The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Postby Mick F » 30 Jul 2009, 4:51pm

I'm planning a couple of weeks away in September, and I need a little advice please. Nothing booked as yet - still in the melting pot.

First night may be The Admiral's Rest B+B in Bridgwater - been there before - excellent - 80 odd miles.
Second night - I refuse point blank to stay at Welsh Bicknor YHA, so I'll find a B+B somewhere else. How about a B+B at Ledbury or somewhere near? Great Malvern? Any ideas?

I'm going to go up the A38 this time rather than cross the Severn Bridge.

I'll make Wrexham for the third night for some sisterly TLC, free food and free beer! http://www.jollybrewer.co.uk/index.htm

Then it's on to Daughter No1 in South Manchester - easy 50 miles or even less. Stay there a couple of days.

Then it's down to Daughter No 2 in Bedford for another couple of days.
This route is my problem really. I've never ever been through the Peak District or Nottingham or anywhere like that in the Midlands area before. I could make Manchester to Nottingham in one day, then make Bedford the following day, but that would be too fast, I'd like to take three days and see some of the sights enroute.

Any ideas?
Buxton?
Bakewell?
Matlock?
Nottingham?
Melton Mowbray?
Market Harborough?
Northampton?
I'm not afraid of hills. I'm not afraid of traffic and big roads, but I don't like off-road tracks at all very much. I'll be on a road bike pulling a trailer. I'd like an efficient but scenic route splitting the 150miles of Manchester to Bedford into three equal-ish days.

From Bedford, I'll come home via Oxford YHA and Street YHA I would think. I've done that ride both ways before.

Thanks guys, I know you won't let me down!
Mick F. Cornwall

braz

Re: The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Postby braz » 30 Jul 2009, 6:22pm

Ledbury B & B - there are some people called Brazier who advertise in the CTC magazine - haven't got one with me so can't help with a phone number - regular ad, so I'm sure that you can find it!

Why not go to Brittany for a change? http://www.af3v.org

regards, Braz. (and no! - just a happy coincidence!)

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 30 Jul 2009, 9:13pm

I only know a little bit of the route.

From Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough looks like to B6047. I've not been down that route, just got it off the map.

From Market Harborough towards Northampton it's the Brampton Valley Way, NCN6, getting off at Brixworth.
I've cycled it on my Trice Q, Its not a bad surface.
If you don't want to follow the NCN6 then its the A508 to Brixworth, fast but not overly busy, I've cycled Brixworth to Northampton on it.
From Brixworth aim to cut between Northampton and Wellingbourgh.
Brixworth -> Holcot -> Sywell (home) -> Mears Ashby -> Earls Barton -> Grendon -> Bozeat. All back roads
After Bozeat it's possible to stick to the back roads, hitting the A5 just outside Bedford but I've not cycled that far, I turn north at Bozeat back towards Wellingbourgh and home.

Hope this idea of part of the route helps.

Luck .............. :D

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 31 Jul 2009, 10:49am

braz wrote:Ledbury B & B - there are some people called Brazier who advertise in the CTC magazine - haven't got one with me so can't help with a phone number - regular ad, so I'm sure that you can find it!

Why not go to Brittany for a change? http://www.af3v.org

regards, Braz. (and no! - just a happy coincidence!)

Mark & Ann Brazier
Munsley Acre
HR8 2SH
01386 832095

Been a few times for weekends etc.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Jul 2009, 11:36am

Excellent, thanks guys!
Just looked it up.

It's now on my list.

Any more ideas between Manch and Bedford?
(Thanks for the info Tigerbitten, I'll be looking at the route later.)

Someone must have some info about The Peak District. I've never been, so know nowt!
Mick F. Cornwall

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 31 Jul 2009, 12:13pm

Morning Mick, depends exactly where you are in South Manch, but there's a lovely route Knutsford, Mobberley, Alderley Edge, Prestbury (which is part of the Cheshire Cycleway - all on road) and on to Macclesfield.
You could then tackle the wonderful route to Buxton via the Cat & Fiddle.
A good swoop down to Bakewell on the A6 as you don't mind the traffic too much.
I'm not familiar with anything further on than Matlock, but your suggested route looks promising.
Hopefully you'll get further feedback for that section.

Oh!, if you're a bit further east in Manchester, I'd suggest heading up to Glossop, going over the Snake Pass to Ladybower and then heading south through Hathersage, Froggat etc. down to Bakewell that way.

Either route will give you a real feel for the Peak District and it's lovely scenery.

regards,
Fausto.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 31 Jul 2009, 12:16pm

Mick F wrote:Excellent, thanks guys!

