The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The 2009 Two Daughters Tour

Post by Mick F »

Thank you, Ted.

I'm packing, getting stuff and spares together, tomorrow it's bike maintenance, and ticking my lists.

Off by 0800 on Wednesday, first stop Bridgwater 87miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's it. Packed and ready to go!

I'll wander down the pub for a couple this evening, then home for tea, bed early, up at six, breakfast and stuff, then away before eight.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Have a good trip Mick, see you Monday.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Disaster!

I was just entering Taunton yesterday afternoon, 75 miles under my belt, when I heard a loud scraping from behind. My trailer's LH wheel had come off! I stopped as soon as I could, but the underside of the chassis was damaged from scraping along the road. Luckily, I stayed on a steady course, and no one was injured. It could have caused a nasty accident if someone was close behind me.

Again, luckily, my wheel rolled along the side of the road complete with it's axle and stopped right next to me! I was doing about 20mph downhill on the busy A38.

I unhitched, lifted Bike and Trailer onto a grassy bank and surveyed the damage. The axle wouldn't go back in and anyway, the fixing had broken. That's why it came out. I hammered it in a bit using the tow-arm, and limped into town not knowing what to do.

I turned into a tyre/exhaust place, and borrowed a big lump-hammer with a copper face and drove the axle in! I doubt it will ever come out again! I damaged the fixing nut too. I carried on to Bridgwater, checked into the B+B and was very concerned.

This morning, I decided to carry on regardless, but knowing that the wheel may stay on ok, but not trusting the RH one any more either.

I made it as far as the bottom of Red Hill when I heard a click. I'd done just over 20 miles and it was 10am.

I looked round to see the RH wheel about to come off! I stopped PDQ but in a very nasty stretch of the busy A38. What could I do? I unhitched, leant Bike into the nettles, scratched my leg, then scratched my head thinking what to do. I pushed the axle back in, and carried on a couple of hundred yards to a field gate.

Unhitched again, turned Trailer on it's side, and had a fiddle. Long story very short, I managed to click it into position, then just had to head for home. I couldn't even contemplate riding another 600 miles in this situation, so I turned round with a very very sad face. I headed the 20 miles back to Bridgwater, rang the bell at the B+B I'd just left 5 hours previously, and checked back in.

My plan is to leave Trailer and stuff here, and whizz back home with just me and Bike, then on Saturday, drive up to collect it. The people here are very happy for me to do this. Nice folk!

Later this evening, I'll start a new thread in Tech Section detailing what has gone wrong with both the axles. Rest assured, Carry Freedom will be getting a FULL report!

The best laid plans of mice and men ...........
Mick F. Cornwall
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Sorry to hear that Mick. Very disappointing for you, but at least no accident was caused and no damage to you or Bike.

I set of on my trip at the weekend, 500 miles from Snowdon to Fort William on my new Mercian. Been going really well for first 250 miles, then yesterday had all sorts of changing problems. Anyway, a bit of fiddling later, seems to be ok again. I guess it was the bedding-in period for cables etc.

Hope to meet up with you another time as you will not be making tomorrow now.

Regards

Michael
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry to hear that things have gone sour Mick, but at least you have managed to deal with the problem. Also sorry to mention that after all that was said about rubbish weather forecasts, it's so hot here I got too warm sitting outside. As I mentioned on another thread, the mercury is very high and still edging up.
Si

Post by Si »

Bad luck Mick :cry:

I know that it can be a bit of a shock to lose a trailer wheel - did it on my first outing with my new trailer - had to climb into someone's garden to retrieve it :oops:

Are you going to swap over to panniers and try and complete the tour, or has the hassle put you off?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm too far behind schedule to carry on. I should be up near Hereford this evening. I suppose I could buy a set of panniers and carry on, but my heart isn't in it now.

I called into SJS Cycles (round the corner) and bought an Altura bar bag. That and my little bag behind my saddle will get me home with a few items - change of top etc as it my be hot during the day, but it's very chilly at 7.30 whizzing through Somerset! Me and Mrs Mick F will drive up on Saturday to collect Trailer. She's doing the necessary phone calls this afternoon.

On a plus note, although my mobile phone doesn't get much signal, my Dongle works a treat! Here I am, on line, and fast broadband to boot!

Just composing a report in the Tech Section regarding stub axles .........
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Sorry to hear this Mick.
I was thinking of you earlier today when I was out for a spin with my son. We were battling north into a pretty strong headwind. I was thinking "at least Mick will be happy it's not wet and miserable."
Hope things work out somehow and knowing your adaptability you'll think of something positive!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Mick

Sorry to read about your tour going pear shaped! I can vouch for TC's weather report. Blue sky's and I've got the chiller at work going full chat! I'll leave it at that it'll only rub salt in the wound.

Need any parts? PM me if I can help!

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

FW.

You have PM shortly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Home now.

Mrs Mick F and me drove up to Bridgwater on Saturday, had an afternoon in the town, an evening out pub-crawling and took a take-away back to the the B+B with a bottle of wine. We had a lovely drive home yesterday afternoon with Trailer sitting in the back.

We followed my cycling route rather than the motorway, the weather was perfect and the traffic light.

We both had a thoroughly good time away for the day, and I feel we made the best out of a catastrophic situation!
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick

Only just read about your problems. I am sorry to learn about the trailer issue but at the same time happy to learn that you are safe and physically all is well.
There's always tomorrow and I am sure that when you choose to, your set off again.
I don't want to get too profound but as someone said to me this year at the TT after John McGuness had done the first lap at a record speed and his chain broke " someone was looking down on him" and it sounds given how dodgey the A38 can be that could apply to you as well. Keep Safe Ted
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As a post script to this thread, had I known that the weather would be perfect for cycle-touring so far into October, I would have had a go at trying again.

The stuffing was knocked out of me when I had to abort the trip, and I never even considered about trying again this autumn. Definitely too late now ............
Mick F. Cornwall