The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferrit worrier

Re: The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Post by ferrit worrier »

drossall wrote:As a former resident of Cheadle Hulme, those are both A road routes of course. Of the two, the Cat and Fiddle is a classic climb. The A6 is OK, but with traffic and nothing except Lyme Park of special interest until you reach Long Hill, I wouldn't choose it for my only ride in the area.

If you're not bothered about climbing the Cat and don't mind hills (and Mick is from Devon...), try going east out of Bollington and over Jenkin Chapel into the Goyt Valley at Errwood Reservoir, then south and up onto the Cat for a fun descent into Buxton.

OTOH if the trailer means that steep gradients are unwelcome, take the A6 and Long Hill. It's Long because it's not particularly Steep, and easier than the Cat therefore, which is steeper at the bottom, but then has long sweeping bends across the moors at a more gentle gradient.

Or if you want to take just the edge of the Peak District, head for Leek and take the A523 to Ashbourne.

Sorry Mick, don't think I'm going to make that mid-week date at Bedford.

I had thought of the Jekin Chapel route, but last time I went down to Errwood reservoir the road had quite a few potholes in it and it is quite steep, I had visions of Micks trailer being airborne part of the time :)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've had a rummage through some pics I took earlier on this year when I went up to the Cat and Fiddle

Cat and fiddle appraoch from Macc
Cat and fiddle appraoch from Macc

The buildings in the distance are at Handforth a couple of miles from home

from the A54 towards Stockport
from the A54 towards Stockport

Not brilliant pics but you might get an idea of the views

Malc
drossall

Post by drossall »

Ah well I haven't been over Jenkin Chapel for 30 years, so it's probably got different pot-holes now.

A visit to Mercian is a must :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
Keep it all coming .......

Mercian?
Never heard of them! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Tigerbiten wrote:From Market Harborough towards Northampton it's the Brampton Valley Way, NCN6, getting off at Brixworth.
I've cycled it on my Trice Q, Its not a bad surface.
If you don't want to follow the NCN6 then its the A508 to Brixworth, fast but not overly busy, I've cycled Brixworth to Northampton on it.
From Brixworth aim to cut between Northampton and Wellingbourgh.
Brixworth -> Holcot -> Sywell (home) -> Mears Ashby -> Earls Barton -> Grendon -> Bozeat.

Update on route, as I've checked most of it out over the last couple of days.

You want to miss the Oxendon tunnel on the Brampton Valley Way/NCN6.
Wet, potholes filled with water, clay/mud floor which is very slippy.
The back of the trike was slideing sideways going through it, would not like to try it on two wheels or on foot unless you have very good front lights.
I would stay on the A508 out of Market Harbough and get on the Brampton Valley Way at the next enterance after Oxendon.
The Kelmarsh tunnel is just a bit damp in places but not bad.
The going on the Brampton Valley Way is mostly a very good macadam surface, I was hitting ~20mph in some places.

The exit at Station Road, Brixworth, is just before the bridge and is passable on my trike.
If you miss it, you can get off at the next road, but that pull up into Brixworth is slightly steeper.

Then its Brixworth -> Holcot -> Sywell (home) -> Mears Ashby -> Earls Barton -> Grendon -> Bozeat.
Then its Harrold -> Pavenham -> Oakly -> Clapham -> Bedford.
I turned around just after Oakly yesterday, but it was a good day 40 mile for me on mostly quiet back roads and I did ~37 the day before.

Luck .......... :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that, sounds good, not sure about an NCS route though. I'm not a fan on a long distance ride.

The previous night I will have made Wirksworth, south of Matlock, and I reckon I can make Daughter2's place in Bedford in the day. Perhaps 90 odd to 100 miles. It's through areas of the country I have little or no knowledge of.

I want a fast, simple, efficient route, and the last bit of yours looks great:
Then its Brixworth -> Holcot -> Sywell (home) -> Mears Ashby -> Earls Barton -> Grendon -> Bozeat.
Then its Harrold -> Pavenham -> Oakly -> Clapham -> Bedford.

My basic plan that I've outlined, however, was further to the west:
Hinckly/Crick/Northampton/Yardly Hastings/Bidnam/Bedford (very much in the melting pot!)
It looks like I can get from Crick over to Brixworth very easily thereby missing out Northampton completely - which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks Tigerbiten, I have much to think about.

For the record, this is my stopover itinerary:
Leave Cornwall and make Bridgwater 9th Sept 83 miles
Yarkhill, near Hereford 10th Sept 92 miles
Wrexham 11th Sept 85 miles
Manchester 12th and 13th Sept 50 miles
Wirksworth, near Matlock 14th Sept 51 miles
Bedford 15th and 16th Sept 100 miles
Wantage, near Swindon-ish, 17th Sept 69 miles
Street YHA, near Glastonbury 18th Sept 80 miles
Home, via Old A38 to Exeter then via Old A30 to Okehampton 19th Sep 97 miles

Total distance, around 705 miles.

Please note, this is NOT on a Raleigh Chopper, but it will be towing my CF trailer and alu box.

