Organized tours Vietnam/Cambodia or Ethiopia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
p_pitstop

Organized tours Vietnam/Cambodia or Ethiopia

Post by p_pitstop »

We have cycle camped quite a bit around Europe but are thinking of going farther afield this year. As its more unknown territory we are thinking of joining an organised tour.
Can anyone recommend tour companies for touring Vietnam, Cambodia or Ethiopia ? We are quite happy to rough it, carry our own luggage and do around 50 miles a day. We tour on a tandem and I prefer roads to off road. Charity rides are out as we are too lazy to raise money and it does not feel right for something we would do and enjoy anyway. We know of Red Spokes - are there any others you can recommend that are not too pricey ?

Thanks
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Red Spokes was the one I was to suggest before I finished reading your full note. I met Durmot of Red Spokes whilst I was backpacking around Vietnam and he was ready to meet a tour. We spoke for a bit and I keep meaning to maybe do a tour with them but not had the chance.

Other than Red Spokes, Explore and Exodus look good and do such tours - though not sure if they are pricey? I've been with both companies on non-cycling holidays and they have been excellent.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I did a trip with Red Spokes to Vietnam a couple of years ago. Excellently organised and I would recommend talking with Dermot - he will answer any queries you have. He is experienced, tough and very flexible so sorts problems out before they become a problem.
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

I've toured Ethiopia by motorbike. You need to be reasonably robust to cycle there I would have thought, though I am guessing you are by thinking of it. Kids chucking stones is one thing that puts a downer on peoples experiences there. but, if you can deal with that (it's not _that_ serious, just a pain after a long day) the scenery is great and there's some fascinating sites to see.

depending on the time you are there it can be wet and quite cold. No mozzies though (around Addis and the north), as it's too high up.

I'm not sure you would need a tour company there, everything's pretty available. and there are only so many roads (ie, one north and one south, kind of thing).
Will

Post by Will »

I've done a couple of cycling trips with Exodus, the last one in January which was the Cycle Indochina & Angkor Wat' trip: http://www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/moc.html?

Exodus cycling holidays are very well organised, with excellent support. Sometimes there is some travelling by bus due to the large distances that the trips cover (the trip notes give you an idea of how much cycling there is). There are also some non-cycling days when you do some site-seeing.

On Exodus cycling holidays you ride in a group, though it can be spread out over several miles, with a guide at the front and the support vehicle at the rear. There isn't scope for going off and doing your own thing.

Will
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Ethiopia or Cambodia/Vietnam is a very odd dichotomy.

When you say you prefer road to off-road, I presume you mean you like your roads to be tarred. So don't bother going to Ethiopia then, as you can't get very far on tarred roads. And the untarred roads are very rough. In fact so are many of the tarred roads, the kind you try to find some beaten earth alongside because it might be smoother. The other problem with Ethiopia (aside from those other posters mention) is that they have been building new roads, but they aren't shown on maps.

I can't see Exodus, etc, arranging cycling tours to Ethiopia. But you do see tours on the CTC list occasionally. But generally they have sought to avoid camping, which means rather long days, eg, up to 120 km/day.

If you want to go to Africa and cycle on paved roads, then Morocco, Tunisia and South Africa have a relatively high density of them by continental standards.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

My one and never again experience with Exodus was an unhappy one due to the passenger mix and age gap...Unless you are teens/early twenties its a risk and once they have your money its gone....You see what can happen on Big brother .
p_pitstop

Post by p_pitstop »

OK it sounds like Ethiopia is out due to lack of decent roads and stone throwing kids.

I'll find out some more about Red Spokes and Exodus tours. Thanks......
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

One of the former directors of Exodus, before it was bought out by one of the big tour groups, is a regular acquaintance of mine. He tells me it lacks the enthusiasm these days, and is more focused on profit than before. He would say that, but it is hardly surprising, and he had a number of convincing anecdotes to back his point of view.

I've been on a number of Exodus trekking holidays, though the last time was 9 years ago now, before they were bought up. I wouldn't go on one of the more generic sight-seeing/activity holidays, nor their cycling holidays as I don't want the kind of tour where they (at least offer to) drive you up the hill and you cycle down the other side. I did once go on an Explore holiday, which at the time was a more commercial group, and, it was a lot worse than Exodus. I've had some great holidays with Exodus, but as JC4LABS implies, you are somewhat at the mercy of who your travelling companions turn out to be, especially if you entertain any hopes in that regard. The last Exodus holiday I did was really great precisely because of because of the people. But others I've been on were a little more ill-humoured on occasion because of cliques forming, etc. On trekking holidays, it was been unusual for there to be anyone under the age of 30, and there are plenty of clients in their 50s or so. But I think there is a younger clientele on certain other kinds of tour.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

Makes you wonder what you paying for with companies like these..I remember their price was...extra for flights..A local payment but God knows what that was for...( to cover the wages to the local guide????)..extra for a food kitty ,cook yourself meals and then just roughing it in name of "experience "in tents. Seems a good way of making mega bucks for so little.....
pq

Post by pq »

I was about to suggest that from that shortlist you'd only need a tour company for Ethiopia, but it sounds like you've decided against that anyway.

SE Asia is such an easy place to deal with there's no real need for a tour company - you'll be paying them a lot of money for something you could easily do yourself - and have fun doing. That'e especially true for someone who's already got quite a bit of experience bike touring. All you'd get for your money in SE Asia is a sense of security before you go.

For the most part you'll find great food, friendly people and cheap accommodation everywhere you go and a culture which is well used to dealing with foreigners.

You'd need to research your route. Cambodia has some truly diabolical dirt roads but is modernising them fast so it's perfectly possible to tour there and never stray from tarmac, at least not much. Laos has very quiet roads and very friendly people. Like Cambodia it has some dirt roads but a bit of research will keep you off them. Vietnam is more developed so it's easy to stick to good roads - the biggest problem for me was the shape of the country - it's long and thin which means there's no alternative to highway1 in some places. Having said that there are plenty of places to ride and you can leapfrog bit by slinging your bike on a train.

Have a look at mr pumpy (google it). Very out of date now but it's the best source of cyclists' info I've ever come across. Crazyguyonabike has lots of tour journals for the region, and the trento bike pages link to more.
V4281051

Tour companies..Thailand..

Post by V4281051 »

Just take yourself there ,buy some maps and save yourself a fortune..The roads are safe out of the cities..take the quiet roads.If not then most highways have a moped lane which is fine to cycle in..You can put your bike on most local buses and trains..you can hire a tuk tuk or taxi..especially in towns to find you a hotel..Thai people will help you everyway they can..You will find no jobsworths..You will find hotels or guest houses in every town..If not someone will put you up..
You will pay a fortune for hotels with a tour company..I have seen single room supplements for a 14 day tour £300 ...You can live in most hotels in Thailand for that price..You can live well on Ten pounds a day to include food and hotel..
Just do it..Any help..Just ask