Security...with a one man tent.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dudley Manlove

Re: Security...with a one man tent.

Post by Dudley Manlove »

Ron wrote:It will be just reward for your lawbreaking if your bike gets stolen.

Yeah, spending one night quietly camping in the corner of some field you really deserve to have your 500, 1000 pound, whatever, pride and joy nicked.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I pass a tent pole through a wheel. If you can get the wheel between the tabs on the inner and the outer then so much the better.
meic

Post by meic »

If I woke up and found somebody camping in my garden, I would wait until they woke up and offer them breakfast and a cup of tea.

I did actually find somebody sleeping in a poncho in my back garden in the pouring rain, I had seen him in the neighbourhood and wondered what he was up to, I woke him up and he got scared and didnt quite believe all I wanted to do was get him somewhere more comfortable indoors, rather than him catching hypothermia.
He had got drunk and his friend had driven off without him.
Yma o Hyd
bms

Post by bms »

My biggest security concern is someone running off with my panniers from a locked up bike whilst I'm in a cafe/museum or exploring on foot. I suppose by putting all your high value or important stuff in a handlebar bag that stays with you means that should any theft occur, its not going to be a complete disaster but it still plays on my mind.

Is this an overreaction or do people generally take precautions by using something like this to feed through anything removable?
http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/091629/ ... ute=167536
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I only do solo camping and I just lock my bike up to a nearby tree. I also have the MKS quick release pedals which remove in seconds. No pedals no stealing (I hope)
To be honest though, whilst there is high bike crime in Amsterdam, generally bike crime in the countryside in Europe is very low mainly because it is so empty.
I've never had a problem, ever. Just take the normal security you would in the UK and enjoy your trip.
John
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Thankfully I've never had any issue with theft in tours of Europe. Normally I take a standard D lock or fat cable lock. Last year however I 'downgraded' to a very thin cable lock with alarm in an effort to save weight:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Automotive-Products/Storage-Workstations/Lock-Alarm-System-1.5mtr-Cable/306541/kw/89-6129

Did the job as well as the heavier locks and added the peace of mind of being able to hear if the bike was tampered with (the alarm is activated by movement or cutting).