Touring Denmark, maybe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tony

Post by Tony »

I stopped in a few Danish hostels. Would really rate Viborg as beautiful, and the hostel is in a superb spot. The warden at Saeby has a guest book specially for cyclists.
Maria, the Swiss warden at Hadsund, is a real sweety, and the hostel is combined with a campsite.
What I would say is that the "fast food" you find in most places there is an abomination. Polsevagner (excuse typeface).....dear gods....
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Tony wrote:... Would really rate Viborg as beautiful ...

Noted, thanks. The Swiss maid as well.

The Danish Cycling Federation 1:100,000 Maps can be bought at Stanfords but they are indeed expensive at £31.95 each, so to begin with I've ordered the Danish Cycling Federation Denmark by Bicycle Map which covers the whole country at 1:500,000.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Got the map. Got the ferry tickets. Insurance next.

This isn't terribly easy. I see policy extensions only for snowboarding, skiing, and scuba diving on travel insurance websites (that don't offer phone support - no thanks). Can't find a broker I can phone for Fortis Insurance. I'm tempted to join the CCT and buy Cyclecover, as this would presumably give year-round insurance in the UK as well.
cycletourer

Post by cycletourer »

Patrick

You may have read the thread on travel insurance here. Since that thread we tried Fortis but on speaking directly to the underwriters they would insure us for cycle touring but they would not repatriate the bikes in the event of an accident or illness.

Last year for our tour to Iceland we took out the CTC Cyclecover insurance. We changed our bike insurance from our household insurance to the CTC cover as this was the only way that if something did happen we could be sure that we would be repatriated along with our bikes, something we double checked with the CTC.

And yes if you take out the year long policy it will cover you all year for the UK. Also if like us you wish to go skiing, you add winter sports on for a small extra fee.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Many thanks. I did read that thread. That's why I was wondering about Fortis.

As soon as I joined these forums I knew it would only be a matter of time before I joined the CCT. Mind you, I'm not planning on having any reason to claim on the insurance.
syklist

Re: Touring Denmark, maybe

Post by syklist »

patricktaylor wrote:We're thinking of two weeks cycling around Denmark some time in 2009, probably in May (me and my wife, that is). We would want to stay in hotels or decent Youth Hostels. Typical daily average mileage might be 50 miles, excluding stop-days for sightseeing etc. I'll be carrying most of what we take (four panniers).

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who's done anything similar. Did you have a nice time? Is there anything about Denmark we should not miss (or should watch out for)? Is May a good time of year?

We did the North Sea Cycle Route in Jutland, Denmark in 2006. http://mistymornings.net/travel/2006/ . The NSCR was quite well signposted, and we were able to get a good guide from Cycline which made life easier. If we'd had the equivalent of an OS series map then life would have been even easier.

We camped most of the time so can't help you with much information about hotels in Denmark. There was a good motel for cyclist in Kolding. However many of the campsites had nice family rooms with plenty of room to shower and spread your stuff out in.

A good time to go is when it isn't wet and windy :D We arrived in Denmark at the beginning of August and after three days of sun had atrocious weather for the next few days. Headwinds can be a problem on the coast and anywhere where you end up exposed. I guess you could have great weather in May or get very wet and cold. Rather like the West Coast of the UK.

Terrain is quite flat on the coast but rolling further inland. Rather like Cheshire or other parts of middle England. We had some problems with road and cycle track surfaces on the NSCR. Deep gravel, soft sand and surfaces broken up by the torrential rain. Our 37-622 tyres were just wide enough however wider tyres would have been helpful. The sand worked its way into wheel and rear cassette bearings which required cleaning en-route. However we were using very cheap bikes on that trip.

Places we liked; Saltum Strand (beach) was lovely the route passes along the beach itself. Bulbjerg with views over the big sand dunes is worth a visit. The coast between Hanstholm and Skagen was very generally gorgeous. As other posters have mentioned Ribe is worth a day. Oh and the huge sculptures at Esbjerg. The biggest surprise of the trip was Kolding, at the end of the trip with the town centre, restored castle and Trapholt design museum. That is worth a day or two as well. Aahus is a lively University town a bit further up the East Coast of Jutland.

Denmark is generally a good place to go cycling, good provision for cyclists and lots of signposts on cycletracks. I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip (weather permitting!).

HTH
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Stan, many thanks. I read your 'Cycling the NSCR in Denmark' travelogue. Very interesting, and I really enjoyed the photos.
syklist

Post by syklist »

patricktaylor wrote:Stan, many thanks. I read your 'Cycling the NSCR in Denmark' travelogue. Very interesting, and I really enjoyed the photos.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers

Stan
Helen

Touring Denmark maybe

Post by Helen »

How to get there?

DFDS ferry Harwich-Esbjerg v expensive - about £160 plus train fare to get to Harwich. Sailing time 20 hours.

Ryanair Birmingham-Billund dep 14.50, arr 17.30
eg Thurs 4 June £32.12 inc tax + £30 bike + 1 bag checked in £10 + airport check in £5 = £77.12
Free to use Visa Electron card (open Halifax Easycash account online to get one)
Train Wigan-Birmingham New Street £12.50

See you there!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

True, the ferry is expensive (cabin, breakfast, etc). £160 for the train to Harwich is ridiculous. We're parking the car long-stay at Harwich, which will be expensive too. Never mind. At least the cycling will be free.

I'm hoping to save a lot of money by using thermos flasks, drink bottles, and food boxes. Mostly self-made catering, in other words. I live off tea and sandwiches anyway. I want to take my own cereal as well.

Have a pleasant trip! (I think we'll be leaving just as you're arriving)
Helen

Touring Denmark maybe

Post by Helen »

Sorry - just to clarify, I meant the FERRY fare is £160 as far as I could make out. And what does a single traveller do with the cabin situation? Do they have to share with strangers? Normally I'd try to kip on the floor somewhere, but this doesn't seem to be an option. Not even reclining chairs???

Once I saw that price, I didn't bother with checking train fares and timetables.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

"£160 for the train to Harwich" = my mistake. Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough.

I was talking in my LBS about this today, and he said he used to chat up the medics on board and get a bunk in the sick bay. I would have thought if you booked a single ticket you'd be in your own cabin with the top bunk folded up, but that's just a guess.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

We went to Denmark the last couple of weeks. Over 10-11 days we covered about 450 miles fully-loaded for camping:

Esbjerg / Ribe / Middelfart / Assens / Soro / Copenhagen / Elsinor / Nekselo Bay / Arhus / Brande / Kaerbaek / Esbjerg

denmark01.jpg

denmark02.jpg

denmark03.jpg

Wonderful! (Denmark, BTW, is not flat)

Outside of towns and villages we saw almost no other cyclists. A very quiet country, with fine weather in May. Recommended, if you don't mind paying £5 for a drink of beer.
syklist

Post by syklist »

patricktaylor wrote:We went to Denmark the last couple of weeks. Over 10-11 days we covered about 450 miles fully-loaded for camping:
[snip]
Wonderful! (Denmark, BTW, is not flat)
[snip]

Good to hear you enjoyed your trip :) I'm stuck with weekends away in Holland at the moment, can't wait to head up North once more.
Cheers
Stan
cycletourer

Post by cycletourer »

It is great to hear you had a great time. Denmark is such a pleasant country to cycle in, the countryside is lovely, the people are friendly and it very much has a village atmosphere even in the towns.

You are quite correct it isn't flat and some parts of south east Jutland it is like short sharp interval training up and down the short but steep glaciated valleys.

The price of beer has certainly gone up since we were last there, mind you a cold Tuborg is lovely at the end of a long days cycling. :wink: