How many of us are still using paper maps?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mr_hippo

How many of us are still using paper maps?

Postby mr_hippo » 20 Oct 2008, 4:57am

How many of us are still using paper maps? I am planning a big trip next year and have an idea that I think may be commercially viable but don't want to make it public yet! I need input from fellow tourists who will give me their honest opinion. PM me if you want to know more.

Please note. Mr Hippo is no longer a contributor to the CTC Forum. At his own request he has been blocked from posting, due to posting "problems" elsewhere. . . . .Graham

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 20 Oct 2008, 8:31am

I tour with proper maps, and love seeing the route unfold in reality, or being able to use it to spot views and work out what mountain is what, in the distance.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 20 Oct 2008, 8:32am

pages ripped out of a cheap road atlas for long trips, OS maps for short trips

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 20 Oct 2008, 8:45am

Somebody PLEASE publish a full set of OS style 1:100,000 maps for the UK!

lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 20 Oct 2008, 9:49am

Simon L6 wrote:pages ripped out of a cheap road atlas for long trips, OS maps for short trips

me too...laminated for wet weather!
its a real sense of achievement working your way thro the pages
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

leftpoole

Re: Maps

Postby leftpoole » 20 Oct 2008, 12:22pm

mr_hippo wrote:How many of us are still using paper maps? I am planning a big trip next year and have an idea that I think may be commercially viable but don't want to make it public yet! I need input from fellow tourists who will give me their honest opinion. PM me if you want to know more.

On a cycle a Map is king! GPS etc have no place on a cycle in my opinion. Touring with maps is about freedom and enjoyment in the traditional way-in my opinion anyhow!
John.

PW

Postby PW » 20 Oct 2008, 12:24pm

And another for the cheap road atlas. I only use O.S. maps if I'm exploring a small area in detail, for long runs the atlas pages are cheap, easily available, weigh nothing and it doesn't matter if the map gets ruined.
Plus the batteries don't go flat in the middle of nowhere! :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

AndyB

Postby AndyB » 20 Oct 2008, 12:40pm

Maps for me, usually the 1:250k OS tour maps for the UK, but sometimes pages from a road atlas. 1:100k would be about right, but I find the 1:250 pretty good for country lanes, less so for towns. One benefit of the OS maps over a road atlas (or at least my old one) is the terrain it shows - very useful when you want a good hilly ride!

robgul

Postby robgul » 20 Oct 2008, 1:01pm

Using a mixture ... plot the route on Mem Map and then print to A4 landscape pdf - then print pdf at 2 pages per sheet to get A5 size - cut sheets in half and then you have a map book! Just need to juggle the printed scale around to get readable size.

Also use Mem Map to create GPS files .... have to say I prefer maps unless it's an Audax when the GPS saves laods of time - bleeps, look at arrow, turn!

I still love paper maps BUT they are expensive ... and I always seem to go somewhere in the corner of the sheet, and thus need 4 maps :cry:

Rob

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 22 Oct 2008, 5:59pm

Similarly to previous posts, I use pages sliced out of last-year's road atlas for day to day navigation. Before my tour I add locations of campsites, places I want to visit, etc., and afterwards I can highlight my route. I usually take a 'real' map too, such as the OS 'Road' series which is 1:250,000 and has contour lines. Sometimes I use OS 1:50,000 maps if I'm doing a short tour in one area, and I usually borrow these from the library. The detail seems a luxury, and the scale gives me the impression I'm covering the miles far faster than usual!

Not at all interested in GPS or anything like that - the less nickable things and technology the happier I am when touring. But like a previous poster I would love a series of 1:100,000 maps.

martinwf5

Postby martinwf5 » 22 Oct 2008, 6:47pm

Not actually toured on a bike, but my daily duties as a delivery driver (local) i use road maps, only had 2 in the last ten year, never sent me a wrong way, then again i like to use my brain and plan a good route,

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Oct 2008, 6:59pm

Simon L6 wrote:pages ripped out of a cheap road atlas for long trips, OS maps for short trips

Sussex Stationers is "clearing" the AA close up Britain map - excellent cscale with lots of cycle routes marked!

Get an a "Art folio" and then carefully razor or scalpel the binding to release the sheets, storing them in page order. WHen touring take outthe one you want, and then replace it in order on return.

I tend to travel this or with a large scale "Guide book" scale and then OS on the SatMap.

Ron

Postby Ron » 22 Oct 2008, 10:09pm

I use paper maps backed up with a compass clipped on a belt loop. Never felt inclined to go any way electronic. I do not plan a tour route in any detail, preferring to vary the route to suit wind, weather, mood and features of interest along the way.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Oct 2008, 10:25pm

One of the reasons I use GPS is as a record..

You can deviate as much as you like and then simply navigate back to a point.

The thing I love is being able to revisit a route with speed, detours, getting lost, elevation etc.

emergency_pants

Postby emergency_pants » 22 Oct 2008, 10:35pm

Cunobelin wrote:One of the reasons I use GPS is as a record..

You can deviate as much as you like and then simply navigate back to a point.

The thing I love is being able to revisit a route with speed, detours, getting lost, elevation etc.

I don't have a GPS yet, but they are the exact reasons why I really would love to have one.

I don't think I'd ever consider any kind of lengthy journey without some kind of paper map though (even as a backup)... that would be foolish, I think.