Clean sheets

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Clean sheets

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Aug 2009, 10:20pm

My wife is watching the "Hotel Inspector" - on her visit she notes the duvet has not been changed and apparently for 3 star status fresh linen for each customer is required.

Sorry - but I expect clean linen at any standard!

Would you accept used bedsheets in a hotel of any standard?

Robert

Re: Clean sheets

Postby Robert » 3 Aug 2009, 10:46pm

Absolutely not. No more to say really.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Aug 2009, 7:20am

Depends who used them last!! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

robertrabbit

Postby robertrabbit » 4 Aug 2009, 8:58am

Robert wrote:Absolutely not.

+1 (and then some)

It has never even crossed my mind that they don't provide clean sheets every time - ugh.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 4 Aug 2009, 9:39am

Ugh would expect clean sheets and would not cross my mind that they had not been.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 4 Aug 2009, 1:58pm

I'm sure you won't all be sleeping in used sheets.
Most B&B's and hotels nowadays have a top and bottom sheet, which are changed every few days or when new customers arrive.
The duvet is placed on top of the sheets and wouldn't normally be in contact with persons in bed.
I'm sure it was the case on TV that the duvet cover had'nt been replaced.
However, it would be nice to think that it itself was changed regularly!

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 4 Aug 2009, 8:14pm

Most hostels use duvets. Every person is given a clean sheet sleeping bag but the duvet covers are not changed every time. I'm happy to accept this in a hostel but not a hotel.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Aug 2009, 6:28am

Long story (not cycling) .......... I'm in Bridgnorth in a little hotel, staying two nights.
The Croft Hotel.
http://www.crofthotelbridgnorth.co.uk/c ... ndex.shtml

Clean sheets!
Mick F. Cornwall

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 5 Aug 2009, 8:55am

bogmyrtle wrote:Most hostels use duvets. Every person is given a clean sheet sleeping bag but the duvet covers are not changed every time. I'm happy to accept this in a hostel but not a hotel.

..and this is why sheet sleeping bags were devised, in the good ole days of the wool blanket, only your sheet was next to your body. Also it reduced the likelihood of someone using a sleeping bag that might have been used for them to sleep rough in, in some hedge the previous night, thus preventing nasties being brought into the bedding.
The sheet bag with duvet applies the same principle, but with the bag supplied by the hostel it guarantees that everyone does infact have a sheet with them and saves carrying of one.
However we were talking about hotels and not "cheap?" hostels.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

dandini

Postby dandini » 5 Aug 2009, 11:09am

I remember a tip from travelling/touring in places which dont provide towels (quite common in some parts of the world). Use the sheet as a towel at the end of your stay so you dont have to pack a wet towel. And also it makes the sheet obviously used and encourages the establishment to change the linen. So whenever you leave a hotel of whatever standard mess up the linen so it has to be changed for the next guest.

Say33

Postby Say33 » 5 Aug 2009, 5:27pm

The fluids and DNA that accumulate on bedding in even the nicest hotels can be quite terrifying, if you get bothered by that sort of thing. Best to just not think about it :wink:

climo

Postby climo » 6 Aug 2009, 11:58pm

dandini wrote:I remember a tip from travelling/touring in places which dont provide towels (quite common in some parts of the world). Use the sheet as a towel at the end of your stay so you dont have to pack a wet towel. And also it makes the sheet obviously used and encourages the establishment to change the linen. So whenever you leave a hotel of whatever standard mess up the linen so it has to be changed for the next guest.

Well, you hope that's so anyway. :)
I was in India some 25 years ago. In most cheaper hotels sheets were provided but oddly blankets were not. Luckily we had sleeping bags. Generally, hotel hygiene was "optional".
In many european alpine huts some people ignore rules about bringing sheet sleeping bags and just use the blankets provided - which get washed once a year.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 7 Aug 2009, 9:19am

Most interesting place we stayed was a little guest house near Marseille Port. We were to catch the evening ferry to Corsica, but when we got there the whole port was shut, no activity suggesting any ferries about to depart and security that spoke no English. We established there was a Seaman's strike (when isn't there in France) and to come back at 08.00 the next day!
We found a bed for the night in an establishment that it soon became clear was run by north Africans (no paper in the loo just a bottle of water etc) The sheets appeared to be clean but I was less certain about the floor and made sure my sandals were prescisely where I could put my feet in them.
All rather different than luxury cabin we should have had on the overnight sailing.

JC4LAB

Postby JC4LAB » 7 Aug 2009, 5:27pm

Using hostels I still have the old YHa Sheet liner..For me when abroad a clean room is one full of Geckos..They eat the bugs..As for Sheets what are they?

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 7 Aug 2009, 8:23pm

JC4LAB wrote:Using hostels I still have the old YHa Sheet liner..For me when abroad a clean room is one full of Geckos..They eat the bugs..As for Sheets what are they?

Hostels in this country don't like people using their own sheet sleeping bags or sleeping bags because they can harbour bed bugs.
Bed bugs are also quite common in hotels.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.