Stimulating your appetite?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
EdinburghFixed

Stimulating your appetite?

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I wonder whether people have any tips for getting enough food down while on the move?

Normally I don't ride far enough for this to matter but on Saturday I did 85 miles to my parents and back and struggled noticeably at the end, into a stiff headwind. Perhaps I am unusual in that once I start riding, I find my appetite suppressed and loose interest in whatever I have brought along (in this case, bananas, malt loaf and flapjack). However with my longest day on LEJOG double that distance I know I need to be more careful to avoid a serious 'bonk'.

Are there better and worse times to eat in terms of motivation? Should I just have a target to get X amount of food down by mile Y whatever I feel like? Is it best to eat early and often to keep the stomach working, even though I've just finished breakfast, etc. etc.

Thanks for any views...
thirdcrank

Re: Stimulating your appetite?

Post by thirdcrank »

I've said before that half the thing with cycling any distance is dealing with what goes on inside your head. I've certainly developed a loathing for bananas part way though a long ride and I know from reading other riders' accounts that they've had cravings and unexplained dislikes. I used to like the Jordans cereal bars, then they went and changed the recipe to something I found unpleasant.

You could try getting the fuel down in some sort of drink, either specific branded energy potions or something to your own formula.

In the end, you know the importance of getting something down, don't dwell on it or it can get out of all proportion on a longer ride.

(If you get the CTC mag, there is some good advice in the article by Dan Farrell in the current edition.)
Si

Post by Si »

Little and often works for me. It means that food gets absorbed at a constant rate, and it is also easier to do (at least for me) when your appetite is on the wane because you are not trying to force down large amounts of food at once.

I try to nibble every 15 miles or hour, depending on what comes first.

I use stuff like dried fruit, trail mix, chopped up bits of low-fat energy cake (Mrs Si's speciality), bits of Geo-Bar, etc basically something that you like the taste of and that will store through the day in little does without turning to mush in your bag or pocket.

An energy drink also helps but can be expensive: keep your powders in little sachets of cling film so that you are ready to mix the right amounts as you refill your bottles during the day - but don't put your self in a situation where the police might want to search your panniers! However, the problem with energy drinks is that they can take some getting used to (I've dropped out of an expensive enduro race before now due to stomach cramps from changing energy drink too soon before the race) so start with weak mixtures and work up to full strength over time.

Having said all of that, when I did LEJOG (on a much less impressive schedule than yours - although I hadn't been riding for more than a year after a break of many years so it was still a serious physical challenge) I found that after the first couple of days, although I had some feelings of roughness in the stomach for the first 10 to 20 miles of each day, after than I just ate everything in sight and then went back for seconds.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

My approach is little-and-often with chocolate (unless it's too hot to keep it from melting in which case sugary muesli bars). And then a big slap up lunch mid-ride with a nice excuse to sit with a pint whilst digesting - yes, not ideal for the metabolism but it works for me.

I know fruit is better for you but frankly I find it better to actually consume calories in tasty form, than leave dried fruit and nuts uneaten in a sweaty bag. Vitamins and other elemental healthiness can be shovelled in at breakfast and tea IMO :)
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

From experience - cycle-touring although only up to 50miles a day and adventure racing up to 10hours a day - I don't eat unless I feel hungry.
I have found that drinking lucozade dilated half-and-half with water gives me all the energy I need and being an isotonic helps replace lost salts from sweating. Any other 'energy' drink would work the same or you could make your own up by adding mix of salt and sugar to water (I forget the recommended amount) - I drink diluted lucozade because I like it that way. Others may prefer something slightly different, but the theory is the same.
When cycling in Cuba, I would buy a couple of litres of fresh fruit juice each day and drink it diluted with water again and found this to work well as an alternative to isotonic drinks. I then made sure I had salt with my evening dinner.
I always carry snack/energy bars/ dried fruit (I'm have a weakness for Cadbury's brunch bars and dried apricots!) when racing and also a sandwich/fruit if touring in case I get hungry and don't think I'll be able to easily buy food en route.

Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is that you can get plenty of calories/energy in liquid form, which is much easier to take on when exercising. Then as long as you have a good evening meal you should be fine.
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Amazing how instantaneous the 'refuelling' effect is; halfway up (even quite a small) hill, even if you don't feel hungry, you can realise 'I'm not going to get to the top of this without a calorie intake'. Stop for a quick snack, and by the time you're pedalling again, it's worked.
vernon

Post by vernon »

nirakaro wrote:Amazing how instantaneous the 'refuelling' effect is; halfway up (even quite a small) hill, even if you don't feel hungry, you can realise 'I'm not going to get to the top of this without a calorie intake'. Stop for a quick snack, and by the time you're pedalling again, it's worked.

Try just stopping without the snack. The effect is the same.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Power Bar energy gels from my (marathon running) experience. Two is usually enough for that, and they are easy to carry.
wilbo

Post by wilbo »

I've been told to eat every 2 hours, consuming 30 calories for every mile you've done in that 2 hours. So if you average 13mph, you need to eat 780 calories every 2 hours. This sounds loads to me. Any thoughts?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mattie wrote:Power Bar energy gels from my (marathon running) experience. Two is usually enough for that, and they are easy to carry.

Sure it's not all in the mind? I need around 4000 calories to run a marathon for my mass, difficult to see how 200 calories from whatever source is going to do any good.
(Plus I find it annoying to see the roads and bushes full of energy gel wrappers)

Cycling tends to be less intense and longer than running, I reckon little and often of whatever you fancy for a long cycle. Running I'm happy with just water.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

wilbo wrote:I've been told to eat every 2 hours, consuming 30 calories for every mile you've done in that 2 hours. So if you average 13mph, you need to eat 780 calories every 2 hours. This sounds loads to me. Any thoughts?

For a 100 mile day it comes out at 3,000 calories - that doesn't sound too unreasonable I think?

It does mean effectively eating your entire daily intake of food, during the ride (plus again before/after the ride) :shock:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The big thing to understand is that the curve on the blood sugar graph just drops steadily as you ride a bike. A couple of hours struggling in hilly terrain can make it drop that bit quicker. Once the curve drops through the critical line the effect is quite dramatic which is why the terminology implies a sudden hit.

It's hardly an incurable condition, anything with sugar in will promote a pretty quick cure (there are all sorts of theories about the value of different foods here) but it's something best avoided. Most regular cyclists experience it at least once in their lifetime, and once you know what to look out for you can anticipate it.

The big thing is, be aware of it and have plenty to eat. Avoid dehydration as well. I'd reiterate, don't let these things play on your mind. If you are doing several long days cycling on your own, there will be plenty of other things to discourage you a long day into the wind in rain, etc. You've just got to make things like eating simple - don't over complicate it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

kwackers wrote:
Mattie wrote:Power Bar energy gels from my (marathon running) experience. Two is usually enough for that, and they are easy to carry.

Sure it's not all in the mind? I need around 4000 calories to run a marathon for my mass, difficult to see how 200 calories from whatever source is going to do any good.
(Plus I find it annoying to see the roads and bushes full of energy gel wrappers)

Cycling tends to be less intense and longer than running, I reckon little and often of whatever you fancy for a long cycle. Running I'm happy with just water.

I thought the problem was running out of energy on a ride for which energy gels are a very good solution. Your muscles and liver already have a store of Glycogen energy and it is when these energy sources run out that you bonk or hit the wall. I have run many marathons including New York, Chicago, Berlin, Dubai and Paris (four times).

I can reccommend a book SPORTS NUTRITION FOR ENDURANCE ATHLETES - by Monique Ryan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

EdinburghFixed wrote:For a 100 mile day it comes out at 3,000 calories - that doesn't sound too unreasonable I think?

Depends on the terrain.

106 miles Cheddar to home last year consumed 5752 cals. Most of the route was flatish - Somerset and down the Old A38 to Exeter, then Old A30.

A recent ride up into Mid Devon - no load, but very hilly - 5040 cals - only 65 miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
wilbo

Post by wilbo »

Mick F wrote:
EdinburghFixed wrote:For a 100 mile day it comes out at 3,000 calories - that doesn't sound too unreasonable I think?

Depends on the terrain.

106 miles Cheddar to home last year consumed 5752 cals. Most of the route was flatish - Somerset and down the Old A38 to Exeter, then Old A30.

A recent ride up into Mid Devon - no load, but very hilly - 5040 cals - only 65 miles.

What do you use out of interest to get these numbers?