How many of us are still using paper maps?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
braz

Post by braz »

Paper every time for me - but I just jot down the villages or road numbers on route, and they 'unroll' as I go along! As touring is not ALL about speed, the odd occasion when I go astray really does not matter - a few extra m/km in a thousand is trivial - and I often find a better route/a tea stop/grand vista/ that I would otherwise have missed.

Hasta la vista, as they say in France. regards to al, Braz.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

I go for the "combination" vote. Would never go out without paper maps, but my little Garmin Gecko 201 is a very useful accessory, but never a total substitute. I like planning routes on my Fugawi mapping software and then uploading the route to the Gecko and printing off the plotted route to take with me. The Gecko doesn't show the maps on its screen but displays a "compass" arrow indicating the direction of the next turn as well as displaying the OS map reference. Just saves getting the map out so often. The Gecko also records the actual route I take, so when I just "go where the fancy takes me" I've got an accurate log to download to Fugawi mapping software to study.

So, neither an Aye or Nay from me. I like both, but would emphasise that I'd never rely on the gps alone. So at the end of the day it's paper maps first - not least because they don't need batteries that run out at the most inconvenient moment.
Genesis Rider

Map or GPS

Post by Genesis Rider »

I much prefer Maps, though confess to using the Garmin Edge to record my trips and I use Bikeroutetoaster.com to do my planning.
I suspect it's what you prefer and get used to that matters
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

Paper.
I wouldn't know how to even start with electronic stuff. It all confuses me and I really hate most modern stuff. I have been trying to get away from it all I dont need any more infuriating techno stuff. I even hate this damn lap top which like every computer I've used I seem to spend more time waiting for stuff to come up or get "page error etc, cannot find site etc" and its all I can do to not throw it against the wall. :x :roll:
(yes I know I wouldn't have been able to read ctc or post this without one. but....!) :roll:
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Paper maps. I was pondering this question t'other nightwhile looking at an old OS and thinking how much more pleasurable it is compared to say, a Google map.
I want an index of the things that matter to a cyclist, road and lane systems of course, elevation but also interesting country houses, archaeology, river systems, built up areas and how to avoid them. I don't want a literal interpretation of everything in the landscape nor merely a road atlas. The old Barts 2 miler's or OS 1" with brown toned hills were near perfect, you travelled through the map and the land revealed itself at a pace a rider could take in.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Paper here, too. Also, in Schleswig this year I was being asked by a Dutch couple how I could follow the "route" with a general map rather than the official guide.
Because I don't always follow "routes".....
meic

Post by meic »

The GPS is very good at getting you from A-B quickly and without fuss (provided that you have told it the route you want to take beforehand and dont use its pathetic sat-nav functions)

The map is very good at giving you information about things that are around you and allowing you to drift where and as you like.

At 165grams I would never venture anywhere that was not a regular route without the GPS.
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Paper maps by preference for me. I prefer to make up my routes on the fly, and GPS maps don't have the required detail.
I've got a GPS with maps, but generally use it as a recorder, and the small on screen maps as a reminder of where I decided to go. If I'm going into or through a built up area, I'll put the pointer at a required point and tell it to take me there, but that's about all.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Hi

I'm not sure whether you said it in jest but:

Hasta la vista, as they say in France.

If you think they say that in France rather than in Spanish-speaking countries perhaps it's time for a new map? :lol:
Last edited by Jonboy on 11 Nov 2008, 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.
barney

Post by barney »

I have a phillips navigator atlas, great scale, I had the bindings cut off and put it in a folder and I copy the sections i need to save weight. Read a couple of years ago that the phillips is the business for cycle touring and it works for me.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

I use paper maps backed up by voice instructions from amAze on my mobile. It works ok(ish) although there's no way to upload waypoints/POIs etc. - hopefully that should be coming soon. I can't complain really, as it's free.
nick arrow

Post by nick arrow »

When will they produce (bike accessory manufacturers, are you listening?) a bar bag, with instead of a map pocket, a wee weatherproof LCD screen, say 7" or 9", microprocessor, couple of gigabytes of memory would hold the whole UK OS map, GPS receiver, we'd have the best of both worlds. All the technology exists, cheaply, it's just a matter of putting it together. Come on somebody ...
Cullin

Post by Cullin »

Hi,
I use both OS / IGN maps in conjuntion with the Garmin Vista CX GPS, The paper map allows you to see the big picture, and the GPS to confirm location, also handy for points of interest and track properties.

Have a look at the Satmap A10 (Active 10) you can get the UK OS maps for it on SD card. Brother in Law just got one, and he loves it... this is this 4th GPS.