Ferry service to Iceland?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AMC

Ferry service to Iceland?

Post by AMC »

Hi - have been trying to get info about getting a ferry to Iceland next June, but it seems that "due to financial reasons" there will no longer be a service from Scrabster, or anywhere else in Scotland. I've tried one of the the freight line websites but no joy there either. One of the passenger ferry websites does have a map that appears to show a route stopping at Lerwick, but no mention of this stop in the timetable, & I'm too tight to phone Smyril Line directly in their Scandinavia office. Does anyone know anything about this? It'll take too long to travel to Denmark or Rotterdam for us. Shame, as we'd rather not fly & I was looking forward to a couple of days seasickness & being abandoned in the Faroe Isles!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Last time I looked at the possibility of erry to Iceland (consultant would not agree to me flying at 35 weeks preggers), it would take a week and would go via Faroes, indeed think there was more than one stop off, it certainly wasn't easy.

Have you thought of trying a travel agent or contacting Dick Phillips, Whitehead House, Nenthead, Alston, CA9 3PS to find details of ferries?
Travel agents don't just deal in package trips to the costas.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

Hi,

there's some good info on travelling to Iceland here: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/iceland/

essentially, it seems to be:
"Smyril line has just announced that the Norrona ferry will not sail to Norway or Scotland next year.
I just wanted to let you know if you are planning to use the ferry next summer.
It will sail to Hanstholm in Denmark, Torshavn in the Faroe Islands and to Seydisfjordur Iceland and thats it.
This will make the time on the boat shorter in some cases but it is a major setback if you are traveling from Norway or the UK."

I was planning a cycle trip in 2009, but am now probably going to head south instead.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Thanks for that info Dougie & the link - depressing but seems to confirm the change. I'll check it out later in the year though in case they change their mind. I'll give Dick Phillips a try too E - other people on the forum have recommended him, I'm sure he can give us useful info even if we do end up flying.
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

hi,

If you discover anything new can you post back here? Then I can put the info on the other site too.

Cheers
Doug
AMC

Post by AMC »

Of course - Some time in Jan if I get any useful info
Cheers
AM
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

Samskip have a weekly freight service from Immingham to Iceland. I doubt they would entertain passengers, but it might be a cheaper way of getting your bike and gear over the water.
backwinds forever.....
AMC

Post by AMC »

Well, after some enquiries no luck finding a ferry crossing. Samskip do indeed take luggage, & suggested that their 'rival' Eimskip would take passengers. However, Eimskip were firm that they wouldn't. So it looks like a trip to Rotterdam, Bergen or Denmark would be required, ok but time consuming & probably rather expensive on top of a ferry ticket. Never mind. Further suggestions welcome though!
pq

Post by pq »

I used the ferry from Scrabster to Iceland last summer.

The Lerwick bit is out of date - before they started calling at Scrabster they went there.

If they're no longer going to Scotland, you'll have to go via Norway or Denmark. I don't know about Denmark, but getting to Bergen from Aberdeen is simple, and you'll just need to change to the Smyril boat when you get there.

Last year Smyril had an agent in London.

Write-up of my trip:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Northatlanticdrift
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

The Smyril Line website is a bit confusing. One page suggests that the Scrabster port of call is included in 2009 and on another page it is omitted. not sure how "getting to Bergen from Aberdeen is simple" but it would only be simple if you forked out for a flight as there is no ferry as far as I know and if you did that you'd be as well flying straight to Iceland?
pq

Post by pq »

There are ferries to Bergen from the UK, and I'm pretty sure they go from Aberdeen but I don't have time to check the detail. At least that was the case when I was there in September. Of course the whole thing would be pointless if you flew to Bergen, but it's hard to believe you couldn't put some sort of boat based itinerary together, after all, there are lots of routes across the north sea.
Cyclepath

Post by Cyclepath »

Which ferry went from Aberdeen to Bergen last year? The Newcastle - Norway ferry has stopped, did not run in 2008.
pq

Post by pq »

As you can imagine, I didn't take much interest in the Bergen routes other than the one I used, and I'm not about to research them now.

I was aware before I left that there were route(s) from the UK to Bergen, and when I was on the docks there were signs up for them. My creaky memory says Aberdeen, but as I said to start with I may be wrong about that.

The boat wasn't actually there when I was so it is possible it had stopped running by then, but the signs were still up - I wouldn't know.

However, whether or not the Bergen routes still run, it wouldn't be so difficult to get to the Danish port Smyril line also serves. The OP could ride or catch a train from Holland.
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

DFDS seaways sail from Harwich to Esjberg in Denmark. Symirl Line sail from Esjberg to Iceland although dependent on when you want to go, you may have to go via Norway and the Faroe Islands.
Backwinds or in this case, calm waters forever....
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

This may help: http://www.seat61.com/Iceland.htm

I hope you get there - I travelled by bus round the country in 1990 and had a great time. Always wanted to go back with a bike... but have more or less given up flying. Iceland needs tourist money this year especially!