Handlebar Bags - not enough room on my handlebars for one?!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cowtango

Handlebar Bags - not enough room on my handlebars for one?!

Post by Cowtango »

Hi All,

Question on Handlebars for a touring bike.

I have a ridgeback panorama touring bike - which has bull bars. All good so far. It also has interrupter type brakes -i.e. on the top bit of the bar as well as on the curve of the bull.

I would like to have a front mounted bag on the bike- but i need some way of creating around 5-10cms of clearance- so the brakes can have room to be used.

Is there some kind of additional bar that can be purchased that would be strong enough to hold a bag? i've seen ones for racing computer etc but they don't seem strong enough to hold a bag....

Any handlebar solutions that you know of, or things you've done on your tours would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
julk

Re: Handlebar Bags - not enough room on my handlebars for one?!

Post by julk »

If you have 27mm of spacers spare below your stem to replace then one of these will project forward 55 or 110 mms and is strong enough for a bar bag.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-Accessory-Bar-T-Shaped-105-mm-Extension-11040.htm
GeoffA

Re: Handlebar Bags - not enough room on my handlebars for one?!

Post by GeoffA »

Or, if you have a bag with Klick-Fix you can get this, or Ortlieb, you can get this.