Someone must have some info about The Peak District. I've never been, so know nowt!

I've only done off road in the Peak, but is known for being hilly. :oops:

The A6 goes from S'th Manchester to Bedford but not what you really want I'm sure.
May make a start point though for route planning.

How about:- http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodatio ... index.aspx
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 31 Jul 2009, 1:25pm

For the final approach to Bedford going via Grafham water to Perry, Great Staunton down to Great Barford, Willington, Cople and Cardington (home of gigantic Airship hangers!) and then into Bedford is a nice route. I did it in reverse as part of an 80 miler from Hitchin. The roads are generally fast, quiet and undulating making for very nice riding.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Jul 2009, 1:54pm

fausto copy wrote:....... depends exactly where you are in South Manch ......
Whalley Range - I was thinking of getting out of the city via Stockport and Hazel Grove.

cycleruk wrote:The A6 goes from S'th Manchester to Bedford but not what you really want I'm sure.
No!

fausto copy wrote:..... and on to Macclesfield.
You could then tackle the wonderful route to Buxton via the Cat & Fiddle.
A good swoop down to Bakewell on the A6 as you don't mind the traffic too much.
Sounds good!

fatboy wrote:For the final approach to Bedford going via Grafham water to Perry, Great Staunton down to Great Barford, Willington, Cople and Cardington (home of gigantic Airship hangers!) and then into Bedford is a nice route.
Looks good.

I'm getting out my highlighter pen soon, and trace this lot on my map.

Thanks guys.
Mick F. Cornwall

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 31 Jul 2009, 3:17pm

Mick F wrote:
fausto copy wrote:....... depends exactly where you are in South Manch ......
Whalley Range - I was thinking of getting out of the city via Stockport and Hazel Grove.

Then, head over towards Kettleshulme and head for the Goyt valley, pass Erwood res'v'r and come out on the main road just east of the Cat & Fiddle pub. You could always cycle up for a pint with the excuse that you came to take in the view!

drossall

Postby drossall » 31 Jul 2009, 10:31pm

When I first moved south in the early 80s, I used to ride from North Hertfordshire to Bedford, pick up the A6, follow that to Derby and then go via Ashbourne to Leek and into Cheshire. It was a reasonable day ride then. Last time I tried it, the A6 had been rebuilt, and I hadn't, and the ride suffered on both counts :cry:

Any of the roads mentioned across the Peaks are worth visiting, as are most of the towns you suggested. If you can manage several routes...

With a bit more trouble to use find parallel roads to the A6, and the old road where available, still should be a nice ride. I remember getting stuck in Leicester because the A6 that I had previously followed had been pedestrianised. There were plenty of cycle route signs to "Town Centre", but none to get you back out to the suburbs (maybe Leicester shoppers never go home, I don't know), so I wandered lost in circles for ages :evil:

I'd avoid Leicester and Loughborough unless you want a major town.

braz

Postby braz » 31 Jul 2009, 11:09pm

France! http://www.randobreizh.org.

You can understand the language there much better than in the Peak District ..........

(that ought to get me a few comments!)
Image Attachments
Voie Verte nr Carhaix.JPG
Voie Verte (old railway line) near Carhaix in Brittany.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Jul 2009, 11:18pm

I have trouble with Cornish, let alone French!

I speak Wiganese.
(Pies and black puddings)
Mick F. Cornwall

braz

Postby braz » 1 Aug 2009, 12:04pm

All you need at the moment is

Ass yw euthek an gewer!
(what awful weather!)

'appen as like, lad! 'm off fer t'brew. (yes, we have also lived in Lancashire - Trough of Bowland - but sort of more Latte than Black Puddin'. We were always known as the 'offcummuns' - which I think is colloquial for those residents from a different part of the United Kingdom.

jolly kind regards, Braz.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Aug 2009, 8:52pm

braz wrote:Ledbury B & B - there are some people called Brazier who advertise in the CTC magazine - haven't got one with me so can't help with a phone number - regular ad, so I'm sure that you can find it!

cycleruk wrote:Mark & Ann Brazier
Munsley Acre
HR8 2SH
01386 832095

Been a few times for weekends etc.

Sorry guys.

Phone number is in wrong area - far too far east. It answers, but they've got no idea what we're talking about!
The "Brazier" name doesn't work with BT for that address, or anywhere near.
Google won't find them at all, but if it does, it gives the info that Cycleruk gives - wrong!
Royal Mail agree the post code and the address correspond. I suppose I could write to them ...................

Dunno what's going on, but whatever it is, it won't work now on line.

I'll be looking for somewhere else in the area tomorrow morning.
Mick F. Cornwall