Corsica - where to stay?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ericonabike

Corsica - where to stay?

Post by ericonabike »

Am planning next year's adventures, and a week in Corsica is high on the list. This would combine bike and beach - bike for me and beach/swimming pool for Mrs ericonabike. I've looked at some of the threads that mention Corsica, which are all positive, but I'm not sure where to base us for best beach/bike combinations. I'd be looking for 50 - 80 mile round trips. Any suggestions?
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
eileithyia

Re: Corsica - where to stay?

Post by eileithyia »

Hmmm difficult, trouble with a beach based area isd the limited directions in which you can cycle.
Perhaps look at the north of the island, somewhere near the railway line, which could give you extra scope for a train assited journey to somewhere further afield.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The rail network is quite limited but it does cross the central mountains. Are mountains a challenge or a necessary evil?
http://home.nordnet.fr/~lbeaumadier/geoen.html

Its run by sncf. http://www.ter-sncf.com/Corse/ and I couldn't immediatly see the velo policy.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Ile Rousse might be good choice, good beach, small town, some good rides inland and along the coast, you could go round Cap Corse from there too given your mileages, and as Eileithyia says, jump on the train to extend your range, up to and beyond Corte etc. For example, train to Corte, cycle via Scala de Santa Regina to Col de Vergio, down to Porto and round coast to Calvi and Ile Rousse.
The train takes a small number of bikes hanging by the wheel style, or it did last time we were there in 2005.
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Thanks for suggestions so far - mountains are a challenge, rather than to be avoided, so happy to do some col-bagging. Hadn't realised there was a railway at all, so that's a useful pointer. Seems like north coast may be the place to be?
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

We did a clockwise circuit of Corsica two years ago & thoroughly enjoyed the expirience.Great scenery & very considerate drivers!
Would normally have used hostels, but not many of those so used small hotels.
Also took the train up tp Corte & then rode back down to coast-very exciting decent!
The charge for the cycles was more than for a passenger & cycle charging had only recently been brought in!
Not many places around where one has to stop to allow a family of wild boars to cross the road in front of you!
PW

Post by PW »

The north and west has the best scenery, Cargese has the best food (An admixture of Greek amongst the Franco-Italians, the descendants of the last Byzantine Emperor still live there). Hope you like mountains!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
raybo

Post by raybo »

You might find these two links of interest. One is a thread on this site with a Corsica bike tour write-up and the other is from bikeradar.com with more info.

Ray
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Info received with thanks, and it's looking good, especially with cheap flights available [I bike to work every day, so justify flying that way :-)]