France - cycling advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sue_W

France - cycling advice

Post by Sue_W »

I'm heading to France for a couple of weeks in early September, driving from Calais to the Vercor, combining both road cycling and mountain biking. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stop for a couple of days on for the way down and on the way back that are a good central spot for some good road rides and / or mountain bike routes. Doesn't have to be directly en-route, but roughly in line of heading from Calais to Grenoble.

Also any advice / suggestions / comments on bike-friendly campsites, routes (both road and mtb), places to eat, weather etc etc most welcome :) Or any pinters for useful webistes to find further information.

Cheers
Millhouse

Re: France - cycling advice

Post by Millhouse »

Annecy is a great place to cycle. There are cycle routes around the lake and some hair raising downhill tracks in the mountains.
There is an excellent campsite on the eastern side of the lake run by the French Caravan and Camping club.
neilob

Post by neilob »

When cyclists go to heaven, it will be like Annecy. So I agree......there are few places in the world that make me as happy to be there and on a bike. You really have a mix of every terrain on-road within 20-30km, from extrreme climbs to gentle undulating and quiet roads. I've stayed at a campsite there but my experience was/is that it's worth booking ahead unless your trip is after mid-September when it should be OK.
Neil
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
cheadle hulme

Post by cheadle hulme »

Troyes is very pretty, with a nice Velo Vert that leads out for 40km or so along a lake and through a country park.

The roads around Lake Geneva are also stunning, (campsite nr Gex is cheaper). The Jura national park is to the north if you like hills!
Sue_W

Post by Sue_W »

cheers all - I totally agree that Annecy looks fantastic, but for this trip I was planning on stopping somewhere approximately midway between Calais and Grenoble to break the journey. Around Troyes looks the right kind of area - I'll see if I can find out more - but any further suggestions much appreciated :)
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I'd just keep driving. The sole attraction of the northeast of France (unless you hug the border and dip into the Vosges etc) is the autoroutes that head to all the other nice bits.

Why spend a valuable day pedalling through some flat fields when you could spend it in the Vercors or the Chartreuse?

Well that's my opinion anyway...
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

stewartpratt wrote:I'd just keep driving. The sole attraction of the northeast of France (unless you hug the border and dip into the Vosges etc) is the autoroutes that head to all the other nice bits.

Why spend a valuable day pedalling through some flat fields when you could spend it in the Vercors or the Chartreuse?

W-e-e-e-l-l-l, I might disagree there...

http://www.geocities.com/cyclefranceuk
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Cyclefrance wrote:
stewartpratt wrote:I'd just keep driving. The sole attraction of the northeast of France (unless you hug the border and dip into the Vosges etc) is the autoroutes that head to all the other nice bits.

W-e-e-e-l-l-l, I might disagree there...

http://www.geocities.com/cyclefranceuk

Mmmm, having tried to weigh up the respective merits of Troyes and the Vercours or Chartreuse in a calm collected manner but sorry cyclefrance I will have to dissagree with your disagreeing. Troyes is nice the Vercours is fantastic.

Sue, Calais Grenoble is 7.5 hours plus stops. I would say try and do it in a day if you can and if not then stop around Dijon, pretty city nice countryside and great wine with a well deserved post ride dinner.