Eurovelo 6 anyone done it? suggestions for easy riding EU?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bamboobike

Eurovelo 6 anyone done it? suggestions for easy riding EU?

Post by bamboobike »

Eurovelo 6 any one done it? I am thinking of starting north of Lyon (Southern Burgundy) in France on Oct 11th and then finishing in near Ulm near Munich in early Nov. Has anyone done this route? What do you think the weather will be ok for cycling and camping this time of year and is this a hilly part of the route? I only have 5 gears on my bike so I need a route that isn't to hilly.
Any other suggestions for easy (not to hilly) for warmer routes in Spain or south of France?
cheers
PS I will be riding a bike frame made of bamboo! Whoohoo!
BE1

Re: Eurovelo 6 anyone done it? suggestions for easy riding EU?

Post by BE1 »

You could have a first attempt at the official site. It now has a forum with a Q&A.

http://www.eurovelo6.org/practical-info

There are a few other bits and pieces around: i have mislaid the link to a french guy who has mapped EV6 across France but have a google..

Beyond that Bavaria in November could be a little chilly.
Ann Kennedy

Re: Eurovelo 6 anyone done it? suggestions for easy riding EU?

Post by Ann Kennedy »

We've just returned from doing a tour of Burgundy which included the EV6 from Briare to Santenay ... so not the section you are doing. However you may be interested to know that we found the Huber maps useful - i am not sure if they have mapped as far as Ulm - they can be purchased from Cartovelo. The route signage is inconsistent - as far as we could tell it varied from departement to departement with some very good and some absolutely non-existent so you definitely need to have good maps. Have fun!