Digital mapping, GPS, route planning and recording, etc

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
amaferanga

Re: Digital mapping, GPS, route planning and recording, etc

Post by amaferanga »

The Garmin Communicator Plugin API will read tracks, routes and waypoints from supported recreational, fitness and navigation devices - that is, read the GPS device in a browser, or on my PC... I'm not sure. I don't know if this unit can transmit (I presume it can only receive).

You plug the GPS into your PC then use one of numerous programmes to transfer tracks to and from the device i.e. it transmits and receives. How else would you upload your track log from a ride if it didn't transmit?
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Sorry - I meant transmit from the GPS device to a website in realtime when I'm out on a trip, but now I see (I think) that the Garmin Communicator Plugin API works only on my PC. At first I was thinking I could somehow track progress online instead of uploading later from a computer.

Incidentally, I ordered the GPS on Saturday afternoon on Amazon with standard shipping, and this morning (Sunday) received an email informing me it's been shipped today (via DHL). I doubt if it can actually have been shipped on a Sunday - order processed probably, but not shipped.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I got an Edge recently after ages humming and hawing, and I'm pleased to say that I've even managed to navigate up Munros with it, using the OpenStreetMap mapping.

It's not OS, but it's close enough contour-wise to easily identify features and where it is best to ascend/descend. And of course, it provides an instant 6 figure British grid reference which you can use with a paper OS map to pinpoint your location (my girlfriend insisted we took a paper map too!). Of course, coverage depends on where OSM has been done, so the footpath to the top of a mountain may be on there, but the tarmaced estate road our holiday cottage was on, had been omitted!

For riding on road, it's certainly enough. Although I should note, I haven't tried to use it with a pre-made route to follow - which was the bulk of your original question!

(see below for a photo of my Edge's screen, showing part of our Ben Avon mission on Friday (you can see I've laid a GPS marker down where the bikes are hidden in the heather, in case our camo was too good!)

The ideal would be scrolling OS maps (1:25k, 1:50k etc. all stored on the device) and I'm sure if you're willing to pay enough, that can be done. But considering that OSM is free, I'm quite happy with this... I can even update the map if I miss a landmark that would have shown on OS :)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

After further reading, it seems I can view my GPS location on the web (eg: my website). Here's a screenshot image of a test from the Garmin website - so it must be doable (the image shows how my realtime location appears in Google Maps - in this instance I'm just sat in my house with the GPS turned on).

my-garmin.jpg
I've downloaded the Garmin Communicator Plugin API, but what do I do with it?

I have my Site Key from Garmin and pasted the sample JavaScript into my web page but nothing shows. Has anyone done this? It would allow anyone to view one's position in realtime, so, for example, someone doing an end-to-end, tour, etc, could have their current location displayed on their blog, "Where in the World is ..." style.
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

patricktaylor wrote:After further reading, it seems I can view my GPS location on the web (eg: my website). Here's a screenshot image of a test from the Garmin website - so it must be doable (the image shows how my realtime location appears in Google Maps - in this instance I'm just sat in my house with the GPS turned on).

Isn't that showing a waypoint that you have marked and downloaded from the Garmin, as opposed to actual realtime tracking?

I have my Site Key from Garmin and pasted the sample JavaScript into my web page but nothing shows. Has anyone done this? It would allow anyone to view one's position in realtime, so, for example, someone doing an end-to-end, tour, etc, could have their current location displayed on their blog, "Where in the World is ..." style.

If you don't know what you're doing with the Communicator plugin, I would say don't bother. Basically it lets you download routes/waypoints/tracks from a Garmin to your PC. Though I think there is better/more useful software available for doing this.
I don't think the Communicator Plugin does realtime tracking.

There is other software that will do realtime tracking for a Garmin and display it on a website, eg: GPSGate http://franson.com/gpsgate/
But you need to have the Garmin plugged into a laptop, and have some sort of internet connection (eg a mobile phone), so doesn't seem very practical for on tour.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

CraigW wrote:... Isn't that showing a waypoint that you have marked and downloaded from the Garmin, as opposed to actual realtime tracking? ...

I'm not sure. When I ran that test, the GPS was connected to my PC, and when I've run the test again, with the GPS switched on but not connected, I get "no device found" - so I think you're right. The information on Garmin's website is hard to understand.
MockCyclist

Post by MockCyclist »

Sat in the house with the GPS turned on ... was it plugged in via USB? If so, that's where the location waypoint is coming from.

The Garmin Communicator allows you to automate the uploading of your gps tracklog to a website, provided the website supports communicator. But it's possible to embed, say, a bikely map into many websites anyway, including blogger. As far as I can tell Garmin Communicator just removes the step of having to download the .gpx from the gps, and then separately upload it to (say) bikely, or your own website. Communicator doesn't do anything that you can't do longhand.

As for real time tracking, James Bond style, isn't there a way that Google can do it? But, you've got to get the data to the web in real-time, from your gps via a pc. So I guess it would be possible with a gps connected to a netbook connected to the web via a cellphone data card - if you could afford the charges.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

MockCyclist wrote:Sat in the house with the GPS turned on ... was it plugged in via USB? If so, that's where the location waypoint is coming from ...

Yes it was. I'm a bit clearer now, thanks. My GPS won't transmit anything except via a USB cable to a computer (or a mobile phone maybe). So I can now delete the Communicator PlugIn, as I won't be carrying a laptop.
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

A mobile phone with gps and a tracking application lets you update your position real time, but they are both data and battery intensive. If I run the 'GPS Tracker' application on my Blackberry the battery only lasts about a day.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I've never used a GPS before and I was being over-ambitious with the realtime tracking idea.

Anyway I now have an eTrex Legend HCx loaded with a City Navigator Micro SD card for the UK and Ireland. Mounted on the handlebars, works well - great fun. France & Benelux card next.