior x2 its got great reviews but is about £10 over your budget
you might find it cheaper :)
Si

Post by Si »

Re: argos tents, etc I assume that you've read this thread...

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16188

there is some good advice in there :wink: .
Si

Post by Si »

BTW, I have two vangos (a micro and a milano i think), and I find them both just slightly on the short side (I'm 5'11"), dunno how others get on with them?
Cosstick

Post by Cosstick »

Hmm i think i will leave the argos special, and maybe go for a vango or that coleman,
i was also considering the vango beta for extra space as with the porch area it can fit a bike in also just gives a bit more living area. But the extra weight and pack size is making me think twice!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I had an Argos special for a while. Nothing wrong with it.
bailout

Post by bailout »

Not got one myself but they seem to get reasonable reviews on the outdoorsmagic forum. A quick comment on the size. You say you are 'not petite', but don't say in which direction? ;) From the look of the tent they are two man width but probably not very long and they have little porch space for cooking.

You say you have looked at the infamous Argos tent. That is only one man and also has little space in the porch but because of its shape it is actually quite long. It is also easy to peg out the outer at the front and 'unclip' the inner which will then fold back to where the large pole is. The tent is quite high there. I did this and the resulting porch was large enough and high enough to cook in comfortably while sitting in the inner tent. Obviously to sleep you then have to clear the porch and lay the inner back down.

Some OM threads on the Banshee

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... 98/V/8/SP/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... UTN/19199/
Cosstick

Post by Cosstick »

Thanks for the info on the banshee, i think it will be a bit small for me, height wise mainly, i like to be able to sit up inside it at least.

well, im not petite in either direction so i think a solo would be out of the question.

im 6ft 1 so would like a bit more length, also you mentioned cooking inside the porch! is this safe ? guess if its fire proof it should be ok!

Are there any others you can recommend ?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Cosstick wrote:also you mentioned cooking inside the porch! is this safe ? guess if its fire proof it should be ok!

You stay under the porch with the stove outside.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

andymiller wrote:
Cosstick wrote:also you mentioned cooking inside the porch! is this safe ? guess if its fire proof it should be ok!

I mostly cook with stove in porch -not outside!
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 26 Sep 2008, 9:12am, edited 1 time in total.
vernon

Post by vernon »

john28july wrote:
andymiller wrote:

I mostly cook with stove in porch -not outside!
John.

I mostly cook outside with the stove in the porch.
cranky

Post by cranky »

:)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
jake

tents

Post by jake »

Wild Country (an off-shoot of Terra Nova) have a new-ish tent out called a Sololite (1.9 ks). It's had good reviews in the hiking mags and there is one for £84 in the: www.terra-nova.co.uk/clearance.