Insurance for 4 month European cycling tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
N_Wilson

Insurance for 4 month European cycling tour?

Postby N_Wilson » 17 Feb 2009, 9:43am

Hi,
I am planning on touring around Europe for 4 months on my bicycle. I am trying to get some insurance for my bike and belongings however most insurance schemes won't cover for trips of longer than about 6 weeks.
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions?
Nikki

tom_u

Postby tom_u » 17 Feb 2009, 2:26pm

Don't bother. Insurance is the biggest scam around. Even if you do manage to get a policy for that sort of trip then the excess is likely to make it very expensive to claim. When I cycled for two months across europe, I took a health card (E111 replacement) and used travellers cheques for the bulk of my money as these are covered whatever happens. My bike was stolen on the return journey from Istanbul (on the Bucharest - Vienna train in the middle of the night) so I lost £700 worth of bike which was annoying, but then some stuff you keep for a long time and some stuff you don't.

Cyclefrance

Postby Cyclefrance » 17 Feb 2009, 4:40pm

Ifyou have house contents insurance you can usually get an extension to cover bicycles which will include travel abroad. I don't have any experience of cover for long stays away, but at the end of the day it's all down to an underwriter assessing the risk and calculating an appropriate premium for same. I wouldn't have thought that would be too much of an effort for an insurance company to make if they already have a residential property covered.

megilleland

Postby megilleland » 17 Feb 2009, 8:52pm

Some past comments about insurance here:

loafer

Postby loafer » 23 Feb 2009, 10:10pm

hi ..nikki poss give these a try.. http://www.citybond.co.uk/introwhoweare.jsp

stephenjubb

Postby stephenjubb » 24 Feb 2009, 2:37pm

£62 approx with snowcard for 4 months (max age 45). read all terms and conditions to ensure they are suitable.

mackedr

BMC

Postby mackedr » 24 Feb 2009, 10:24pm

Hi, The BMC (British Mountaineering Council) sells insurance to members. Standard annual offering covers 91 day trips for about £100. Extended trips slightly more than double the cost. Cheapest way to be a member is to join a local hill club. thebmc.co.uk Do note that quite a lot of 'normal' travel insurance excludes using a bike for travel.