The Melting Pot contains routes Manchester to Wirksworth and Wirksworth to Bedford.
The rest, I am happy with as I know the basic routes well.

Thanks guys for your continued assistance, and I'll sit down a plan a definitive route in the next week or two.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

For Manchester to Wirksworth I'd suggest from South Manchester head over to Poynton and pick up the Macc road A523 it's a busy road but not to bad after the morning rush this takes you into Macc, The alternatives are narrower twisty and just as busy, from Macc the A537 climbs up to the Cat and Fiddle it's steep at first but once out into open country it's better. from the Cat avoid going into Buxton unless you want to, cut across the A53 (Leek road) onto the A515 then the A5012 towards Matlock.

While at Wirksworth there's the Tramway Museum at Crich. I'd find your B & B leave the trailer there and have a run up I'd check on opening times though first?

Have a look and see what you think :wink:

Malc
PW

Post by PW »

The A6 ain't too bad, but I'd avoid the first couple of miles after Buxton, it's fast, heavily trafficked with quarry wagons, the road runs through a limestone gorge with short sight lines and sharp corners and it's narrow. Better to go through Chelmorton, & join the A6 further E on the approach to Taddington. The run through Bakewell is fairly fast and mainly level to downhill continuing through Matlock and down towards Derby. Beware if you turn off the A6 in the Matlock area - you pay the immediate penalty of a hill which could be 1 in 5 or sometimes worse. Pretty bits, you could take a left at Ashford in the Water and run across to Chatsworth, rejoining the A6 at Rowsley, or after Bakewell look out for the Youlgreave turning and have a wander around Stanton & Birchover - that isn't flat either!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just found out where Daughter1 lives!
Mrs Mick F came back from there yesterday, no, she didn't ride, she flew up from Plymouth!

Any road up, Daughter and Chap have recently moved house, I wasn't aware of exactly where, but now I know, I'm VERY happy. She lives near Altrincham ie outside the M60 ring. Very easy from Wrexham, and quite easy to head south too without having to go into the City.

I imagined heading out through Hazel Grove and Stockport on the busy A6, but I can make my way via Wilmslow to Macclesfield.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick, When you come across from Wrexham if you travel to Middlewhich try and avoid the A54 between there and Holmes Chapel It's a primary route for lots of HGV's from Eddie Stobarts and James Irlam to the M6 it's a narrow road and little or nowhere to get out of the way.

From memory there was a question some time ago about this area and I think the suggestion was to use the B5081 I've never been on it so I can't comment but it is a direct route to Alderlely Edge and South Manchester.

If the traffic looks busy and you want to give it a bit to quieten down there's a Little Chef / Burger King? just before the roundabout on the outskirts of the town. OS sheet 118 713667

Malc
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hello again FW!

I've still got your mobile number, and I'll text you nearer the day, if that's ok and we can work out how/when/where to meet on my way south through the Peak District.

As for route from Big Sis in Wrexham to Daughter2 in South Manchester, here's an outline of my route. I'm fairly familiar with Lancashire's geography, so perhaps I could make it there without a map! I have the route on my computer, as you can see, and can upload it onto my Garmin 305.

I'll be taking paper maps too of course!

to Mancester.jpg
Click for slightly bigger view!

Is that ok as a route in general?
(I don't want to show too much detail of locations)
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

Re your route, I've never considered going north of the M56 or A556 to get to Wrexham I've only ever used the A556 through Chester or dropped down through Holmes Chapel, Sandbach, Crewe, Nantwitch, and A534. It's what you get used to over the years, my parents always went A556 when we went on holiday to Wales, or Dad used to take me out on the motor bike round Beeston etc . I'm not familiar with the highways and byways around Warrington etc perhaps others might advise. I think your way is quite straight forward while going south of the 556 it dinks about a bit but the totals are about the same 50 /55 miles. Home to Chester is about 40 miles via 556 and 39 back via Winsford, Middlewich and Holmes Chapel.

I've still got your Mobile number too! give me a call / text whenever your ready.

Best regards

Malc
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I picked that route for a few reasons.

1. Some of it is on my LEJOG route!
2. It goes past where I was born - Rossett - between Wrexham and Chester on the old road.
3. The old road (A56) between Chester and Warrington through Helsby and Frodsham and is reasonably quiet these days because of the M56.
4. I don't know Holmes Chapel, Sandbach, Crew and Nantwich at all!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:I picked that route for a few reasons.

1. Some of it is on my LEJOG route!
2. It goes past where I was born - Rossett - between Wrexham and Chester on the old road.
3. The old road (A56) between Chester and Warrington through Helsby and Frodsham and is reasonably quiet these days because of the M56.
4. I don't know Holmes Chapel, Sandbach, Crew and Nantwich at all!!!

Good stuff Mick! it's what I like about being out on a bike you can visit places you know and see how they have changed even perhaps see some old faces, and you definatley see more than blatting past in a car. I sometimes go round to where I used to live in Wythenshawe. And it's tons easier when you know the route :)

Malc
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick
Unfortunately living in Croydon I cannot offer you any advice on the best route to take but what I can do is wish you a safe and enjoyable journey. You put those of us in our late 50s to shame. Cheers Ted