Ferry to Denmark

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Romeo Whisky

Ferry to Denmark

Post by Romeo Whisky »

I thought there was a ferry from Newcastle to Denmark, but I can now find no information about it. Anyone know if the route has been terminated and if anyone is talking about running it again?
tom_u

Re: Ferry to Denmark

Post by tom_u »

Romeo Whisky

Post by Romeo Whisky »

Thanks Tam. I am a bit further North than you though. Not much further to Esbjerg than it is to Harwich. I really need a departure from further North for it to be practical, but unfortunately its not looking good :cry:
V4281051

Post by V4281051 »

I believe you can go from Immingham on the ship that brings the Danish Bacon..Not sure how to find out about it..Used to be quite well known in the Grimsby area..You could try phoning DFDS or Tor line in Immingham..Sorry cant be more helpful..
Dean

Post by Dean »

I think it's possible to travel Aberdeen-Lerwick-Faroe Islands-Denmark. That's three ferries.

Alternatively, a ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and an overnight train to Copenhagen. check out The Man in Seat 61 - the website is full of excellent information.

It might be easier to get a sleeper train Edinburgh-London, then take the ferry from Harwich.

Edit: I don't think there has been a recent service from Newcastle to Denmark, by the way. You may be thinking of the fabled Newcastle to Norway ferry which DFDS cancelled in October, possibly because the Scandos stopped doing their shopping at the Metro Centre.

Getting a ride on a commercial vessel is a brilliant idea - I imagine it would be a lot more hassle, though.
pal

Post by pal »

Immingham - Esbjerg: http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/ ... assengers/

Boat to Amsterdam and then train up to Copenhagen works well too, though: the CityNightLine train has lots of space for bikes.
Cyclepath

Post by Cyclepath »

No ferry now from Scotland (Scrabster or Lerwick) to Faroes. You must travel via Denmark. Ferry from Newcastle to Norway was axed few years ago.
Romeo Whisky

Post by Romeo Whisky »

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I used to post on CTC forumsome time ago, and I have to say it seems a much better place to be now! Anyone know what the city night line attitude to tandems is? We will have two solo's and a kiddy back tandem.
pal

Post by pal »

It seems I spoke too soon: according to this page (http://www.citynightline.ch/nachtzugrei ... ahme.shtml) the Amsterdam-Copenhagen route now has only 8 bike places, and won't take tandems. Curses. It might be worth calling Deutsche Bahn and checking whether that information's reliable, though (the composition of those trains changes quite a lot depending on the season and how busy the route is), and also asking how strictly they'll enforce a no-tandem rule (The phone number at the top of that page -- +49 1805 151415 -- usually has someone English-speaking at the other end of it, if necessary; the DB's UK booking office isn't bad on bike-related questions either (my experience is that you often get a more sensible answer by email than by phone, though -- no idea why...))
HP Velo Fan

Post by HP Velo Fan »

I had a look into TOR Line freight boats back to Immingham from Norway and they are VERY expensive. It would have cost my brother and me with 2 bike about £550 one way!!! :shock: The other routes might be cheaper but I doubt it.
epa611

Post by epa611 »

No Ferry from Scotland to Denmark, but there is a Ryanair flight from Prestwick to Gothenberg. From Gothenberg, follow the Ginsladen Trail 200km south to Helsingborg and take the 15 min ferry to Helsongor in Denmark
Tony

Post by Tony »

I flew back from Billund to Gatwick as the ferry was extortionate (£41 versus £255, one-way). Billund is a great airport with good cycle access and right in the middle of Denmark. I know there are flights from Newcastle.
syklist

Post by syklist »

pal wrote:Immingham - Esbjerg: http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/ ... assengers/

Boat to Amsterdam and then train up to Copenhagen works well too, though: the CityNightLine train has lots of space for bikes.

The last time we took that night train to Copenhagen it went straight through from Utrecht (train starts in Amsterdam). You used to have to change in Duisburg at eleven at night. The train gets into Copenhagen at a very reasonable time the following morning (10am). You can check schedules via the German Railways site. The two person cabins are great.
Regards
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
johnwhwatt

Post by johnwhwatt »

Hello folks,
As a follow on from the somewhat older conversation about taking the bike on a ferry from Immingham to Esbjerg, I understand from DFDS that it is possible to book ( and I hope to use up these dratted Avios/airmiles credits). However, priority is always given to the freight passengers understandably. One can check 24 hours beforehand for confirmation of a berth. I was just wondering how booked up in practice the berths tend to be, if anyone has anymore detail on this.
Harwich is a long drag from West Lancs and means going through London.

Regards,

John Watt
Ormskirk