Normandy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
peter236uk

Normandy

Post by peter236uk »

I am planning a cycle trip to visit the landing beaches also have good cycle around the area.
I am not sure should I do Portsmouth Cherbourg return Caen to Portsmouth or just do Ports Caen return Caen Portsmouth.
Any info or idea would be great.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I'd have thought if the beaches are your main objective then an A-to-B route down the coast would give you more beach per mile, so it depends how much time you have to fit stuff in and whether you want to see the inland bit (la Suisse Normande is nice if you fancy some hills but it's about 30 miles inland).

Worth considering going via le Havre if you want to save some money (particularly for the overnight crossing) because LD Lines are far better-priced for cyclists than Brittany Ferries are. Though the stretch out of le Havre to Honfleur isn't a particularly enthralling ride.

Hope you like apples :)
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

Cheers I think might like Calvados
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I am not that bothered about doing just beaches but would like to see some of the countryside as well.
If anyone has any ideas of routes would be great.
rotraxbill

Normandy

Post by rotraxbill »

We did this a few weeks back Southampton CTC , only there for a day though !
Ferry to Caen along canal see Pegasus bridge , breakfest in Caen onto Bayeux lunch ride to Arromanches nice ride along the coast back to ferry !
We did this in a day with two over night crossings from Portsmouth
As some one else said Le Harve is not alot of fun to cycle out from
Plenty of cafes along the way, hope you have a good time
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

For the last two years I have done long weekend tours, first year in Normandy and last year in Brittany, from one base.

It can be done and certainly means less setting up and taking down of the tent but you tend to see only half the journey or at least half the countryside because half of the journey is getting back to base either by the same route or something similar.

So I agree with the A to B view.

In fact I shall be doing Cherbourg to Caen this August.

Brian
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

I checked this out in some detail as we were planning to do this area this year too (have since deferred for personal reasons). I worked out that best combination for us was:

1. Overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen
2. 3-4 days investigating the Calvados region (can't miss out on apple brandy!)
3. 3-4 days visiting the five beaches and related places of interest
4. Fast-ferry from Cherbourg to Poole (rather than back to Portsmouth - connecting train services were better for us at Poole, surprisingly)
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

try this website for Calvados info and some routes worth trying:

http://www.calvados-tourisme.info/EN/

and the tourist routes section of the site at

http://www.calvados-tourisme.info/loisirs/route_gb.php

the second link gives you access to expanded info on different areas of interest