London to Paris Help?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Charlie_Charlie_81

London to Paris Help?

Postby Charlie_Charlie_81 » 23 Apr 2009, 5:20pm

Hello this is my first post on here,
In July I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride with a friend. This is the first time we have done it but we are doing on our own without a organisation to organise us, (we though it might be more interseting but will probably mean that we will get lost more.)

Can any surgest a good route for us to take via Dover and if they can recomend any accomodation on route which is cycle friendly.

Thanks for your time

Charlie

rickangus

Re: London to Paris Help?

Postby rickangus » 23 Apr 2009, 9:32pm

Charlie,

How important is it for you to go via Dover? A lot of poeple go via Newhaven/Dieppe as there is a cycle path from Dieppe that goes quite some way to Paris (although I found it a bit boring...)

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 23 Apr 2009, 9:59pm

Have to admit I'd take the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing. It's inexpensive, new ships and towns on both sides of the channel are pleasant/compact and motorway free. In terms of a route due south to Rouen, then following the Seine valley into Paris is the obvious one. Personally I wouldn't plan a route in detail - merely use the minor roads heading approximately in the right direction, with whatever diversions are worthwhile on the way

jake

Postby jake » 24 Apr 2009, 5:43pm

I've done the Dieppe to Paris route twice and would also recommend it. If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you the route we took.

Fred Ivory

Postby Fred Ivory » 30 Apr 2009, 8:23pm

Hi there, I read something simalar, a guy called Andy Black, well Dieppe, you can go that way, but I always go Calais, the thing is getting out of Calais and on a good road to Guines, D127, Now when you come through the customs control in the port,
you will see through the fence a road going west, (back on its self) U turn, there is a cycle path get on it and head down to the roundabout, take the second exit going south over the railway lines and up to the main road (Lidl on the corner)into the old town, 2 sets of traffic light second set turn left along the canal (cycle path) cross over at the second junction, so you've gone from east bank to west, this brings you out onto the D127 to Guines. From there you have so many choices, myself I would stay on the D127 to Desvres, a bit tricky round Le West, but just keep on D127 its well marked, Desvres you could head for Hesdin, D343 and D108, then Frevent, then Doullens, by then you should be getting the hang of French traffic sense, N25 to Amiens if you had enough you can get the train to Paris Garda Nord, no joking, D11 to Beavais, then D927, you are nearly there, just stay away from St.Denis, its ok, but you never know, try to get on the Seine at Herblay, again the river meanders, so like Henry V, did before Azincourt (Agincourt 1415) slice the bend off, get the good ground in front of your opponents, get yourself a good Michelin Map, try and get the old ones they are much better, 236 and 237, if you read them carefully they are full of information, ask the first German Panzer Divison, World War 11, the guy who made the maps for Michelin, was nearly done for treason after the war, they are good, landmarks, campsites, stadiums, swimming pools, the lot, hills as well < the going up, > the coming down you see, and there are some hills, have a good trip, what ever you do, enjoy, its great cycling in France, Fred

thebigfella001

Postby thebigfella001 » 5 May 2009, 9:01pm

Hi Charlie,

I will also be doing the same journey in July/August sometime with a friend for charity. We have most things sorted apart from the route from Calais to Paris. Have you decided the route your going to take?

Thanks,

Adam

Cyclefrance

Postby Cyclefrance » 26 May 2009, 1:22pm

Hi - maybe I'm a bit late here, but have a look at the route we did last year at http://www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2008 - you can email me from the site if you have any questions.

groberts

Postby groberts » 26 May 2009, 4:43pm

I'm just back from the ride via Dieppe using the CTC Route-1, which is about 140 miles from Dieppe. It has the advantage of taking in the excellent Avenue Verte cycleway just outsdie Dieppe for abot 30 miles and the equallly excellent Ourcq Canal of 15 miles that takes you straight into the centre of Paris. You can take the train or ride to Newhaven to getthe ferry, which is also a nice ride. Let me know if you want any further info. Have fun - I did.

james1969

Postby james1969 » 13 Apr 2010, 3:43pm

Hello, Myself and three friends are cycling from London to Paris via Dieppe for charity and I need a route planner on the French side, does anyone have a good one they could email me? James

mbailey

Postby mbailey » 13 Apr 2010, 7:04pm

I am also planning at London 2 Paris (via newhaven) at the start of July with some friends.

We've decided to do it in 24 hours, not sure why, but it seemed a good idea the time!

Leave London 4pm
Approx 60 miles London to Newhaven
Ferry at 10.30pm
Arrive in Dieppe at 2.30am
Approx 130 miles Dieppe to Paris.

Attempt to arrive in Paris before 5pm

I'm also interested in route suggestions from Dieppe to Paris.

We will be riding road bikes, so I wanted to check that the Avenue Verte cycleway and Ourcq Canal are both solid tarmac/concrete paths and not stone paths?

Many thanks, Matthew
Last edited by mbailey on 13 Apr 2010, 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

groberts

Postby groberts » 13 Apr 2010, 7:44pm

The AV and Canal are beautifully surfaced, makes our UK roads look like tracks; which of course they are becoming. Probably a typo but if you catch the ferry from Newhaven don't be surprised if you don't get off in Calais, it goes to Dieppe!

mbailey

Postby mbailey » 13 Apr 2010, 8:39pm

groberts wrote:The AV and Canal are beautifully surfaced, makes our UK roads look like tracks; which of course they are becoming. Probably a typo but if you catch the ferry from Newhaven don't be surprised if you don't get off in Calais, it goes to Dieppe!

Ok great - thats really good to know.

yes i typo - I meant london-newhaven-dieppe-paris. :-)