Parking in Oban

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
numbnut

Parking in Oban

Post by numbnut »

Does anyone have any recommendations about parking in Oban. We are doing an Islands tour at the end of this month and need to park the car for 10 days or so somewhere where it will still be in one piece when we get back.

Thanks

N
HarryD

Re: Parking in Oban

Post by HarryD »

Give the ferry people a ring. They usually have some parking available.

Harry D
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

There's a car park next to Tesco (not the actual Tesco car park) where you can leave the car for a long stay, or at least you used to be able to, its about four years since I last used it. Never had any security problems there.
dnr

Post by dnr »

Car park at Atlantis leisure is popular with tourer vans etc. Stoddarts offer covered parking at a price. On street parking in non meter areas would be found fairly easily. Although risk is never zero, Oban is not a hotspot for vandals or car thiefs.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

While I've not actually used Oban hostel, I have certainly, in the past, stayed at a hostel the night before travelling onwards and then said pretty please re leaving the car at the hostel for the duration of the time. Never had a problem securing parking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
numbnut

Post by numbnut »

My thanks to you all for your help

N
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Forget the car park by Tescos - now very restricted. The garage option is apparrently secure but when we went (2007) it did not open on a Sunday and not early enough in the morning for us to catch the ferry. So we used the car park by the leisure centre. Only problem was a flat battery when we got back because of the electronics making a drain over a long period of time.
chuggalong

Post by chuggalong »

The last time I was in Oban was about 3 years ago. The local tourist office, at that time, had a local attractions booklet for free issue.
Amongst the adverts were at least two local premises (I think they were garages) offering long term parking. I can't remember
the cost but I don't think it was too expensive to have your car left in a secure compound.