The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cycleruk

Re: The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Post by cycleruk »

Sorry Mick about wrong Tel' No.
This is from a CTC ad'.
01531 670568

or e-mail:-
munsleyacre@clara.net

Ad'=
http://s106604922.websitehome.co.uk/ctc ... 906ppk.pdf
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks, for a prompt reply!

I'll give them a ring in the morning. (That area code is correct for Ledbury).

What went wrong with Google etc and everything else to do with numbers/names/addresses?
I suppose I'll ask them in the morning ......
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fully booked.

Mrs Mick F did the phone call, and she didn't ask what went wrong with the Googling and stuff.

However, the lady at Munsley was a little confused why I wanted to stay there when I was on my way to Manchester. She didn't think it was on a CTC route.

Strange.

Maybe CTC tourists (of which I'm one) generally do something different to what I want to do - use my bike as a form of transport to get me from A to B.

Any road up, Ledbury is just about slap bang where I want to stay after getting off the A38 corridor and making my way NW to the A49 corridor.

Back to Googling .......
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

If your looking for somwhere Buxton / Bakewell

Try Shallow Grange

www.shallowgrange.com

Eddie and I were pals many years ago, well we still are, we lost contact in the sixties I thnk! bet got back when I met their son Jamie at work, .... long story. It's a beautifull site they do B&B + camping etc

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote:Fully booked.

Maybe CTC tourists (of which I'm one) generally do something different to what I want to do - use my bike as a form of transport to get me from A to B.

Any road up, Ledbury is just about slap bang where I want to stay after getting off the A38 corridor and making my way NW to the A49 corridor.

Back to Googling .......

That's a pity.
A to B via g,p & t. :lol:

Let us know how you get on.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Hi Mick

Any idea when you will be hitting the A49 corridor. I live in the area and could join you for a while if you wanted company, just depends on dates as will be away cycling from 12th to 20th.

Michael
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ferrit worrier wrote:If your looking for somwhere Buxton / Bakewell
Try Shallow Grange
http://www.shallowgrange.com

Thanks for that FW, I'll put that info into the melting pot.

MichaelM wrote:Any idea when you will be hitting the A49 corridor. I live in the area and could join you for a while if you wanted company, just depends on dates as will be away cycling from 12th to 20th.

Great! I'd love to meet you. You won't be able to miss me on my Mercian with an aluminium box in tow!

I'll be up to Leominster/Ludlow by mid to late morning on Friday 11th Sept. Possibly coming up via Bromyard and A44, or more likely the A417 to south of Leominster on my way to Shrewsbury, then the A528 via Harmer Hill, Ellesmere and Overton to Wrexham.
I still have to book the previous night, of course. I'll Google Ledbury later, and make a list for phone calls.
Mick F. Cornwall
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Ok, I should be able to do a short part of the ride with you. I have to head up to Manchester in the car in the afternoon to pick up a friend before going to Snowdon ready to start our trip early on the Saturday morning. If things didn't work out for cycling, I should at least be able to meet for a bite to eat in Ludlow. Might even be able to take your luggage to Wrexham for you as I will be passing through there on way north in car.

My mobile is 07703 462109
drossall

Post by drossall »

So when do you reach Bedford? We may be on holiday though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bedford on the evening of Wed 16th Sept.

I leave Manch on Mon 14th and take three cycling days to Bedford. I could do it in two days, but three is easier for sightseeing enroute.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

I've been giving your tour a coat of thinking. If you want to go to Buxton avoid Stockport and that part of the A6. there are a couple of ways into the hills. The first is to cut across south Manchester via Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall and towards Poynton. then join the A6 at Hazel Grove. follow it through Whally Bridge, and Long Hill (A5004) that saves going through Chapel En Le Frith and mixing it with the Heavies and I think it's a nicer more scenic route. into Buxton and follow the A6 for Bakewell. But beware there is a long steep downhill section with wagon run offs it's easy to get 40+ down there.

The other way is to head for Macclesfield via Wilmslow and Prestbury, on the A538. through Macc then go up to the Cat and Fiddle via the A537 (alt 516M ASL) if the weather is good there are some fab views, you can then cut across onto the A525 to Monyash then across to Bakewell but there are a couple of steep hills on the B5055.

Just one other thing to watch is the weather, it can get really windy up there, and once in Buxton the only way out is UP hill :roll:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
drossall

Post by drossall »

As a former resident of Cheadle Hulme, those are both A road routes of course. Of the two, the Cat and Fiddle is a classic climb. The A6 is OK, but with traffic and nothing except Lyme Park of special interest until you reach Long Hill, I wouldn't choose it for my only ride in the area.

If you're not bothered about climbing the Cat and don't mind hills (and Mick is from Devon...), try going east out of Bollington and over Jenkin Chapel into the Goyt Valley at Errwood Reservoir, then south and up onto the Cat for a fun descent into Buxton.

OTOH if the trailer means that steep gradients are unwelcome, take the A6 and Long Hill. It's Long because it's not particularly Steep, and easier than the Cat therefore, which is steeper at the bottom, but then has long sweeping bends across the moors at a more gentle gradient.

Or if you want to take just the edge of the Peak District, head for Leek and take the A523 to Ashbourne.

Sorry Mick, don't think I'm going to make that mid-week date at Bedford.
drossall

Post by drossall »

South-east from Buxton, if the aluminium box will take stony paths, there are the Tissington Trail (to Ashbourne) or the linking High Peak Trail to Cromford south of Matlock Bath. Both are railway paths. Be aware that the latter has downward inclines - there were winding engines on the old line.

You should be able to get access at Pomeroy on the A515 out of Buxton.
james01

Post by james01 »

Recently stayed at Hunters Moon b&b, at Upton Bishop, 7 miles SSW of Ledbury, so may be a little too far South for you. V quiet & clean, lovely rural lane approach ( it's a mile or two north of J3 of the M50). £25 single b&b. Google "Hunters Moon Upton Bishop".
Have a great trip.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Tissington trail will take you to Ashbourne, High Peak trail will take you down towards Matlock/Cromford - both should be OK with bike and trailer, though the High Peak has a dodgy descent after Middleton Top. You can leave the trail there and descend to the valley bottom by road or carry on over to Wirksworth and Duffield to get into Derby.

If you can be a bit more specific about where you want to go, I can help you with route planning as Derbys/Notts/Leics is my neck of the woods. I know all the roads like the back of my hand. Do you want main-ish roads and easy navigation or quieter roads?

Perhaps you could even visit the Mercian shop in Derby, on your way down - they close on a Wednesday though!
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev