Touring tent

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patricktaylor

Touring tent

Post by patricktaylor »

I've read some of the recent threads (2008) on tents. They were helpful.

I'm looking for a two-person three-season lightweight tent for bicycle touring Denmark in May (initially) then elsewhere in Europe maybe. Not the frozen wastes of Norway though, and not winter camping. I'm not looking for a 'cheap tent' but one that will last, not leak or blow over, and is lightweight - about 2-3kg. £300 max. Examples:

Terra Nova Superlite Solar 2.2 (2.1kg)
Wild Country Duolite Tourer (2.9kg)

Two travellers, perhaps six panniers that will need to be kept dry in the tent - some of them, at least. Also, if possible, I would like to see the tent first, so it would be a shop in the Lancashire or Manchester area preferably - at least to view.

I'm used to camping but not touring on a bicycle (although I do cycle a lot).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
julk

Post by julk »

I have had good advice from Alpenstock, which is a shop with a physical presence not too far away from Manchester.
(Alpenstock, 35 St Petersgate, Stockport, SK1 1DH Tel: 0161 480 3660)

They stock a good range of tents from low to high priced.

Why not visit or give them a call.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Go the little extra and get a Hilleberg Nallo 2. It will be worth it.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
georgew

Post by georgew »

bikepacker wrote:Go the little extra and get a Hilleberg Nallo 2. It will be worth it.

+1
Can't do better.
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

I'm with georgew and bikepacker - We've been using a Hilleberg Nallo for the past three years - I feel a warm glow everytime we put it up. OK, so it costs a bit more - but the extra is no more than a couple of nights B&B.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Thanks. The Hilleberg Nallo 2 - nice tent, but is there a zip-down cover for the front awning? All the websites show it open.
syklist

Re: Touring tent

Post by syklist »

patricktaylor wrote:I've read some of the recent threads (2008) on tents. They were helpful.

I'm looking for a two-person three-season lightweight tent for bicycle touring Denmark in May (initially) then elsewhere in Europe maybe. Not the frozen wastes of Norway though, and not winter camping. I'm not looking for a 'cheap tent' but one that will last, not leak or blow over, and is lightweight - about 2-3kg. £300 max. Examples:

Another two tents above your budget (by a long way).

We've been using a Macpac Citadel for a few years 3.5kg but no longer available and last summer a Helsport Fjelheimen Camp 3 (3.2kg) . Both of these make comfortable two person tents with space for eight panniers plus barbags and space to get in and out. The Helsport's great feature is the pack volume and pole lengths. I will just go into an Ortlieb Front Roller pannier with the pannier closed properly. Both of these tents allow you to put up the outer tent first. Handy in the rain and without the inner tent put up enough space and comfort to be able to cook safely inside. The extra space is worth the extra weight.

Cheers
Stan
PS the Citadel withstood gales in Denmark 2006 and kept us dry. The Helsport didn't fall down last summer either although we only had one night of really high winds.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

Check out the Robert Saunders range of tents. I have used a Robert Saunders Space Packer Plus which cost me £210.00 ten years ago so the present prices appear reasonable today. I put the tent in a waterproof bag with my sleeping bag and insulation mat and clip it to my front pannier.

Very easy to put up and plenty of room at both bell ends. Also two exits. Weight from 1.9kg to 2.8kg. Packs down to 44 or 48 x 13 cm. Saunders also have seconds and slightly soiled ex-exhibition tents for sale and they offer a first class repair service on their products.
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

patricktaylor wrote:is there a zip-down cover for the front awning? All the websites show it open.

Yes there's a zip to close the front. There's also a wired hoop in the seam at the top that holds the shape of the entrance - just one of many "nice touches".
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Another vote in favour of Hilleberg. We have a Keron 4 GT for family use and it has been spectacularly convenient and reliable. They really are the best there is, I think, and they last a long time. I am afraid they are indeed expensive, but I will never get anything else again. I recenty bought two quite decent cheaper small tents for the children (about 200 pounds each), but the diference is large - too large to feel good about that purchase.
You may give some more thought on what Hilleberg model precisely, however. For almost the same money the Nallo range is lighter than the Nammatj, but not as strong, and not as well ventilated. For two people the 3 person models of both Nallo and Nammatj are far more comfortable and hardly heavier. We like the GT models for their extra luggage space and bad weather potential. So think carefully about your precise requirements.
Willem
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I doubt if you would comfortably fit six panniers in the vestibule of a standard Nallo but the Nallo GT would be plenty roomy enough. Someone on here recently pointed out that Amazon have them at a great price :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilleberg-Nallo ... B001B7O9TY
AndrewLynn

Post by AndrewLynn »

I bought a Vango Spirit 200+ last year, only used it a couple of times but seems ok so far. Fairly similar to the Nallo GT, a little heavier but about half the price. Not having seen a Hilleberg I can't comment on what you get for the extra money.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

julk wrote:... Alpenstock ... Why not visit or give them a call.

I phoned them. They were very helpful indeed. Going there next week (Stockport) to view some Hilleberg tents.

Many thanks for all the replies. Robert Saunders Space Packer Plus looks promising as well - they have a very good name. I'm not sure about Vango. I had an old Mark 4 in days gone by (an orange ridge tent eventually eaten by mice), but they seemed to go downmarket after that.
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

Noticed one of your bikes is a Ridgeback Panorama. In the past we have had posts asking about the bike for touring. How do you find it? You may want to start a new thread.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

megilleland wrote:Noticed one of your bikes is a Ridgeback Panorama. In the past we have had posts asking about the bike for touring. How do you find it? You may want to start a new thread.

I love it (2500 miles so far). And it's beautiful.

I do read those 'what touring bike' threads, but tend not to comment. It's all Dawes (for off the peg) on these forums and I've never ridden those so find it hard to know what to say. Plus I haven't yet toured on the Panorama so I'm a newbie in that regard.