Dumfries and Galloway: touring ideas?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
micksimm

Dumfries and Galloway: touring ideas?

Post by micksimm »

We are planning to tour in Scotland this year and D&G looks good. Are there any good sources of touring material that anybody could recommend? I seem to remember that some years ago CTC Birthday Rides was in D&G.
thanks
Mick
julk

Re: Dumfries and Galloway: touring ideas?

Post by julk »

Try this link for KM rides 22-25 of May.
It is a 4 or 5 day event based at Barnsoul about 8 miles west of Dumfries.
RaasayWarden

Post by RaasayWarden »

start here: www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk

great cycling - keep off A75 and A76!
Cavemud

Post by Cavemud »

Hi there

In case it helps, there are a number of mountain biking venues in this area called the Seven Stanes. You obviously won't be interested in these but many of the sites have associated shower/toilet facilities, accomodation and bike shops.

It might be usefull to bear this in mind when planning.
iaincullen

Post by iaincullen »

I've done a couple of short tours in this area. Basically as already said if you avoid the A75 A76 and A77 you won't go far wrong. Get a Ordnance survey 1:250000 map and choose your own routes.

My last tour starting there there was a coast to coast from Stranraer to Dunbar using a mixture of B and C roads and a few tracks. One of the highlights was the off road section from Glen Trool to Clatteringshaws Loch. I was on a MTB but a tourer with 32 or 35mm tyres would cope OK. It's forestry tracks all the way. Superb scenery and I saw only a handful of people.

Loch Dee
Loch Dee

Map at
http://cycling.visitscotland.com/images ... aps/322656

The section I used as a through route is described as part of a circular route which might be worth doing.

http://cycling.visitscotland.com/find_r ... shaws_loch

In general though in the area if you get off the A roads the traffic is almost non existent, certainly less than the highlands.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

This map shows Sustrans and National Cycle Network routes

www.dumgal.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1733&p=0

A bike does more miles to the banana than a porsche.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Howzabout a theme?

The Wicker Man (Great British Horror Film) was filmed around here.

The sitesmake an interesting set of points to tour between.

Alternatively there is also the Lochs and Glens (South) or the "Tour of Britain" has repeatedly visited this area and can provide routes.

Finally there are too many historical sites to mention but BBargrennanis famous for its Neolithic tombs as an example, as well as the hospitable "House o' the Hill" Hotel
glueman

Post by glueman »

Lovely part of the world for cycletouring, done some on solo and tandem. Intend to go back one day soon.
Cyclepath

Post by Cyclepath »

The routes from the Birthday Rides 2006 can be viewed on the CTC Scotland web page http://www.ctcscotland.org.uk/br2006/.

Also the Sustrans map "NCN Lochs & Glens South" has a lot of information and is more useful that the usual Sustrans strip maps. Available from http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/products/5064-ncn-lochs--glens-south and is half-price at £3.49 until 31 March 2009.